“Good value-for-money property”

Wildebeest Eco Camp
Ranked #2 of 270 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Good value-for-money property”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great intro to Kenya. I liked the fact it's a little removed from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi, but still an easy commute. The property was clean and attractive, the staff were friendly (if a little forgetful with messages), and the restaurant served simple but tasty meals. The tents themselves were clean, with private safes in each. Enjoyed the visits from the resident monkeys daily

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ensuite if you don't like a walk to the amenities
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Houston
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I used the camp as a stop between trips departing from Nairobi and was duly impressed. The location is close to several of the day trip destinations and not too far from shopping, banks, and exchange bureaus. The staff and owner are friendly and informative, and the value for Nairobi is incredible. I rented a bicycle for a few days and although the roads are a bit rough (especially the shoulders of Langata rd) had a great time and got back into my exercise routine. I was a bit worried about sound carrying since I stayed in a garden view tent with shared bath, but I slept well and it was never a problem. The showers were always warm and the shared facilities were well kept. The food is wonderful, particularly the evening buffet on the deck. The deck is also a great place to meet fellow travelers for day excursions and beyond. Cheers Alan!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dive2live
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at Wildebeest Eco Camp once in mid June and again in mid July. The airport pick up was on time with a very friendly driver. He suggested things to do in my short stay in Nairobi. Once arrived, on a red-eye flight and on a very cold morning, the staff were very friendly and made me feel welcome whilst my room was being prepared, providing breakfast and free access to the internet (as I had arrived earlier than check in time). The staff were kind enough to get me to my room/tent before the official check in time and showed me around the public restrooms.
There's a beautiful pond with plenty of green vegetation and various monkeys, though the dogs make sure they don't come close to the viranda where food is served.

On my second stay, staff were very accommodating and even though the keys to my booked room went missing, they upgraded my room and re-opened the kitchen after it had closed to accommodate me. Everyone was very friendly and I believe I met the owner too who served me for breakfast the following morning.

A beautiful location with good clean lodging and a nice common/dining area. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great place to stay if you have to stay in Nairobi. 20-30 minutes from the city but beautiful, comfortable, especially in the luxury tents. Service is great, staff are pleasant and helpful. Great value

Room Tip: luxury tents have en suite bathrooms(obviously cost more)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pumba11
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed in the Wildebeest Eco Camp on the first weekend in October 2013. We stayed in a garden tent which was €39 for permanent tent structure with bed, electricity, lockers and a shared bathroom.

The bathrooms were cleaned regularly and neither of us ever saw them in bad condition. The showers were hot.

It's an oasis in the middle of the city centre with lovely grounds and a peaceful location.

I liked the food that you could buy from the bar - the snacks like sandwiches, samosas etc but I do think the buffet dinner was overpriced at 1,000ksh and we only did the buffet on the first night because of this. Laundry is also expensive.

The location is outside the city centre but well located for the David Sheldrick trust, the Giraffe centre and the Karen Blixen Coffee gardens.

We paid for the airport transfer on arrival to Nairobi and it was great not to have to worry as they were waiting for us in the arrivals lounge.

Overall I highly recommend (have already recommended to people we met on safari) and we have booked it again for our last night at the end of the trip.

• Stayed October 2013
Rome, Lazio, Italy
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were there end June 2013, so very cold. Eating area was outside so very cold there too! But nice people, good service. Bring plenty of warm clothes. Well situated for visit to giraffe reserve and the Karen Blixen house. Despite all prior arrangements, the pre-arranged taxi did not pick us up at the airport, and when we arrived at the Camp (at 5 in the morning after long travel from Italy), the staff did not have a record of our reservation. It was eventually sorted out, but when arriving in Kenya for the very first time with family, it would be pleasant if confirmed arrangements could be respected without any hassle. Good gift shop. Great set up for first night in Kenya before going on safari.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is our second stay here the first time the owners where around and this time the owners have been away. Just last night my partner and I were saying what a great job the staff are doing , everyone seems to be working very hard and is very friendly and welcoming. Being a vegetarian it would be great to have a little more choice on the buffet or offer a slightly lower rate, but after all this is not a luxury resort. This is a fantastic place and I would certainly come back anytime!

Room Tip: There is plenty of space for kids to run around, set of swings and a sand pit
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family