“Ride an ostrich”

Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Ride an ostrich”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I visited the ostrich farm on a lazy weekend with the express aim of riding an ostrich for the first time in my life. The first time I went there i was scared of riding the ostrich which is why I was now determined to pull it off. The establishment is in an old colonial style house. The drive there is long but the road is in good condition. The distance makes it a lovely getaway because there is very little outside distraction.

I got there at lunch time and was lucky to find the place not very busy. The reception guys were very helpful and they even agreed to move me to a different room after they showed me a much bigger room which I instantly liked. I was lucky that the weekend was not very busy. The bathroom (quite large) has a bathtub (a bonus) and the hot water is reliable.

I had a platter dish with various meats with ostrich meat being the highlight. I had forgotten how it tastes. Dinner was equally good but generally plain so the highlight was actually the different types of meat available, which I really enjoyed.

There was not much for me to do at the place so I ended up chatting with other guests in the evening. There is a swimming pool that is well kept. Good for those hot afternoons that Kajiado tends to have. They also had a bbq on Sunday and events for kids such as facepainting.

The next morning we went on a tour of the farm during which we learnt a lot about rearing of ostriches. At the end of the tour, the ostriches that we were to ride were brought to the riding area.

The ostrich riding is quite safe because there are two guides who help the visitor sit on the bird without falling off and then they guide the bird around the area. If you are brave enough, they make it run.

I enjoyed the stay and relaxed quite a bit. Definitely worth another visit.

Room Tip: The rooms inside the house are much warmer than the tents.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Martin_Wahogo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Islamabad
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was there on 15th Jan. Its a nice and cool place to see. The guided tour shows you the life cycle of ostriches. You will definitely enjoy, if you are an animal lover. You can have a ride over tamed ostriches. The staff is really cooperative. In the end you can also taste the dishes made with ostriches meat. Its a nice relaxing place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Noman1992
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went here with my business partners and our families for an end year reunion. The food, though pricey was mostly cold.

Other than a pool, TVs, swings for the kids and ostrich rides there is nothing really that exciting to do the whole time/day.

You end up retreating into groups to talk but nothing actively communal to do as a group in-spite of the great exclusive location with wide spaces.

Most of the greener outdoor places were muddy, a sign that the area floods during rain season.

Either there is no adequate parking or it was simply not thought through hence vehicles were merely heaped along the karb which was not interesting.

The staffs were helpful though and the kids enjoyed the separately paid pool.

• Stayed December 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place is located a fair ways outside of Nairobi, so it ended up being over an hour's drive for us. Still, it was well worth the trip (once, anyway - I don't know that I would go back unless I had guests from out of town who wanted to experience the novelty of riding an ostrich). The resort is a little run down, but still makes for a pleasant afternoon. I took my three kids and they enjoyed the playground, inflatable bounce house, and the pool. We had a delicious lunch of nyama choma, which is basically a giant plate of various grilled meats - Ostrich meat is surprisingly good! The highlight of our visit, though, was when the kids got to clamber up onto a saddled, 6 foot tall ostrich and ride it around. Those birds can really move! We also took a tour of the ostrich farm, which was very interesting and we all came back with our heads filled with Ostrich trivia. Bottom line: not a bad way to spend an afternoon if you're looking for an easy day trip out of Nairobi

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike P
Holtsville, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Located about 30 minutes from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, the Maasai Ostrich Resort was a fun last stop before we headed home. If you are planning on visiting this resort I would recommend taking an afternoon trip here and not spending the night as it is a fairly pricey resort, unless you are with children as this facility has a pool, playground, bounce house and many other activities for kids to enjoy. The facility has a nice outdoor restaurant where they grill various meats including ostrich and provide you with the opportunity to view the farm (which is home to some 30,000 ostriches) and even ride an ostrich if you choose. If you have never tried ostrich meat I would highly recommend it, we expected it to taste like duck, or goose, or some kind of gamey poultry but it was far from that. The ostrich meat was more similar to a steak in flavor but the texture of brisket. So if you have some extra time on your vacation I would recommend a nice day trip to this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron W
London, England
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were a large family group visiting this hotel from central Nairobi for the day. We did not actually sleep in the hotel so stars are given based on what we saw when looking round.
Unfortunately, the place is a difficult drive from Nairobi so try to go on the way to or from somewhere else. The last stretch had unmade road (about 20-30 minutes). It is a remote place so it is very relaxing and has a good atmosphere with lots of ostrich hide decorations. It was clean and reasonably well cared for. There is an outdoor swimming pool and children's play area. We did the ostrich tour (30-40 minutes) which was interesting as you are told a lot about them and can see them at different stages in their development. Finally, each of us had an ostrich ride which was great fun. There is currently only 1 ostrich capable of doing this and if you look too tall/fat it is not possible to ride, only to sit on. The meal was very pleasant but noone wanted ostrich as we had got too friendly with them!!! An interesting trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Masai Ostrich Resort is located past Kitengela town, along a long stretch (7km?) of unmade road through farmland.

The place was very empty when we arrived. We were given the pick of their accommodation, rooms within the main building – two which had 2 double beds in each, and one that was a suite though little bigger than the others) and tents in the gardens. We opted for the inside rooms as the weather wasn’t great. The bedroom was huge, with a sofa, table, TV and loads of wardrobe space. You could hold a party in the bathroom and still have space to move, it was that big!

The grounds of the hotel were very attractive, with a pool that looked decidedly green, maybe they don’t bother cleaning it out when the hotel is quiet. Beyond the tents, behind a hedge, are the ostrich enclosures. They will take you on a tour of the farm (at a small cost), something we didn’t do as the weather was poor on the afternoon that we were there.

The food was quite reasonable, both in price and quality. Not surprisingly, ostrich meat was on the menu in various forms. I had the ostrich rolls for lunch, quite chewy as they had been overdone, but the ostrich fillets I had at dinner were very tender and tasty. Breakfast was quite good; a selection of fruits, weetabix, eggs/bacon/sausage and toast, with juice and tea/coffee.

We left the next morning, a Saturday, as I felt that the place didn’t feel so special that I wanted to spend longer. Maybe that was unfair as it probably got busier at the weekend because it wasn’t too far from Nairobi. Perhaps I should have given it the benefit of the doubt and stayed a further night. With better weather on the morning we left, a tour of the farm would have been very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends