“A Racist Establishment”

Artcaffe
Ranked #1 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“A Racist Establishment”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Art Caffe is a racist establishment. Black people are treated differently and they are lucky if they even get service. White people are shown to a table as soon as they arrive while black people are left to "fend for themselves." Boycott Art Caffe. Racism has no place in the 21st century.

• Visited November 2012
6 Thank Grace146

nairobi
“Racist maître d’hôtel at Westgate branch”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The non-African maitre d seemed more interested in flirting with isolated female patrons of the cafe, rather than working along his job description. I sat there with intention to do my work, and could hear him blatantly voicing his dislike of my kind of folk there (I’m a bearded Sikh). I immediately packed up and left, on the way out I told one of the friendly waiters that I could hear everything he said.

But the waiters and waitresses of African descent are awesome as all Kenyans can be; the giant of a doorman has a beautiful smile!

• Visited May 2013
10 Thank Joeblogs235
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“HORRIBLE !!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Was in artcaffe at the junction some time back. Took waiters twenty minutes to serve us and i noticed some caucasians who came in after us were served promptly. I never took it to heart until this morning when i heard a customer was harrased for trying to buy 8 croissants. Reason given by mgt: his order was large so they told him that had to be pre-ordered. and they actually told him that they wont sell to him coz he is black. Really now !!! 8 croissants have to be pre-ordered ?! And what do croissants have to do with a customer being black? And on complaining, they call the cops on him!!! That was in really bad taste. Horrible horrible horrible !!! Would not recommend anyone if they continue with this racism!

• Visited October 2012
17 Thank Brenian85
Cape Town, South Africa
“Greatest mash ever...”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm a fan of Art Café-regardless of its crap service and slight racial profiling. What makes me go back? The mash.
It's God's gift to Nairobi.

• Visited June 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“Service, serice, service, speed up the service.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I use the Artcaffes regularly, the food is generally a good 4 star, the milk shakes are great and I love the Mango yogart.
The Breakfasts are good but I don't understand why I have to have a green salad and can't change it for a fruit salad, I don't want green first thing in the morning.
Coffee is good.
But the Service...
Oh Lord give me patience. Nay Lord go one better - help them speed it up, it's not just a one off it is every visit and is the same in all their outlets. The problem is institutional and I have stopped going for a quick coffee 'coz the beast just doesn't exist.
If time is not an issue then you'll enjoy it.

• Visited April 2013