“Pure paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wildebeest Eco Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Wildebeest Eco Camp
You added Wildebeest Eco Camp to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 219 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Dover, England, United Kingdom
“Pure paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My friend and I had had a very busy couple of weeks, we climbed Kilimanjaro and then headed straight to Nairobi to join a safari in the Masai Mara. After feeling disgusting and knackered the camp was the perfect place to go to relax. The rooms were out of this world and you would never have imagined that you were in a busy city. It was so nice to have running water and a real toilet!! Nairobi wasn't one of the nicest places I have been to but the camp was pure paradise. The reception even helped my friend and I organise a day out the elephant orphanage and Giraffe sanctuary too. They couldn't have been more helpful.

The camp was also great value for money, even considering we had one of the luxury safari tents (we think we deserved it after Kili!) :) The food was also really good! I would definitely recommend this place, it really is an amazing African experience. There is also the chance to meet lots of different travellers and different kinds of people as it is also a hostel.

Thanks so much guys, I will definitely be coming back if I find myself in Kenya again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Niel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

It was a nice stay (2 nights), but there was a strange atmosphere. The girls were very nice, this one man from the bar and reception was rude and unpleasant. The owners were there but not really available. They promised us hot showers but we hadn't...
Good place to stay at the beginning of end of your holiday, close to the airport and not in the city centre. Beautifull garden and vey nice tents. Closeby different tourist attractions.

Room Tip: Take a tent not too close to the main deck, bar is open till midnight and people can get a bit noisy...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had a great time staying at Wildebeest! A great place for groups, families and solo travellers. The dormitory tents are snug and warm with amazingly comfy beds. Great food and beautiful restaurant deck looking out over a pond and garden. Lovely surroundings; had a chameleon in the bathroom and a monkey roaming about on our tent roof. Good location... very close to the David Sheldrick Elephant Sanctuary, Kazuri bead workshops, a Nakumatt shop and the Giraffe centre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stay here often with differnt groups of people ( mostly teachers) and every one who comes loves the place and can't wait to return. As Jennifer said below it was a little noisy that week, I am a light sleeper and hardly heard the noise, I do know there was a function happening at the bomas of Kenya, just down the road, so I guess they were the culprits, all I usually hear is the chatter of Baboons in the nearby Ngong forest or the distant cries of Hyaena or Lions coming from the park. I have said it before, if you are staying in Nairobi, stay here, you will not be dissapointed. The staff are great, the grounds are great and the accomadation is great. Good value and great position.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kel c
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at the Wildebeest Eco Camp in the second week of October and really loved the place. The tents are very well appointed and extremely comfortable. I took a tent with an ensuite bathroom which was clean and looked extremely new.
It is a little way off the main road but it offers a pleasant escape from the city as it gives you a feeling of being out in the country. The rates very reasonable and I thought it was great value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Husband and I stayed here two nights on route to Rwanda. Stayed in the tents without ensuite bathroom. Overall the tent was very nice and we would stay there again if not for so much noise in and around the property. It was actually quite horrendous, and I'm a deep sleeper. Next to the property there was music playing almost all night, and on our first night, we had fellow campers at the lodge making food and chatting outside our tent until almost midnight. The Eco lodge should ensure that if people are camping they make their food not next to where people are sleeping. On the first morning we slept in because we had been flying the night before from Canada, so we missed the breakfast. However, the lodge is strict on the allotted time for breakfast (I believe it is served only 0730 to 1030) so instead we had to pay for something to eat. The next morning we left at 0530 for our flight to Kigali and again, no compromise; we were not allowed a breakfast. Even some toast and a banana would have been appreciated.

Bathrooms were clean and there was hot water. Friendly staff. The dinner we had there was good, but as vegetarians we paid the same price as the meat eaters (set price for dinner). Power went out a few times as a heads up, so might want to bring a head light or flash light. Apparently this is common in Nairobi, so no fault of lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank JenniferChern
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is definitely the best camp I have stayed in and value for money. The owners of Wildebeest have considered the comfort of their guests as first priority. I had booked in for 2 nights in a garden tent but extended to 3 as the quiet relaxing environment and comfortable garden tent was much needed after rugged travels in other parts of Africa. The tents are luxurious with comfortable beds and the Wi-Fi works perfectly. I used a shared bathroom which had hot showers and always very clean.
The lovely, jovial Kenyan driver, Kyale, collected me from the airport and 15 minutes later we arrived at the camp. The reception staff are friendly with impeccable customer service, personally taking you to your room and leaving you with a warm smile. Extending the customer service further, the restaurant staff are warm and ready to meet your every need.
The buffet dinner is well worth it as the food healthy and delicious, and the included breakfast includes eggs of your choice and a pot of coffee. The large deck is great for meals and socializing.
I would recommend the camp to anyone looking for a peaceful, comfortable friendly place to stay out of the chaos of Nairobi city but close to both city and airport.
I also recommend their day tour which is good value for visiting 4 key Nairobi sites (elephant orphanage, giraffe park, Karen Blixen museum and bead making workshop).
I am staying in Nairobi another 6 weeks and will be back at the camp on weekends when I need a break!!! I really can't fault this camp.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business