“A nice, homely, safe and relaxing experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sandavy Guest House - Kilimani
Ranked #40 of 262 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Hamilton
“A nice, homely, safe and relaxing experience”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed at Sandavy for one night in September. It is a nice and relaxing place to stay, and they look after you well. The food was good. The staff were all very helpful. The room was relaxing and I had a fantastic night's sleep there. It was great to have free use of the internet in the living room. I would recommend Sandavy as a great place to stay and much better and more personal than any hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chillicothe, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I would wholeheartedly agree with all of Carolyn's comments. This B&B far exceeded my expectations, everything from the safari to the world class meals was outstanding and you could not find a better value anywhere. The hospitality and friendliness of Sandi and David plus their entire staff was great, they made you feel welcome and right at home. They patiently answered all questions and made sure we were enjoying every minute of our time. Moses is a true delight, as are all of the staff. You could not ask for a better experience. I would highly recommend the SanDavy to meet all of your travel needs from lodging to safari's and even the tea plantation.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are exceptionally clean and well maintained. They have a variety of rooms to meet t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 16, 2011

The Sandavy is a calm oasis in the middle of bustling Nairobi. They have a variety of room styles and sizes to choose from. There is something for everyone. The rooms are kept immaculately clean, the decor is welcoming and the mattresses afford a great night's sleep. The bathrooms are likewise very clean and have HOT WATER SHOWERS, a commodity not always available in Nairobi. The staff does a great job at making your stay an enjoyable one. The beautiful grounds are well maintained, they have excellent laundry service, there are actual plugs in your room for a hairdryer, and both Sandi and David bend over backwards to insure your stay is a memorable one. The best part, however, was Moses and his 5-star gourmet cooking. I am from the Bay Area in California where we have our choice of excellent restaurants. None of these however have anything on Moses. Everything he prepares is delicious, of excellent quality, and you need not worry about getting sick. He understands our Western stomachs and takes all the necessary precautions. You can eat "worry free".

If it's a safari you want then look no further. The Sandavy made all of our arrangements for a most memorable safari. We went on a three-day adventure to the Massai Mara and not only did we see ALL OF THE BIG 5 but, because of our guide's excellent wildlife expertise, we were also privlidged to witness the GREAT MIGRATION. Paul knew exactly when and where to take us to witness this exgtraordinary sight of a life time!

If you are considering Nairobi and want to feel snug in a wonderful home like environment, eat like a king, and experience the best wildlife that Kenya has to offer, then the Sandavy is exactly what you are looking for!

Room Tip: Just tell Sandi what your needs are and she will do the rest!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I did really enjoy the stay here and would recommend it overall but I felt a little let down by a couple of things that stopped me from giving it a very big recommendation. Firstly, I have to say that the rooms themselves are great and terrific value for money. I also have to comment that the staff member named Jane was terrific. She was very friendly and I really liked her. The cook Moses was also terrific. No complaints there.

There was anothe lady there whose name I never got. She was quite rude and generally unfriendly. She was there when it was Jane's days off and vice versa. Everything seemed to be too much work for her whenever I asked for something.

The other problem I had with Sandavy was th taxi prices. This was double what you pay anywhere else and left a bad taste in my mouth. Kenya seems to be full of people trying rip off Mzungus with extras like this and Sandavy is no different.

Having mentioned the bad things, I must point out that I enjoyed staying here and I hope these criticisms can be looked at by the owners to improve the experience for future guests so they give all 5 star reviews

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chookmeister69
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked this after reading reviews here at TA. Sent an email to a few places, inclusive a couple of hotels just to check things out. Most answered very quickly, including Sandavy. No need to give out credit card details or pay online. Confirmed directly via email and also arranged for someone to pick us up as we were little afraid of Nairobbery =) Airport is a joke, took 2h to get entry visa. But even so they guy was still standing there and waiting for us with a sign. The guest house has a huge solid port with a guard so it felt very safe inside the walls. Lovely garden as some mention before. Just to sit outside and relax, well there was one sale person selling stuff just inside the gate, not sure if he ended up on the wrong site of the wall lol. Well i see the advantages with some up-selling (if that is the correct word) however it was a nice guy, not pushy at all so it was fine just unexpected.

However to the more important parts. House is nice and rooms are big, here is quite and a relax atmosphere. its a common room with TV and computer. Bathroom is clean. Their breakfast is standard. Also make lunch and dinner on request, was good. Owner David is a really nice person, never meet Sandy, but his staff was all very nice and friendly. Felt very welcome! Also they have free WiFi, how can I otherwise write this report now =) This is 2nd night and we are leaving tomo. Just to mention, they also arrange trips and safari, we did a day in Nairobi and it was good. Prices seems to be ok.

Just one extra thing, David told me that USD bills from earlier than the year 2000 is not valid in Kenya. I didnt know this, but KWS (at nairobi national park) surely know this and gave me only exchange in notes from like 1944,1978 etc. I am not american and didnt look, only 10 usd but either way...shows how KWS operate.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dudda_D
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Beautiful grounds and peaceful in the middle of Nairobi. Sandi and David were friendly and made every effort to need our every needs. They offer many services for a great price. We went on excursions right from the guesthouse. They picked us up at the airport with a friendly greeting even though our flight was 2 hours late.Took us to shopping and to another hotel across to when asked. Moses their chef prepares delicious meals and did not disappoint. Will stay again when in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is a B&B. Who needs a 5 star hotel when Sandavy provides all you need? Booking via internet and paying your deposit up front can be dangerous. No need to worry about Sandavy, you are perfectly safe in their hands. We returned after being married at Karen, Nairobi 50 years ago and were treated like newly weds. David and Sandi did it all faultlessly. Advice, itenarary, costing, car hire, pickup, dropoff, safari, the lot. They made it all so easy! Accommodation was adaquete, staff were a joy in all respects. What more can one want? Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Main bedroom big and en suite
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple