WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of New Hillcrest Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nairobi
New Hillcrest Hotel
Ranked #72 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Barcelona, Spain
“Bad value in Nairobi”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

I arrived at the New Hillcrest Hotel directly from Nairobi's airport (having flown in from Amsterdam) and was rather certain that I'd arrived at the wrong hotel....the place seemed deserted and rundown, with a forlorn, rusty sign outside the iron gate marking the entrance. Entering the hotel confirmed my suspicions...this hotel was not the pleasant and reasonable place I'd expected for the US$50/night price. Mind you, the staff was kind, but the conditions of the facilities were very poor and should have been priced at something more like $US15. Hot water was available only in the early mornings and evenings - not in the afternoons or late night. The mattress was in poor condition, as were the sheets. There were no screens on the windows. I'm a frequent traveler to Africa and other developing parts of the world, and if I were paying $15, I would consider this reasonable and could tolerate the bad conditions. I mentioned to management the disconnect between the price and the facilities, and the response was "we are in Westlands, it's very expensive here." High costs are no excuse for letting a property become totally rundown (including a broken toilet seat in my room's bathroom). As soon as I got my bearings in Nairobi I switched hotels and found a hotel of similar price offering apartments with a kitchen (in good condition) - a phenomenal improvement. The Hillcrest does offer easy walking access to some things in Westlands, but it's a very poor value. I would recommend the Kenya Comfort Suites Hotel on Milimani Rd. (not the Kenya Comfort downtown).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank folkestad

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Families