“Wonderful”

Wildebeest Eco Camp
Ranked #2 of 287 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Wildebeest Eco Camp for about a week last November. This was my first trip abroad, I was by myself, and I was lucky enough to get sick my second night in Kenya. I really had a lot going towards having a bad experience but fortunately I was staying here and they treated me like family.

The grounds are beautiful, all of my friends back home were jealous when I showed them the pictures. There had been a mistake in my booking and they upgraded me for free. They made organizing drivers and day trips so easy. One of the owners, I am horrible with names so please forgive me but I know it was the wife, was kind enough to take care of me while I got sick in the middle of the porch from heat stroke. After getting sick the staff continually came and checked on me until they knew for sure that I was ok. I know that I don't have much experience abroad but I am so thankful to the family that runs the Eco Camp because I don't think that I would have ever gotten service like this in the US.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My friend and I booked dorm beds for 3 nights. The accommodation is very affordable (we were on a budget) and clean, and included breakfast. Very friendly staff. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus had a lot of variety, and again, afforable, espeically if you're on a budget.

The entire camp site looked incredibly beautiful, with lots of trees and nicely tucked away in Nairobi. While it is far from downtown Nairobi, it is very close to some of the main attractions in Nairobi, including David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, the Giraffe Centre, Carnivore, Bomas of Kenya, etc.

I'd definitely recommend this place, especially for budget travellers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you like to stay in a Tent but also have all the luxuries of a hotel, Wildebeest Eco camp provides you that
We were picked up by Mr. Charlie who was kind enough to share all the info about the hotel and Nairobi
when we arrived we were greeted by the owners 2 dogs and 1 cat
the tents were not ready in the beginning as we arrived early but as we finished they had one ready for us
The Deluxe tent is a superb idea if couple or family as it has an experience of a tent and luxury of a hotel
the Bed is the most comfortable which we slept on
the staff was welcoming and friendly
overall an awesomeee Experience
Would definitely be back if i visit Nairobi again

Room Tip: The Deluxe Tent is a superb choice for Couple or for Family of 3
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have stayed at this place for two days on 14th & 15th of May. I am totally impressed and would love to come back here. Its a beautiful place, well maintained. Staff are very friendly and the hospitality is great. Rooms are clean and tidy. Services were available as promised.. sumptuous breakfast, free wi-fi, hot water etc. Room rates are very reasonable compared to many hotels in nairobi. This place is little far from city centre but it is closer to many tourist attractions like Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen Museum and Mamba Village. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just read Brabby's review, and could not agree more. I visited in April and had the same flooding scenario, with noisy pumps going throughout the day and until 9 or 10 pm, even after I asked they be turned off after dinner so we could enjoy a bit of peace....still on until they ran out of gasoline.
I often had to go in search of staff, usually finding them at the pool table. At one point when I wanted a sandwich, I asked the cook, who told me to write it up on the waiter's pad myself and give it to him. I had to get my own soda out of the fridge, and write it up on the waiter's pad to be added to my bill!
I stayed in a Garden Tent one night, Deluxe Tent several nights, and Budget Room as a day room prior to my evening departure. Interestingly, the cleanest was the Budget Room, yet you had to walk up a muddy path, stepping over the water pipes to get to the room. (I still don't know why they ran the pipes right up the path instead of off to the side or through the plants, but it again reflects lack of concern for their guests.)
See pics for the spider, the dirty spider web, and the general filth of the Deluxe Tent. These were "old" dirt, not new/fresh dirt.
Their signpost is computer printed on standard Kenyan printer paper, roughly 8.5 by 11 inches, put in a leaky plastic sleeve and tacked to a tree along the road! See the pic! Their website doesn't even give a clue of how far to go down Mokoyeti Road West to find #151 (very few numbers are posted, making it hard to know if you're on track or not), off Langata Road. It would be really NICE if they would say that it's about a mile north of Langata Road, almost to the end of Mokoyeti Road. It would be really nice if there was a Wildebeest Eco Camp sign at the corner of Langata Rd and Mokoyeti Rd West AND a sign at the entrance to Wildebeest Eco Camp.
When I first emailed Wildebeest Eco Camp, I asked "How much should I expect to pay a taxi from Wilson Airport to Wildebeest Eco Camp?" They replied "We can also arrange an airport pick up at Kshs2500 for a small car (Sedan) all we need is flight number and arrival time." Clearly that's a rip off! Wilson is already halfway from Nairobi to Wildebeest Camp, and should have only been 1000-1500 Ksh. When I left Wildebeest Camp for Jomo Kenyata Airport, the taxi fare was only 2000 Ksh.
And the mattresses are really, really firm. Hard.
It all leaves me wondering what's up with this place. General lack of adult supervision? Lack of respect for the paying clients? General apathy? It could be SOOOO GOOOD!!!

Room Tip: Call to ask if the water pumps are still running. If yes, find a different place to stay. Check the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Kitcat22
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my third stay at the Wildebeest and I must say I love it here. From the wonderful owners (on-site and hands-on) to the totally hospitable staff to the scrumptious food, this place is a joy for the traveler who is looking for not only a place to stay but an experience. Look forward to sharing the dinner table with travelers from all over the world, one of the bonuses of staying at the Wildebeest. Prices are based on the accommodations you choose, from camping with your own gear to deluxe tents with their own baths. It doesn't get any better- or more fun- than this in Nairobi. Oh, and they'll organize any number of trips and safaris at the request of guests.

Room Tip: Go to the website and you can see the accommodations for yourself. The very complete descriptions wi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is the first time I have had to write a poor review of a hotel. Usually we are pretty easygoing with things, but this place really let us down.

First, the good things: they do have a beautiful location, with luxury tents surrounding a little lagoon with lots of birds, trees, etc. The food is pretty decent and cheap, and the price allows you to try a luxury safari tent for much less than you would have to pay elsewhere. The luxury tents were absolutely lovely- tastefully decorated and comfortable.

Unfortunately, the timing was a little bad as we arrived right after a rainy spell and the lagoon had flooded, putting most of the tents almost submerged in water. To combat this, the staff had two pumps with very loud motors running all day. Thus, the beautiful ambiance, birds, etc, were gone for us. We were trying to be understanding with it, but it was really unpleasant to sit anywhere in the camp with the loud motors pounding all day. There wasn´t any sort of apology given for this, which would have been appreciated. However, we could have been okay with this if it weren´t for the service. The guys working here really seemed to have no desire to deliver great customer service. Quite often we would have to ring a bell to ask for anything and they would be playing pool for a few minutes more before they came to help us. We requested that the pump be turned off for us to sleep, but about an hour later it was back on. The power went out quite frequently, and when we went to have breakfast the server pointed to a self-service toaster and said "but the power is out", shrugged his shoulders and walked away. We saw another customer who had toasted bread and he said that we would have to pay extra to have the bread toasted on the stove. It seemed rather unfair, considering that it was not our fault the power was out, and we had paid for breakfast already. On the last afternoon, we asked if we could have dinner a little early as we had to head to the airport. The man at the window said that the power was out so they wouldn´t serve us anything cooked. However, the lights were all on and I could hear and smell things cooking in the kitchen. If he had just told us that they were too busy in the kitchen or something we would have understood, but the fact that he was blatantly lying to us was frustrating. Finally, the worst part of our experience was when we handed over a bag of items to the staff just before we left. There was something written in the hotel info that we could donate items to a local village project by giving them at the desk. So I handed over a bag containing a few toiletries as well as our old cell phone. My husband watched the staff, Justus, walk behind a little barrier where he thought he wasn´t seen, take the cell phone out and put it in his pocket.

It really is too bad that the staff here seem to be rather apathetic towards the idea of great service. Everywhere else we have gone in Tanzania and Kenya has been a terrific experience, and we could see that the owners here had worked hard to make a beautiful eco camp. Perhaps they need to reconsider their hiring practices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple