“Impressive gem for seafood and service”

Tamarind Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 573 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Reviewed December 7, 2012

A welcome surprise in the middle of Nairobi. The service was fantastic and friendly. The food is wonderful and fresh but very expensive - I would recommend this for a special occasion or a business dinner with generous expense account.

My octopus and mushroom appetizer was mediocre and too tough (I have enjoyed this dish in Spain and France so I know it can be done very well and was excited to see it on the menu). My main course, Prawns Piripiri was very impressive and incredibly tasty - I could not get enough of the amazing sauce. I would highly recommend this dish. My dessert was fantastic - Chocolate Concorde and I appreciated the creative touch of a unique fortune spelled out on my plate in chocolate with my name included. A nice touch!

John and Amus were our servers and made us feel welcome with our 11 month old baby even though the stuffier maître d' told us babies were not welcome. However, he did say he would seat us since we had already arrived and there was a bus strike on. Strangely enough there were 3 other children in the restaurant already. This is a formal dining experience so I understand but I do honestly have an amazing baby who does not cry and is easy to go out to eat with.

My Fiance loves this place and I was pleased I got to experience it as it is a special place. I wish I could give it a 4 1/2 rating, sometimes a girl just needs to add a half :)

There are newer reviews for Tamarind Restaurant

Reviewed November 16, 2012

It was a beautiful experience.... Had lots of fun and the service was great... Looking forward to going back

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Don't worry about Nairobi's distance from the sea. This restaurant has been serving the best seafood in town for around three decades now.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The food is great, the atmosfere and ambiance is great. The chef prepares very tasty food and visits each table. Service is unfortunally avarage and not at the same level as the food.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Best restaurant in Nairobi, it's on the upper side of things so good for occasions like anniversary,B/day or a romantic dinner. Not for kids though.