“THE BEST RESTAURANT IN NAIROBI!”
Review of The Talisman

The Talisman
Ranked #2 of 573 Restaurants in Nairobi
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Featuring carved wooden pillars from Pakistan, elegant Afghan rugs, charming fireplaces, sprawling terraces and idyllic gardens, The Talisman blends fine dining with unbridled eclecticism. We have made every effort to create the ideal ambience for those seeking a candle-lit romantic dinner, a casual evening drink with friends, an outdoor lunch with family and everything in between ~ And all this is complemented by distinguished service from our cordial staff.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I may have found the best restaurant in Africa, certainly the best restaurant in all of Nairobi! The Talisman in Karen combines all the best elements of a great restaurant! Atmosphere, ambience, food, service, drinks, wine, it has it all. A beautiful location with a natural indoor-outdoor feel and flow, the Talisman has such a great vibe. One truly feels like you're in unspoiled Africa with a lovely patio, trees, intriguing architecture, a wonderful bar/lounge, fireplaces galore, contemporary art, and soft lighting. The chef, Marcus Mitchell, is a world class cook and the wine list matches the gourmet entrees and desserts. A real find and a fantastic destination. You'll find me there most Friday nights! (has a great English breakfast too!)

J C, Public Relations Manager at The Talisman, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Wow! Thanks so much. We love our regular customers and are always glad to see them stop in. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and we'll hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for The Talisman

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been going to your restaurant for some years now.Generally,am happy with their service and food.My only problem is that their t-bone steak,which I have had 3 times,did not impress me.The first time,it was too fatty,the second time,it was tough and the third time,it was well done while I had requested for medium rare.I have given up on this dish at their premises.On their choice of wines,most were dry and we ended up buying a bottle of sparkling that we really did not enjoy.The prawn starter with garlic,ginger was great as well as the feta coriander......

Thanks for the comments, Jad. Did you get the full wine list? We have a very extensive selection (one of the largest in Nairobi, in fact), and our bar staff is always happy to recommend something that will pair well with your meal. We're sorry the T-bone was a disappointment. Next time you come in, give the chef a shout, and let him work some magic for you on a mouth-watering piece of steak. We always want to do our best!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have eaten at the Talisman whenever we are in Nairobi (not often enough). The food has always been marvellous and the ambience superb. Would thoroughly recommend the Talisman.

Thanks so much for the kind words. We're delighted you've recommended Talisman to friends, and we hope you'll come back in more often!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Have visited the Talisman several dozen times, and always found the whole experience amazing.

For Work:

Often during the day when the rigors of the office get a bit much and i look for a nice place to kick up my feet take my laptop and work, away from the hustle and bustle this is the only place, I've tried many places around Nairobi and have found NONE that can compare, the Coffee is better than Dorman's, the cookies and bitings are excellent, as well as the atmosphere not too busy not too quiet, (Not to mention you can actually sit comfortable have a coffee and a cigarette!) Next there is good WI-FI, and all-in-all a whole day of drinking coffee's, breaking for lunch and maybe having a sneaky beer or two after five doesn't break the bank.

For fun:

This place also good, the quite lunch & business bar room fades away into a lively restaurant, The food, has so far, in my experience been excellent every time, although will admit some days to being rather unadventurous and sticking to the burgers that are by far the best in Kenya (if not sub-Saharan Africa), (Chicken wings also rock)

Took a girl on a first date here and was treated like royalty, best service, wine, ambiance I've been treated to in Kenya, and it wasn't lost on my date either.

Last but not least, Friday Nights! I am on the firm belief there is no where else to go, I've tried all of the others around town and have rarely had a good time.

At Talisman on the other hand even at it's most crowded it's still possible to get a drink within 5 mins, You are able to either sit by the fire and have a nice discussion with friends without the need to shout, or on the occasional band night, watch some really good old school tunes. The only down side to Talisman on a Friday night is that the Dance floor... well there isn't one... but that rarely has stopped the usual patrons.

Anyway to citizens of Nairobi, or Tourists traveling through I would firmly recommend this place above anywhere.

J C, Public Relations Manager at The Talisman, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thanks, Joseph! We really appreciate our "regulars" at Talisman--you make it even more rewarding to work here and do our job well. Come back any time for work or play!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I loved the creative menu but feel it is not good value for money. The atmosphere is terrific and the chef is great fun. But its too pricy for what ones gets.

We appreciate all feedback but admit this one was a bit of a surprise, as the most common "complaint" about our portions is that they are too large. We use only the freshest and best ingredients available--no frozen veg or second-rate meat. We're proud sponsors and patrons of the Organic Farmers Market and use their greens for our salads. Yes, quality costs more, but we feel it's worth it for our customers. Cutting costs would mean using inferior ingredients, and we just won't go there. We'll work to achieve a balance between good value and best quality, though, and we hope you'll come back and try us out again.