“Can't ask for a better camp”

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Ranked #68 of 339 things to do in Kenya
More attraction details
Owner description: Set amidst 62,000 acres of sprawling savannah, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy boasts some of the most spectacular views in northern Kenya. With one of the highest wildlife densities in Kenya including 10% and 14% of the country’s black and white rhinos respectively, the Conservancy is also home to the world's single largest population of Grevy's zebras. It is also the best place to spot herds of elephants and buffalo, giraffes, lions, cheetahs, more than 400 species of birds and if lucky, a pack of wild dogs!
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Lewa Downs Conservancy, tented camp Sirikoi, I stayed here just for 2 nights. The camp is extremely friendly, inviting and intimate place with very friendly people and staff. During my stay, there were only a total 3 people in the camp. Because for me the main attraction during the trip to Kenya is to see the animals, the quality of the guide is paramount. I had opportunity to go for a drive with Mr. B, don’t know his full name and he was terrific. If you have opportunity to ask for a specific spotter, request him. My other, guides were Leggy, who was driving and spotting and Peter who just looked good, but did very little. I would not recommend these guys because I did not see much while driving with them. The camp is very pleasant, the camp managers, 2 young brothers, make you feel welcome. The lodge is decorated with their family photos and you feel like a member of the family. Dinner is at a large family table and conversation is easy and lively where everyone is participating telling travel stories with white rhinos grasing on the grass just outside the dining room. And to make the stay even more attractive, the family who runs/owns the camp adopted an orphaned baby reticulated giraffe that I had a privilege of seeing and petting. Very highly recommend, 5 stars, here is a link to their site:http://www.sirikoi.com/ and please note, it really looks like this, no trick photography needed.

3  Thank traveller16180
in 17 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Lewa Wildlife Conservancy has a number of residential options that all qualify in the boutique end of the market. I was taking my mother on Safari (I'm a ex-pat Kenyan resident) and wanted to spoil her. Sophie and Calum who run the house do a brilliant job in all regards; their staff, food, knowledge and hospitality are all 1st class and I am comparing them to the 15+ safaris I have taken in Kenya to all locations. Don't bother with the Mara, or if you do need to see the migration go, but then take the time to visit somewhere that is unhurried, uncrowded and is delightful. The way the lodge is run also means that if you have children, or on your honeymoon then this will suit. Numbers of visitors are not high and while its never going to be a back packer safari it still feels like value for money. Would just like to again say I really appreciated how welcome we were made to feel and how well they looked after my mother. Food was diverse, fresh and very tasty. Guides had a really strong knowledge of the game and birds and did not use the tired cliches I have heard on many other safari's. Rooms very clean and super comfortable beds.

1  Thank Mark_RiceGuardian
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I wasn't solely with couples, I was on a tour of 22, mostly adults, organized by the Detroit Zoo. Lewa, a former cattle ranch, is now 62,000 acres of beautiful vistas devoted to the protection/conseration of some of Kenya's endangered animals. In the 2 days & nights there, we saw cheetahs, a lion pride, numerous elephants, giraffes, zebras, rhinos, impalas, gazelles, and varied birds. Some of us chose to participate in their anti- poacher dog tracking exercise; others took a guided walk; but mostly we were driven by Lewa's staff to seek out the varied animals. The accomodations were unique, "rustic" chic, tent-like, each with its own patio and view of the land. The meals were delicious, either buffet for breakfast/lunch or served for dinner. And the hosts and staff were most gracious and pleasant to be with. An added bonus was to learn how Lewa is reaching out to neighboring people and land owners, in education and recognition of their needs, as the growing challenge to coexist with the animals continues. All in all, Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is a place to recommend to anyone traveling north of Nairobi, north of Mt. Kenya.

Reviewed September 25, 2008

Stayed in Lewa Wilderness for three nights. I loved every minute of our visit. We found it by chance on the internet as I googled Horse Riding in Kenya and up it popped. I am surprised at the limited number of the reviews available though...it has been there for a long while and the guest book was well thumbed and detailed high praise from previous guests.
Each day starts with 'what are you doing today?' There was such a wide choice...horse riding, walking, camel safari, flying, jeep safari.... it was brilliant!
We fell into our own little routine and each morning we took a horse riding safari and returned for breakfast. Afterwards we would relax on our beautiful veranda perched high with a perfect aspect above the expansive bush unfolding before us. We regularly spotted Elephants and other game ambling by below and crossing the bubbling brook ( fed by the local spring) below us. Then we would go up and take a dip in the infinity pool and lounge in the shaded swing beds reading our books. Then it was lunch time. After coffee and cake at 4pm we would take a game drive. After which we would return around 7pm to a cosy fire lit in our cottage. The evening began up in the main lodge with a pre-dinner drink and was followed by a three course dinner. After which we had a nightcap and retired to our delightful cottage for bed,
Our guide, Mwangi was from a local village and seemed to love both the park and his job. He was incredibly knowledgeable and knew the Park like the back of his hand. He had a fantastic talent for spotting and tracking game. We were quite in awe of him really! Saw the big five in the four drives we did with him. We really enjoyed our time with him and in his quiet understated way, we picked up a little insight about life for local Kenyan people.
All the meals are eaten communally at a big table on a veranda overlooking the bush. I'm not normally a fan of all meals eaten together at safari camps (have had my fair share of being stuck at meal times with people who are just plain hard word!), but it really works here. The family and staff are excellent hosts and its a fairly relaxed and informal affair. We found ourselves lingering after meals as we enjoyed the conversation with other guests, staff and Craig family. One negative was the very poor choice of wine. The choice was not what grape, vineyard etc but limited to...red or white?!!! Both being a cheap Chilean plonk that I wouldn't normally touch. On the plus side, there was always a big jug of homemade lemonade in the fridge, which was the best I have ever tasted!!! i thought the food was excellent at breakfast and lunch. Lunch was always a fantastic choice of fresh salads, quiche etc. Dinner each evening however was a little heavy. I thought maybe a choice to have a lighter option would have been good. I cannot eat a big rich meal every night - and regrettably left most of my food on my plate.
They have 40 horses and as it is a private conservancy you can take wonderful rides through the park getting right up beside the other grazing animals such as giraffe, zebra, waterbucks etc. who think you are just another grazer! It was really amazing experience. On horseback you see all the smaller flora and fauna that in a jeep you miss (or scare away with the engine noise).
We took a walk with a guide and stopped in to visit the local furniture workshop located in the Park. All the furniture in the House and Cottages is made here from trees pushed over by the elephants. You can place orders for any item of furniture. Which I am very tempted to do! Delivery though can take up to a year I'm told....logistics being a bit more challenging in the African bush! We met David the wood carver, who was a great character and in his animated way told us he could 'see with his mind' the animal waiting to be carved from a piece of wood! Inpressive!
Alongside the workshop is the garden from which I'm told 80% of the veg used by the lodge is grown.
Our cottage was number 7 and we were very impressed. There is a gigantic arabic bed, from which you can gaze over the wilderness below through the picture windows. We saw incredible sunrises from the comfort of our cosy bed sipping our wake-up coffee delivered each morning. Our bathroom area was great. Whilst it might sound odd. We chuckled at where the toilet was positioned. You could quite happily sit on the pot looking through the large window in front of you gazing out across the plains beyond. Whilst entirely private to all human eyes, The tree outside the window normally had an audience of monkeys who watched our daily abulations with wide eyed interest!
In all, this place is really very unique. It has a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. There is so much to do and see and we were charmed by everyone we met and who worked there. I would admit to being quite critical, but I would struggle to find fault with Lewa wilderness. It is a unique place that has been carefully and tastefully developed. You are made to feel more than just a paying guest and actually part of the house. In fact you are made feel right at home! The park is on of the most beautiful I have seen with its natural spring and abundance of flora and fauna. Cannot recommend this place more highly...will certainly return at next opportunity when I have saved up enough :)

1  Thank pinkrosie