“Simply Amazing!”
Review of Tribe Hotel

Tribe Hotel
Ranked #4 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at the Tribe hotel for 6 nights. Tribe reminds me of a contemporary boutique hotel that one would find in New York City, but with an African flare. From the contemporary, African art draped lobby to the comfortable and sleek rooms, Tribe delivers an overall exceptional experience.

The room is full of amenities that would make a stay top quality, including a comfortable bed, large bathroom, rain shower, flat screen TV, Wi Fi, bottles of water, coffee/tea.

The staff are friendly and attentive, service is professional.

We went to Nest, the intimate outdoor rooftop lounge at the hotel. The bartenders have an arsenal of refreshing cocktails at their disposal. My absolute favourite is the passion fruit mojito!

The food at the hotel restaurant was delicious! Our only complain was it took a long time for the food to arrive at our table. The restaurant staff was very attentive and apologetic though.

One night I was alone for dinner, so I walked to Village Market by myself and I felt completely safe. Village Market is filled with little boutique stores, a supermarket, restaurants, a food court (with international food options.) We especially loved two stores, Kalabash and Kitengela (both stores have unique, good quality pieces that you won't find at other stores, or see over and over again at any Masai Market.)

I highly recommend this hotel for its great location, attentive service, comfortable rooms, and a long list of amenities. I am planning to return to Nairobi next year with some family and friends, we will definitely be staying at Tribe!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank keja77

Reviewed June 28, 2011

This hotel looks very nice but the service is below par. We were very disappointed by the room that is too small and not very practical.
The food is very average and the spa is overpriced.
Breakfast was fine but not great.
Even the hotel bar looks nice but the food and the drinks are very average.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Dear Jodenice,

Thank you for your review dated June 28, 2011.

It is unfortunate that our room layout did not meet your expectations. However, being a boutique hotel, a number of our rooms in the same category differ in layout and so I hope you will be back for another Tribe experience.

We often run special offers in our Spa and would request that you inquire about them the next time you are here.

I apologize that you were disappointed with our service. We are currently reconstructing our entire kitchen and therefore have been operating from our much smaller banquet kitchen; this has resulted in minor delays in service. We plan to launch our new restaurant in September and hope that you will be back to experience it.

I thank you for taking the time in writing this review and please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are here.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Tribe Hotel. My room overlooked the pool, which was lovely. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly, and the buffet dinner menu at the hotel was very varied and reasonable (US$27). I also loved the decor and all the African art that was displayed throughout the hotel. A bonus was the free WiFi.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed here whilst on business. Lovely hotel and great staff - would recommend the conference facilities too. I was running a workshop and it was a nice environment.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I often visit Kenya for work, and so I vary my hotel visits. The last time I reviewed the hotel was back in 2010, and my initial impression was that it was a refreshing change for the more colonial hotels in Nairobi, but that it was in someways over stylised.

One year on and I felt that I had to write another review, as my recent experience was very disheartening. I don't know if the staff have lost interest or enthusiasum for this hotel, but I have never before been greeted with such nonchalance. Everything was done in their time rather than yours, and there was no sense of urgency about anything, even if you specifically asked for speed.

Check out took 15mins! My 'quick snack' of a pizza took 1.5 hours to arrive (they told me that as they had burnt the first one they were having to make me another!). The people on reception would constantly answer the phone, whilst I was standing in front of them trying to check in. I would routinely have to ask for drinks at breakfast several times before they appeared.

I realise that to some the above points may sound petty, but when you are on business, time is important, and for the price of this hotel, I don't think it is unfair to expect a standard of service, and enthusiasum that matched! I'll be going back to the Serena.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank blyth76
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Dear Blyth76,

Thank you for your review dated June 17th 2011.

I am extremely sorry for your experience with us and I would like to assure you that the issues you raised are not at all petty. Not only did your experience fall short of your expectations but of ours as well. We are aware of the delays guests are experiencing with the check in and checkout procedures we currently have in place, we are working on implementing a whole new procedure which will allow us to achieve our 5 minutes check in and checkout standard.

We are currently reconstructing our entire main kitchen and therefore we have temporarily had to operate from our much smaller banquet kitchen thus resulting in delays with orders. This however is no excuse for you to have felt inconvenienced and I am sorry for this. I am however sure that you will be very impressed with our new restaurant which is due to launch in September and I truly wish that you will give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
I thank you for taking the time in writing this review and expressing your concerns. Your feedback is highly valued and each point raised has been taken very seriously and measures are being put in place to rectify them immediately.

I do hope you will be back to stay with us at Tribe soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in case of anything.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2011

The hotel is in a great place for shopping and also out of town - you may need to worry about traffic if you have other bussiness in town

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had to spend 12 days in Nairobi for work and reservations were made for me at the Tribe. Upon arrival I was told that my reservation was not guaranteed and that I would have to stay somewhere else. Then the story changed, they had room for me for a few of the nights, then magically a room was available for the duration of my stay in Nairobi. I was, however, made to wait for a few hours (until 18:00) to be given a room. The first room I was given was good enough but the shower was open and when used, water got evrywhere, all over the toilet, forming puddles all over the floor. So unless you mopped the floor with a towel afterward, your feet would get all wet if you had to use the toilet. I moved to another room and the shower had a door which was nice. The toiletries smelled really nice. Each room has two french presses with little packets of delicious Kenyan coffee and a kettle. Two bottles of purified water and the coffee are replenished daily. There is an evening service that will replenish water and coffee too, and they set up your bed and leave some chocolates. There is a minibar that includes a few sodas and juices too. There is a pool and restaurant which i did not use. For dinner every day i ate at the village market next door. There is a supermarket there too. All in all the hotel was fine for my needs. Close to the UN and a few embassies.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank joaoYreina
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Dear JoaoYreina,

Thank you for your review dated June 13, 2011. Your feedback is incredibly valuable to us and it is this critical information that helps us achieve excellence in all our offerings.

I am terribly sorry for any inconveniences you may have faced with your reservation. Looking back at the dates you stayed with us, the hotel was sold out and it is for that reason that we were not able to guarantee your entire stay, however we had you listed as priority which is why as our inventory opened up, we were able to give you first priority to additional nights. This however is no reason for you to have felt inconvenienced in any manner and i sincerely apologize for that.

Furthermore, we are aware of the flooding issue with some of our open plan rooms. I would like to assure you that this issue has now been rectified and drains have been put into place to stop the water from spreading out of the shower.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our amenities and complimentary mini bar services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tribe soon, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if i can be of any assistance.

Kind Regards,