“Right up until checkout ...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tribe Hotel

Tribe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Falls Church, Virginia
“Right up until checkout ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Agree with all other reviews - the Tribe is stunning, art, rooms, pool, meals, presentation, service, everything. (A bit pricey though at $235/night - at least that is what I paid.)

All was phenomenal right up until check-out when I seemed to descend into the cheapest hotel in town.

First, they swipe your credit card at check-in, very easy. Then you enjoy your stay. Comes time for you to check-out. Nothing under your door the morning of your check-out. Okay, not the end of the world, and maybe other "classy" hotels don't do that either.

But get to the front desk for your check-out ... unbelievable. (FYI: my experience below happened on 28 May 2011.

I was there at check-out time, 1PM. Had called for a taxi to meet me there at 1PM on a Saturday (to catch a 3PM flight - cutting it close as I found out, but I didn't know that).

Checkout: only three stations / terminals there for a hotel of that size - also for check-ins. Only one of the three stations appeared to be manned by an employee who knew what he was doing. The second was unmanned. The third was manned by an employee who was a obviously a trainee, and sought guidance for every keystroke. Very slow. Then the good employee finishes the laborious process for checking out another guest, and has to leave himself to go out front and arrange a cab for the person he just checked out. Huh? There were porters and bellman standing all over the place, but the one of two employees at the front desk (which also handled check-in's by the way), leaves to arrange a cab.

The worst part - there is a file folder - the old-fashioned kind - on the surface area next to the terminals. It has "Departures" written on it by hand in black marker. The clerk opens this file and manually, one enclosure at a time, shuffles through the enclosures, searching for the respective departees "put it on my tab" charges during the guests hotel stay. A bar bill, a restaurant bill, an arrival airport shuttle bill ($38.39, by the way - for the "salon car") Very time intensive, incredibly manual for a remarkably fine hotel - otherwise. He finally found the one drink I had at the bar. He found the cost of my limo from the airport. (Cost of a limo BACK to the airport, inexplicably, was USD$50, with no explanation.) He then keystroked each of those charges into the check-out system. I watched this all, incredulous. Then he goes back to the folder. "What are you looking for, please?" "Your charge when you checked in." He had to find the paper record of the charge receipt when I checked in, the pre-authorization swipe. He eventually found it among all the other departing guests bar tabs, rekeyed it in, and asked to swipe my credit card again.

Then all sorts of additional keystrokes. Eventually a printer printed out multiple sheets. Sheets were separated, some to one pile, some to another. Eventually a couple sheets were stapled together and presented to me for my signature, I had to sign in two places. Then the check-out clerk had to sign in two places, then a rubber stamp came out (yes, a rubber stamp), and all sort of stamps appeared all over the place. The documents were then laboriously folded and the envelope was presented to me. 1:30PM. (Yes, there had been ONE other guest in the check-out queue before me. But still an incredible period of time.)

Bottom line: maybe, maybe I caught them on a bad day. But their systems were up, the folder in which my "all my charges appeared wasn't new," and the fact that all charges during my 2 day trip were in there and stapled together with multiple backup sheets suggested it was SOP. No work-arounds appeared to being applied - that's just the way check-out worked.

All of this ruined what had been a first rate stay in a first rate (maybe world class) hotel. A shame.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed great.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank GlobalVenturer2230
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear ColonelDad,

Thank you for your review dated May 29, 2011. We highly appreciate the time you have taken out to provide us with this feedback, and I assure you that each issue raised has been dealt with both seriously and carefully.

I apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your check out and I would like to take this opportunity in addressing some of your concerns:

1. There were two Receptionists and one trainee on shift when you were checking out; however it being lunch time, one had gone for lunch leaving just one receptionist and the trainee to man the desk. The queue situation occurred because the receptionist was placed in an unexpected position which required him to take longer than expected in checking out the previous guest. Please accept my sincere apologies for this as this is no excuse because at Tribe we strive to maintain a 5 minute check out procedure under any circumstances.

2. Being a hotel that only comprises of only 137 rooms, we organize registration and departure cards in files according to their room number, however this is no excuse for you to have felt a delay. We are however looking into an alternate system which can be put into place to avoid the unnecessary delay in the future.

3. Looking back at your airport pick up, it indicated that you were booked for a shuttle transfer which we charge at US$40. However, at the time of your pick up, the shuttle bus was not available which is why you were picked up in the Limousine (usually charged at US$50). As this was our oversight we charged you US$40 and offered complimentary transfers back to the hotel each evening for the duration of your stay.

4. By Kenyan law, it is required that we print out double copies of the bill as one is required for the guest and the other for Kenyan tax purposes. We ask our guests to sign these copies as a verification of the amount we are going to charge them in order to avoid any errors.

Once again, I would like to apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced with us and I can assure you that at Tribe we strive to exceed the needs of any traveler and hope you will give us the opportunity to do so in the near future. Nonetheless, I do appreciate that up to that point, you did enjoy the hotel – thank you for your kind words.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are here.

Best Regards,

Mark Somen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

As a seasoned traveller, I spend a great deal of time in various hotels around the world, and Tribe ranks very highly amongst them. Tribe was both innovative and refreshing. It was such a wonderful surprise to find such a great hotel in such a great location. The staff are all extremely warm and inviting. Check in is a seamless experience. The rooms are warm and spacious. The decor is modern and the rooms are full of 'nice touches'. Clearly a great deal of thought has gone into the way that the hotel has been planned. Everything just works very well. There is a great swimming pool, and a fantastic open-air bar on the fourth floor with a bit of a Moroccan feel to it. Well worth a visit. There is also a large market just a short stroll from the main entrance. It was a great place to explore for a few hours. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to business travellers and holidaymakers alike.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travellerUAEDubai
Darien, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Attentive service; clean; comfortable; excellent breakfast spread; high-speed connections; modern; proximity to village market; tight security; well-designed pools; lack of African authenticity; overpriced; small beds

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the pool(s)
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Maevum
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

It's a given that if this sort of deco "African chic" appeals to you, then Tribe is very impressive and is bound to blow you away, on the onset it's absolutely gorgeous. However I cannot say the same for mine and my family's stay! We reseved one night's accommodation and in making the reservation, I requested an extra bed for my son to be put up at turn-down. Well, when we arrived at the hotel at 11.00pm after an exhausting day, no turn-down, no extra bed, not enough towels for the number of people in the room. Mistakes are a given, it's what you do about them that counts. We all 3 of us sat on the main bed for 45mins waiting for the bed and linen. The air con wouldn't turn off so we had to call maintenance at almost midnight. In the morning I ordered room service for breakfast which the said would take 15 mins (cereal and pastries) it took 45mins, they had run out of low fat milk. If you charge a premium rate, back it up with premium service!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
TribeHotel, General Manager at Tribe Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Tselo,
Thank you for your review dated 3rd April 2011. At Tribe, we strive to maintain a benchmark of excellence in all of our offerings and your critical feedback is vitally important to us and much appreciated.
I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the setbacks you faced during your stay with us:

1. As a general hotel policy we do not provide turn down service in late arrival rooms as most guests prefer for this not to be done prior to their arrival – however when specially requested we are more than happy to provide this service for you. You are absolutely right that we should have been proactive and had the bed, as requested, and enough towels in the room, for the appropriate number of people.

2. Air-conditioning issues. Tselo, in a 5 Star hotel, you should expect working Air Conditioning – my apologies that it wasn’t working. Unfortunately we often get AC issues when we have power fluctuations and black-outs.

3. We are currently in the process of re-doing our main restaurant and kitchen which is why guests are facing temporary delays in services. However, we are working on how to make all services, especially Room Service, more efficient so as to avoid delays. We are looking forward to having a brand new kitchen and re-launched restaurant in June.

I personally apologize for your experience and request that you contact me directly the next time you are here.

Kind Regards,

Mark Somen
Bahrain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

If you are particular about cleanliness and like a modern hotel, this is the hotel for you. The design is African chic and the service was really good. Stayed for one night and if I were to go to Nairobi again I would definately stay at Tribe.

Read reviews online prior to travelling. The only concern really was what I read about the bathrooms being open on to the room. I need to mention that the bath and sink are open onto the room whereas the toilet and shower are in a closed section of the bathroom.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danoona
Weybridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I went to Nairobi full of preconceptions about the city, and I was proved completely wrong. I actually loved it, and whilst it will never ever be a holiday highlight of your trip to Kenya (well, given that it is competing against fabulous wildlife and stunning beach destinations, I think that is acceptable !), there is no need to be scared about spending one or even 2 nights here at the start of your holiday, to recover from any lack of sleep from an overnight flight so that you are refreshed and ready for the early mornings that are required for a safari !

I stayed for one night at Tribe, which is in a pleasant green suburb across town from the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. I hit morning rush hour traffic when I arrived (I landed at 6.30 am, so by the time I cleared Customs and Immigration it was nearly 8 am when I emerged into the Nairobi sunshine) - and rush hour traffic in Nairobi is pure bedlam. We sat in a stationary traffic jam, and it took over an hour to reach the hotel. There seems to be no rules on the road - if you see a gap, you drive straight for it, regardless of whether you are cutting anyone up or not. It made for an exciting transfer, anyway.

Tribe itself is the epitomy of ‘urban chic’ - it is a large, new hotel, situated right opposite a small parade of shops and restaurants, so ideal if you wanted a quick shopping fix. When you approach the hotel from the road, it looks a bit daunting - it is a mass of brown concrete, and you may wonder what on earth you have booked … but once you enter the reception area, you forget all this, and you immediately get a great vibe from the hotel.

My room was very spacious - a large kingsize bed with crisp white linen awaits you, and a desk in case you need to write a postcard as soon as you arrive, and an open bathroom with a freestanding oval bath, double basins, and a separate closed off walk in shower and toilet.

The swimming pool is beautiful - during the day, there is a pool bar, and at night, it is all beautifully lit - really stunning. The bar is elegant and trendy, and the restaurant food was extremely good.

The staff were friendly throughout - the check in went smoothly, the check out equally so, even the bar staff and restaurant staff had a laugh and a joke with you.

I was only here one night, but I would definately come back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelButlers
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

It is the most wonderfully stylish, smart and accommodating hotel, and very well located within Nairobi. The finish of the decor and the quality of service here is above what you get is almost every other hotel in Nairobi. The staff are well-spoken, well trained and very attentive. I felt immediately comfortable and very at home alongside the hotel's chique-ness.
The bitings/food at our cocktail party was not only very unique and intriguing in it's presentation but it was delicious. If I can stay here again I will definitely do so, at the drop of a hat.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple