“Excellent Fine Dining option”

Tamarind Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 572 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

One of the best foods I had during my stay in Nairobi.
- The service is excellent.
- The breads served with the foods are really hot and delicious.
- I had T-bone steak, which was excellent.
- My friends had Bombay Fish and Prawns and they were blown away.
- The desserts platter was lovely
- We had the fish soup which was a little average
- Did I appreciate the service enough!

If I am in Nairobi again for a day, this is the place that will top my list!

There are newer reviews for Tamarind Restaurant

Reviewed November 19, 2013

famous for its seafood, we visited in a group. Good service, Good concept (s), personalized service....food was good

what can improve is portion size and vegetarian options. Interiors also need refresh

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a fairly upmarket seafood restaurant in the CBD. The service was fine and so it should have been because it was almost empty. The food was very good, we tried the Prawn Masala Curry which was very tasty and a decent sized portion. The wine was expensive and not the best quality so perhaps avoid the wine list. Overall I would dine here again but its not the most exciting choice.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We went there because we'd heard about their quality, mainly seafood dishes.
We tried two different kind of crabs, really good, also tomato soup, and we enjoyed the hole night. Is worth it

1  Thank JRG-CASSINA
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'd heard great things about this seafood restaurant, so went with high expectations.
I started with a wonderful Masai Martini, followed by lovely appetisers of oysters and prawns done in various exciting ways.
My biggest gripe, is that my mixed seafood platter was overcooked. The lobster was sad and stringy, oily and frankly tastless. Sacrillege!
The fish and prawns suffered the same fate, but the calamari was exquisite. Maybe it was their chef's night off.
Desserts were novel, but a bit bland.
Wines were good.
For such a fine restaurant, with an enviable reputation for fine fare, our group had it pretty much to ourselves. Not a good sign. Or did they open especially for us? It was a Sunday night, after all.
Wines were good, the range excellent and the stained glass windows were worth a visit in their own right.
I wouldn't say don't go there. Others in our group made different choices and were delighted with their meal. However, a number that had the mixed seafood platter were of the same opinion as I was and very disappionted our precious seafood was overcooked!

1  Thank fional943