“Unfortunate Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Unfortunate Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked Blue Posts on other reviews but were very disappointed. Despite its lovely location everything else went wrong. Firstly we rearranged our booking to help them out but when we arrived they did not honour the room agreed. The room they gave us had no hot water in the sink and 24 hrs later they still couldn't honour the agreed room. Unfortunately the food was not up to much and we most certainly will not be going back.

Room Tip: The rooms looking towards the falls look good, but even when you think you've boked one you may...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The location of this hotel, which is around 50 minutes outside of Nairobi and around 5 minutes from Thika town, is outstanding. The natural beauty of the area is breathtaking. The hotel grounds are directly between two beautiful waterfalls, Chania falls and Thika falls. There are numerous species of birds flying around the hotel constantly. Wild monkeys come in and out of the grounds all of the time feeding on the mango and other fruit trees that they have planted on the grounds. You need to ask for a room in the "Chania Falls Area" because the rooms in the rest of the hotel are VERY small and VERY dirty. The rooms in the better area are comfortable, although there is no a/c or fan available in the rooms, which could make it rather uncomfortable in dead of summer. The food was above average and reasonably priced for a restaurant with an amazing view of a spectacular waterfall. There is also an animal park at the back with crocodiles and ostriches which is fun for kids. There's also a really nice shopping area near the animal park, with reasonably priced home-made trinkets.

However, as many good things as I can say about the beautiful scenery, the staff is really, really poor. I just stayed at this place for 19 days. The first day there, while my wife was getting her hair done at the salon, I sat for 45 minutes at a table at the outside of the restaurant with waiters and waitresses going past me, cleaning up tables and taking orders and no one bothered to even wipe my table off. After this I decided to give up and talk to the manager of the hotel, who told me that it was probably that there was a group of "white people" having lunch at the restaurant earlier and they must of thought you were one of them, so they didn't take your order. Really? When my wife returned, I told her that we were going to check out and after she talked to them (she's Kenyan), they gave us a couple free lunches and a room upgrade. The first incident was by far the worst thing that happened during the stay, but the staff, other than Rachel, the front desk operator during the day, was rude and completely underwhelmed to be working in the service of guests enjoying their dinner and/or vacation. Another example, while eating lunch with my wife, her brother family and some friends at their weekend restaurant, Ostrich, we ordered some roasted meat with some Ugali. We were told that it would take 45 minutes. After 50 minutes my wife asked when we could expect the meal. She was told that they were out of Ugali, so she ordered chips, and the rude waitress told her 15 minutes. During this time my wife left our table and joined me and the boys at the bar. After 20 more minutes, the waitress told my wife that she couldn't serve any food at the bar. My wife moved back to the table and after 15 minutes, I went and gently asked when we could expect our food, since everyone in the back was now throwing buckets of water on the grills and washing the floors for closing. The waitress who was busy tabulating her receipts for the day snapped that it would coming soon. After a 5 minute back and forth with the manager, the waitress huffed past me with a plate of meat and a couple minutes after that a plate of chips. I'm not really sure what the point of holding onto the meat for an extra 30 minutes was, since it was clearly ready, but it was the last time we ordered food from the restaurant.

I would like to recommend the hotel, because it has great potential, but under the current ownership I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank JimmieWalker61
Ahmedabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hotel is at an excellent location. The front and back yard of hotel are very beautiful. One can see two water falls, one each on either side of the hotel.
The staff is cheerful. There are very good souvenir & handicraft shops in the backyard of the hotel. You can enjoy some bargaining experience here.
The rooms are a little old fashioned and could do with some upgrading, so does the bathrooms & TV sets in the room.

Room Tip: Go for cottages instead of rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This inn is not the typical tourist hotel, for it seems to cater more to locals than to tourists. In my view this makes it more interesting. It is an old inn, but quite well maintained and has much character. Upon arrival, the front desk attendant seemed to not want to be much bothered by us, but finally acquiesced to give me a form to fill out; then it took quite a while to find a porter to tote our luggage and show us the room.

The room was good and clean. The bath was a bit of an enigma for me because first I could not figure out how to turn on the hot water (switch outside the bathroom high on the wall) and then found it only worked in the shower (not the sink) and was connected only to the blue tap. Once I asked and go this sorted out, I had a nice warm shower. Had the porter had shown us this when we first went to the room, it would have been helpful.

The food was good and the service was ok. Although there were plethora of waiters and waitresses talking amongst themselves, we had to wait for some attention. In fact, when we finished breakfast, I had to wander back into the kitchen to search for our server so I could give her a tip! We had full board, and had asked for a box lunch ready we left the following morning. Although this seemed a completely new thought to them, to our surprise they produced a magnificent and delicious cheeseburger in a box with other goodies.

The Inn was lively while we were there, with two weddings, a graduation party and a band. It was fun to see. Security was good.

The inn has spacious grounds to walk and beautiful view of the falls, but there were not as many birds as I had hoped. I will happily go back there, but if I could gently send a message to the management, they should sharpen their customer service. In my view, the best staff person was the security guard who spent the night outside our block of rooms. He was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hotel is in a serene enviroment a paradox because it is actually within a bustling industrial town of Thika. I loved the outdoor feeling watching and listening to the sound of the magnificent waterfall. The indigenous trees forming a forest like cover around the chania river is a site to behold. Food is of good quality, well cooked and variety is available. The service was abit disappointing though as at some point I had to get assistance from a supervisor after the shift waiter left without refunding change. The rooms are quite good.

Room Tip: Corner rooms give one a homely and private feeling.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Muncie, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

This is not a tourist hotel and the atmosphere is entirely different. It is on a river with two great waterfalls that can be appreciated from the hotel grounds. The rooms are nice but not as one would find in a tourist hotel. There is a computer internet center at the hotel. When I arrived there was a band playing on the grounds and everyone was having a great time with a large local crowd. Fifteen minutes later the rain began in buckets and that was the end of that. I regret that I missed it. The restaurant was good.

Now for the best part. The birding here is outstanding. On the grounds were seen White-headed Barbets (3), Eastern Honeybird, Montaine White-eye, African Golden Weaver, African Citril, Rupple's Robin-chat, Black-throated Wattle-eye, Scarlet-chested Sunbird, Grey-capped Warbler, and Grey-olive Greenbul.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Muncie_birder
John_Ngossorr, General Manager at Blue Posts Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Muncie - Birder,

Thank you for choosing Blue Post as your preferred destination while in Kenya. We are glad you had a good experience during your stay and you enjoyed the tranquility and serenity that the hotel has to offer. You will be happy to hear that we now have free wi-fi at all our outlets and conference halls. Our band now plays every other weekend and public holiday despite the weather. It is important to also note that we have fantastic bird life as you experienced though you managed to spot just a few out of the wide variety we have, we have well trained naturalists who can take you deeper into our nature trail for a greater experience in your next visit.

Asanti sana.

Regards,

John Ngossorr
General Manager.
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Blue Posts is steeped in colonial history (it's mentioned in Elspeth Huxley's 'The Flame Trees of Thika'). It has a very special atmosphere because of this and its location between the Chania Falls and the Thika Falls. We accepted the slightly sad appearance of the unmodernised rooms and the brave but not entirely successful attempts at English breakfast for the sake of the well-kept gardens, the space, the peace (with the sound of the Falls in the background), the friendly staff. The room itself (we had one with a verandah) was a bit gloomy, but spacious, with a comfortable bed and hot water in the shower. Internet access was available at reasonable rates.
(Beware of misleading maps: Blue Posts is not in Nairobi at all. It is just outside Thika - about 4 km NW of Thika centre).

Room Tip: The nicest rooms face out towards the falls.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple