“coolest hotel in nairobi”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tribe Hotel

Tribe Hotel
Ranked #9 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Michigan
“coolest hotel in nairobi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

great, beautiful hotel - very cool vibe
but super expensive
and they are kinda coasting on their cool rep
lots of little maintanence issues in my room
but, the management was quick to make most of them right very quickly

bottom line, for that price, stuff should be darn near perfect
if it's not, then complain soon -- and they will make it right

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank joesindorf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Kisumu, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Tribe is superb. It is stylish and comfortable and filled with friendly staff who will welcome you on a return visit. While I slightly prefer the laid-back setting of Fairview, Tribe is a great place in all respects and benefits from being located right next to village market. This is especially convenient when I am there for work and my family comes along, as it gives them easy access to something to do. Breakfast is very good, the rooms are very nicely decorated and comfortable. Location is near the UN and many of the embassies.

• Stayed June 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed 4 nights at Tribe Hotel. The hotel is really lovely. The service is fantastic. I however, find the food a little boring. Will I stay ther again? ... 100% Yes.

• Stayed July 2011
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed three nights at Tribe on our trip to Kenya before taking a flight to Masai Mara.
It is in a great safe location and we had great relaxing family time playing mini golf and bowling. Water Park was not appealing as weather was too cool for water parks. Food was great too and staff very polite.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jorefalo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

On the one side it is very hip boutique. Kinda like the African version of SOME Kimptons in America. The room is real small, but very cool. One or two nights is fine, but I stayed 5 days and all I wanted is desk space and less chic-africa. The front desk at check in guy was good the girl looked at me like I stunk. Maybe I did. Anyway, it was a biz trip. The best thing about the hotel was the Concierge. She is Kenyan but lived in Texas. She was fantastic. The food was just ok. The bartenders on the fourth floor were SLOW and Lazy. I was the only person in the wonderful outdoor space and it took him 10 mins to fix my gin and tonic. No kidding. The day before I came and many of the Indian guests were smoking that fruit stuff and I felt like the bartenders did not want me there because it took them 15 min to recognize me and then I ordered an cheese plate that never came. I left in disgust. I travel alot and I'm not a person out to get these folks, but the staff overall at this hotel is very unimpressive. Don't come here for hospitality unless you only need to speak with the Concierge.

Room Tip: Pool Rooms are best, but Loud if there is an event
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank LEADerPhilly
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear LEADerPhilly,

Thank you for your review dated July 5, 2011.

I appreciate you taking the time out to write this review and express your comments.

At Tribe, we strive to maintain a benchmark of excellence in every aspect of our offerings. It is constructive criticism like yours that will help us achieve this.

The points you have raised are highly significant. I sincerely appreciate the compliments and will personally look into addressing our shortcomings.

I apologize for the inconsistency in service that you experienced and I would like to assure you that we aim to acknowledge and appreciate each of our guests in every interaction and I am truly sorry that we have fallen short of our own expectations. I have taken this matter up with the departments involved.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Mark Somen
Chandigarh, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We were expecting BIG things from the Tribe- it's called the best hotel in all of Nairobi and I feel like it could have been much much better. It was not lacking anywhere in the service department, but the rooms felt a bit strange and I never really got comfortable. It would be ideal as a business hotel, but after three days- it was a bit suffocating. Not quite sure why they have those golden curtains by the rooms on the ground floor-makes it a bit tacky.
I think the food doesn't cut it either. It was all a bit boring, in my opinion.
On a brighter note, the NEST- the rooftop bar is great and we had a wonderful time sitting there just drinking some wine and beer. I would recommend having some bities available at the bar- after all we are paying a bomb to stay there!
One night we got absolutely NO sleep because the generator was on the entire night and it sounded like it was above our room and the AC didnt work and it was pretty awful!
Oh! and the mini bar was empty! Very odd.
The proximity to the village market is good, but I am not sure if I would go back there ,unfortunately.
Everyone working there was very friendly and professional and there were a few goof ups that they fixed in no time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KismetJewellNakai
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Dear KismetJewellNakai,

Thank you for your review dated July 3, 2011.

We appreciate your feedback and all the points raised are very valid. I can assure you that I have taken them up with each respective department.

Being a boutique hotel, each of our guest rooms differ in layout and design. I apologize that yours did not live up to your expectations and hopefully when you are back here, you will be more pleased with your room.

As a hotel standard, the complimentary mini bar is fully stocked on the first night only. I do however hope that you enjoyed the other complimentary amenities we offer.

We are currently reconstructing our entire main kitchen, and are therefore operating from our much smaller banquet kitchen, which is why the temporary menu is rather limited. We plan to relaunch our new restaurant in September. I am sure you will be delighted with what is on offer.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the generator caused you. We are actually in the process of acquiring a new one, which regardless of the unpredictable power cuts, will be able to accommodate all our AC units.

I am glad you enjoyed NEST and our service.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are here.

Kind Regards,

Mark Somen

Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is the third and final hotel i have stayed at in Nairobi because i dont need to keep looking for a better place to stay. The airport transfer was flawless, the room was awesome, and the free wifi worked great. I was impressed by the quality and style of the room and am looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business