“The actual tree is disappointing, food was good”
Review of Thorn Tree Cafe

Thorn Tree Cafe
Ranked #45 of 597 Restaurants in Nairobi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We went to this café after reading about it in a guide book that described the famed "Thorn Tree Notice Board." With the advent of the computer age, the notice board itself is now very sad and the lone acacia standing in the middle of the outdoor seating area is rather bare. The food was good, but maybe a little overpriced. If you are looking for a nice evening away from your hotel doing something different this place would be good; otherwise you may find just as good food at your hotel's restaurant depending on where you stay.

2  Thank Rayland44

Reviewed March 13, 2014

As a regular at the Thorn tree, I am disappointed by the turn of events. Your toilets were smelly last evening, the service from staff poor and complaints to your customer service was met with rudeness. Whenever I post a negative tweet, all i get is assurances that there will be improvement. Shame that months later, it is actually much worse!

Ben K, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued support and for taking time out to give us your valuable feedback.

We value constructive feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor and improve our services, and thus exceed our guests’ expectations always.

We have noted with a lot of concern your comments on the aspects of lapse in customer service. We assure you that the issues raised will be duly addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thorn Tree Cafe.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Imagine craving a Salade Nicoise and cafe au lait on a Sunday afternoon in Nairobi. Walk in to the Thorn Tree Cafe and be greeted by a pleasant hostess who has no problem with you refusing her seating offer and choosing your own seat in the middle of the breezy sunlit patio. Note the background jazz unobtrusively mask the street traffic, and order your meal from an attentive but unobtrusive waiter.

While you sip your drink, note that the message board from 1902 still remains in the center of the patio (now closed off from the street), as a polite nod to tradition. (Make a mental note to contribute to the variety of whimsical writings posted by customers.)

Meet Gerard the Giraffe (my name for him - we later agreed that I could call him Gerry next time we meet) whose quizzical countenance will capture your attention after awhile...he is a life-sized steel plate welded sculpture who appears complacently comfortable in the surroundings. (And not too judgemental of your grossly overwritten review as he looks over your shoulder.)

Your generous salad will arrive presently with fresh butter lettuce, multicoloured sweet peppers, crisp haricots, artichoke hearts, and tuna (alas not fresh, but still perfectly acceptable). Ruminate with Gerard and enjoy the breeze, feeling relaxed and refreshed. Remember to try some of the fresh rolls that come with the salad - the sesame seeds are fresh!

Thank you, Anthony (waiter) for not inquiring about my home country, my business or requesting my business card, but concentrating on how to make my dining experience pleasant and professional.

Great start to a week-long business trip at the Stanley.

Now, if only I can get my room changed to a higher floor with a view, I'll be in Stanley Sartori.

1  Thank winxalot
David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Mr. Winxalot,

Greetings from the Sarova Stanley and the Thorn Tree Café.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your very insightful and enjoyable review –
Your review captures the imagination and sets the scene for what we aim to offer all our guests – astute service, backed by quality meals all served in a renowned ambiance.

We thank you for your comments regarding your Meal and you server – Anthony – indeed he has been acknowledged for the his efforts in excelling at his duties.

We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your meal experience – and with the change in room, hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was indeed a pleasure to host your and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Spacious, courteous staff, good menu. I am not much of a food person but even then I always find the variety of meals helpful. Good for some quiet meetings too.

David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Digital Doctor,

I would like to thank you for choosing to dine at Thorn Tree during your stays and reviewing its services.

We believe not only in serving quality meals to our guests but also offering them variety; thank you for highlighting the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Reviewed February 10, 2014

The atmosphere and menu selection. there isa new giraffe part of the thorn tree. this makes it even more exciting.

David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Letters from Diani,

I would like to thank you for choosing to dine with us at Thorn Tree and share your feedback.
The giraffe is a new addition, and it provides an excellent companion to our famous Thorn Tree – hence, we are so happy to note your appreciation of the same.

Please do visit us again soon, we look very much forward to welcoming you back.