“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We’ve always stayed in the Serena Hotel after our safaris’ but this year, on our 4th visit to Nairobi, we decided to try the Tribe Hotel for a couple of nights.

The Hotel itself is modern, contemporary, smart and very nice. We were in a deluxe room which included a very comfortable bed, great shower, plenty of towels and complimentary shampoo, body wash etc etc. These rooms were very nice and I’d have loved to have been able to afford one of the more expensive rooms, they must be amazing ! There is a free mini bar on your first night’s stay which includes a variety of soft drinks & nibbles, always welcome.

The breakfast area was naturally lit and bright due to being glass fronted, very nice. The hot and cold food was buffet style with a large, varied choice of food, we all really enjoyed our breakfast.

There are a few bar areas within the Hotel, in the main part of the building and a rather lovely small bar up on the 4th floor that is open at night, a nice place to sit and relax with a drink and friends. We found the bar prices very reasonable considering how upmarket this hotel is, a pleasant surprise.

We used the pool area for the couple of days that we were there and it was exceptionally clean, plenty of sun loungers and very relaxing.

The Hotel is attached to a Village Market with a number of shops and restaurants which was nice to walk around. It is very safe due to numerous guards on duty.

Our only complaint about the Hotel was the food available to us for dinner. When we tried to eat on our first night we were given what seemed very basic menus, almost ‘bar menus’ with not a great deal of choice, rather disappointing. We were told these menus covered both the bar area and the dining room. We ordered as we were hungry and the food that did arrive was very nice, couldn’t complain. I’ve read other reviews on here about people only being offered buffet food at night, we were never advised of this or read anywhere in the hotel that we could have this, we would have welcomed a buffet dinner. As a result of this we ate the next two nights (we had a late flight on our last night) in restaurants within the nearby Village Market – I imagine not what the Hotel would have wanted.

We intend to return to Nairobi next year and hope to stay in the Tribe Hotel again – provided we know we can get a decent choice of food for dinner.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed here because it was the closest luxury hotel to my conference at the United Nations compound. The facilities are wonderful and the Tribe hotel is connected to the Village Market. The Village Market is an indoor/outdoor shopping mall that not only has many shops, but also has bank ATMs and a very good grocery store. I went to the Friday Maasai market which was huge with many vendors pushing their textiles, baskets, carvings, jewelry, clothes and souvenirs. Be ready to bargain. The Tribe Hotel meals, though, were average and service could have been more attentive. For example, i ordered one of their smoothies and was not given the one I ordered. When i told the waitress, her only rrsponse was that "well, this is what the bartender gave me " - no apology or offer to get the correct one. The chefs at the breakfast cooking station were great for the eggs - although the only option for cheese omelets was Parmesan cheese. However, when the hotel found out that I liked Earl Gray tea later in my week there, they bought it and made it available. For anyone needing a wheelchair accessible room, be sure to ask for their accessible hotel room. All the rooms were beautifully designed and decorated. Shower includes a "rain shower" but the towels were almost threadbare. They definitely need to upgrade their towels. There is a Spa on site, but when I went to it and asked to see their facilities, they could not show me - saying that the rooms were occupied. Do not ask for a room by the pool, because the parties re very noisy. Overall though, I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
Mombasa, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stay in Tribe during may and i enjoy it there. Rooms are not so big, but very comfortable and clean. Just in between bedroom and bathroom there is nothing and you can see and also hear all from shower and toilet. It is a nice design, but i prefer a little more privacy when i am at toilet. Food was excelent and also location is great. You can buy new suit, shoes, shirt and tie in half an hour if you need. It is really nice place to stay. I spent there 3 nights for business reason.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I have recently spent 8 nights at the Tribe hotel, and have enjoyed every minute here. The staff are fantastic, I threw a bunch of curveballs at them, and it was all handled perfectly. The gym is great, with a trainer on site during the day, the food is great in the restaurant.

A couple highlights:

1. The rooms are wonderfully decorated in an African style. Bed is very comfortable, and the rooms use energy saving technology, which I feel is important for any hotel in our day in age.

2. The housekeep staff are fantastic. Here are the following things I asked of them - all handled perfectly: 1. I had a suit that needed dry cleaned, but the zipper broke. The had it fixed, no extra charge. 2. I needed a razor, I called to ask for one, and the knock at my door came within 30 seconds. 3. I was checking out for a day or two, then checking back in. I didn't want to wrinkle my suit, so I asked them to hold it for me. They did, and it was hanging in my new room when I arrived.

3. The general staff are great too. George, the most amazing guy, concierge, remembers my name and greets me every time I arrive. The rest of the staff is no different.

4. Mark, the hotel manager, cares deeply about how this place functions, and the high level of service they give. Kudos to you, Mark.

Overall, highly recommended - very comfortable, reasonably priced, and high quality hotel.

Room Tip: Tell themw what you want - as far as I could tell, they are all good...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim D
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stayed here in July this year before heading to Safari.

Lobby, common area, and restaurants:
They look clean. Design is modern and stylish, though I think it lacks characteristics. It looks just like another design hotel in any big cities. You don't even know that you are in Nairobi once you step in the hotel. I like the Moorish style open-air roof-top bar/ lounge.

Breakfast is good, with many choices.

Check-in and the room:
Now, turning to the bad side. We checked in around 3.30 pm. When we checked in, I asked to confirm that we had a twin bedroom with two beds as requested during reservation. They told me that they did not have twin bedroom available at that moment. I insisted to be re-assigned from double room to twin, and they said no room was available and I had to wait. They told me that it would be ready in about 15 minutes.

Then we waited. Of course, 15 minutes had passed and the room was not yet ready! So, we decided to walk to the shopping mall nearby and finally we were able to check in at 5.30 pm. To our surprise, they had assign a room for the disabled to us! This room is located right next to the reception on the ground floor. The bad thing is, we don't need the facilities, and because it was designed for that purpose, the bathroom has no bathtub, no doors, and water would spilled out on the floor when taking shower! Since it was already quite late (almost 6 pm!), and it was just a one-night stay, we decided not to argue with the reception and requested another room change.

This is not a cheap hotel. The room rate is not low. And I was greatly disappointed by the slow check in, the delay in room assignment, and finally, the wrong assignment of room, and the poor design of the room for the disabled. Don't they need to have a door for the bathroom? As even people on wheelchair would need some kind of privacy and water do come out regardless of the physical state of their guests.

Location:
The location is convenient with a big shopping mall next door. It is in a well-to-do neighbourhood, with many embassies nearby. Save the problem with the room, staff are OK in general.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms in the ground floor near the reception!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank TripMember06092015
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Honkie_HK,

Thank you for your review dated October 1st, 2011. I highly appreciate you taking the time to write this review and expressing your concerns.

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your wonderful compliments about the design and cleanliness of the hotel. We have tried as much as possible to maintain the feel of Kenya within the hotel with over 800 art pieces by some of the most renowned artists around the country, I am sorry this did not live up to your expectations.

I apologize for the mix up with your reservation, this is totally unacceptable and I would like to assure you that I am looking into the matter with our Reservations department.

3 minute check-ins are our hotel standard and I am addressing this matter with our Front Office department to ensure that delays do not occur in the future.

Being one of the only hotels in Kenya to offer handicap accessible rooms, our rooms have been designed to meet specific requirements whilst still maintaining the contemporary warmth and feel of the other rooms. Open plan bathrooms are a standard in all our rooms and appropriate drainage systems are currently being put into place to ensure that no flooding occurs at anytime.

Once again I apologize for any disappoints during your stay but I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity to change your opinion about Tribe.

Please do no hesitate to contact me directly the next time you plan to visit.

Kind Regards,

Mark Somen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed at this place while in Nairobi on business. It is everything you would imagine a boutique hotel to be! The lobby is decked out in modern furnishings with tech music playing. The bar has some great cocktails. The pool looks fabulous (though it was too cold while I was there to use it) and the hotel also has a great gym with some gleaming equipment. There is a sun lounge on the fourth floor which was super fun and had a great hookah bar. My friends and I spent alot of time relaxing up there after work!

The room service and restaurant serves food that is only so-so (I did like the club sandwich though!), but the included breakfast is really nice and service is excellent.

The spa at the hotel is also great with reasonable prices (when compared to similar services in the US). I had the aromatherapy massage, which was excellent, and a mani/pedi during my time there.

The rooms were great as well, and the service is fabulous. Though I will say housekeeping can be VERY eager so I found I needed to leave my "do not disturb" sign up on weekend mornings when I wanted to sleep in. My room did not have a tub, but many do so if you want one be sure to speak up when you check in.

All in all, this place is incredible and I would stay again if given the opportunity!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We were recommended Tribe as being a new hotel and in a good location.

The hotel is relatively new and from what I saw of Nairobi, this looked like one of the best hotels there. It has the mod cons of a modern hotel with nice rooms, bathrooms etc and pretty decent facilities (when you find them). Standard breakfast is served and we didn't have lunch or dinner there.

As in everywhere we went in Kenya, the staff were really excellent.

Room Tip: No real difference between the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple