“At least I now know what the definition of "challenging" is in climbing terms!”

Mount Longonot National Park
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I am not a climber (first time) and found this quite difficult in places, stupidly because I was wearing shoes that had very little grip and I was expecting more of a gentle uphill walk. The altitude going up to the top of the crater affected my breathing much more than I thought it would, although it was fine when we walked around the rim - even though there are some steep points along there to - peak has an altitude of 9116 feet. In general I did not realize the volcano would be so steep in places.In total it took us about 5 and a half hours to walk up to the top of the crater then around the rim. As another reviewer said, it is essential you turn right when you get to the top and go around the rim anti clockwise. Fortunately we had a cool partly cloudy day - I would not want to do this climb in the heat or rain - in actual fact it could make it quite dangerous. It is also absolutely essential you take at least 1 litre of water plus energy snacks. In general climbing up was OK, coming down, or sliding down, was the difficult part for me!

The views from the top are fantastic and you feel a real sense of achievement, once you have come down. I see on a website that the climb is rated as challenging - I can certainly see why. Overall a great experience and one I would recommend doing if only once!

Visited August 2011
4 Thank grahamstubbings

• Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 252 helpful votes
“Definite must do”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

yes I agree with the posts below. Mt Logonot is a definite must do if you are around Nairobi and have a day to spare. The views are beautiful and the hike to the top and around the rim is about 2.5 on a scale of 1-5 but worth it. You can get a guide at the gate for about KES 2500 (around the rim) and KES 1500 to go to the peak. Please do eat well and bring at least 2 bottles of water, and some snacks to eat once you get at the top. To get to the peak you will take an hour and round the crater rim, perhaps 2-2.5 hours. According to the guide I picked up at the gate, the hike up is 5km and round the crater rim is another 12km. Admission itself is USD 20.

The work doesnt end once you reach the peak though - there are tough climbs/sandy descents around the crater rim and you are guranteed to get covered in dust. So do not wear white.

While I was fortunate enough to bring isotonic/energy drinks and a bran muffin even though I underestimated the effort to climb the mountain, I do sggest you eat a full breakfast and dinner the night before. If you are an experience mountain climber, you wont need a guide but forothers who are here for the first time or on your own, u may want to get a guide at the gate.

Mt Logonot is about 1-1.5 hours drive from Nairobi.

Visited May 2011
3 Thank Lavy81
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Amazing views of extinct volcano”
Reviewed December 1, 2007

This is a great day-hike with great views of Naivasha, the Rift Valley, and of course, the untouched volcanic crater itself! Very serene. The recent November 2007 weekend we went, there were maybe a couple dozen other hikers at most the entire day. I can kind of imagine why with the close proximity of Naivasha lake/island/game park.

Access: Good, short dirt roads from the main highway. Maybe an hour from south from Naivasha (will be faster once highway construction finishes).

When: Go during the dry/short rains season. If it rains substantially, I wouldn't even try--there is so much sand/ash, it's got to become unpleasantly and unsafely muddy.

What to Bring: Water (1-2 liters/person, we went through about 1.5/person), a snack for the top (an Aussie group brought an entire lunch including wine with them), good shoes, long light socks, long pants (the sand/dust/ash gets everywhere), light binoculars, camera, cash

Cost: Kind of expensive. $20US per person compared to the 100Ksh resident rate. We were a little miffed that the prices had gone up so rapidly over the last several years. If you're an ex-pat, try to get your organization to type a letter confirming your work in Kenya--you should be able to get the resident rate. If you're a rich tourist, just give generously to the Kenyan Park service.

Difficulty: The peak is in the 9000foot range. The paths get pretty sandy/ashy which makes the hike about twice as difficult as it would be for the altitude and grade. The crater rim is about 3 miles in circumference. The counter-clockwise direction is the easier hike. It's easier to climb up the steeper grades than to try to not slide/fall down them. In total it took us 5.5 hours round-trip from the entrance, and about 3 hours to hike around the rim. That's including a 1/2 hour break at the top. If you're in reasonable condition, you could do it faster since I slowed up our group because I was still recovering from the flu and had donated a pint of blood a week prior. It made for fairly tough hike for me, but it was totally worth it!

Wildlife: If you bring binoculars you can occasionally see giraffes roaming around the area. BIrds. There's also some Masai villages you can spot.

Temptation: It is VERY tempting to drop down into the crater! Untouched forest--you half expect to see dinosaurs walking around. You should probably be in good condition if you decide to go. Our Kenyan friend who had explored the place 2-3 times said that it's much more hilly than you would expect. I would also advise that you be good at navigation or bring a GPS because there's only a single path that leads up/down along the 3-mile circumference of the crater. Also, according to the Rough Guide, there's stories of encounters with buffalo down in the crater, so be alert, although I only half-believe it since any path down is so steep. In any case, if we go back, we're DEFINITELY going down to explore!

My Soapbox: Please bring back all your trash with you. Overall, the trail is very clean, but there's still (I feel) an unacceptable amount of trash along the trail. There's a pit at the summit where (I assume) they regularly burn the heap of plastic bottles sitting in it, but it's really not that hard to throw away your empty water water bottles in a trash can at the ranger station at the end of the hike. Please be good stewards of the park.

7 Thank TofuNinja
Arlington, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Beautiful half/full day trip from Nairobi”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

The best thing about Nairobi is all the great sites around Nairobi, and this is no exception. It's less than 2 hours away, and the terrible road is under construction and hopefully will be done sometime this year....or next year....

I went to Mt. Longonot in December 06, and the hike is fairly steep, but not very long. Then, once you get to the top, you can go all around the rim of the crater with fairly little elevation gain or loss. There's a spot right when you get to the top to stop and enjoy the view, and it seemed that's all most people intended to do. It's a bit of a walk to get all the way around.

That being said, the view is spectacular, and I'd recommend at least going to the summit of the mountain. It's probably only another 30-40 minutes, if that, and you get to walk through some great lava flows.

And if you can find a way to get down into the crater, let me know! I got talking to a Kenyan man at the top who lived nearby, and he said he was sure you could get in, but he couldn't remember how and was looking for the trail with his binoculars.

One other thing, there are wild animals around. We saw a buffalo and a hartebeest on the bottom of the trail. Just be aware.

4 Thank GaryT770