All reviews rooftop balcony thin mattresses luxor temple sofra restaurant per night min walk air con the hotel staff hassan tours valley kings memnon egypt driver
Selected filters
Reviewed December 2, 2018

My wife and I stayed at the Oasis Hotel (if your using Google Maps, for some reason its actually closer to Sofra restaurant than where it shows on Google Maps - see photos for details) in November and we checked in at 7 AM. I was able to email back and forth with Hassan and he was very responsive when I asked if he was OK in me arriving in a day later than expected.

Once I arrived, although check in was suppose to be at 7 AM, our rooms weren't ready until 12 PM (they said they needed someone else to check out). We were offered tea and coffee and Hassan mentioned of the tours they offer (a common practice in Egypt to offer tours organized by multiple hotels). that would pick us up at 8AM. We figured why not being our rooms werent ready until 12. Hassan gave us a single room to leave our bags in and freshen up before coming down at 8AM.

The tour we did was 100EGP per head (driver and tour guide only) to visit the Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, Medinet Habu, and the Colossi of Memnon. We had to pay for t\entrance tickets extra own along with a tip. There was an optional buffet after the tour for 80EGP per head, but we were tired and asked to drive us back to the hotel.

Once we got back to our rooms, the room we had was 3 beds (even though it was 2 of us). The first thing we noticed when we laid on them was the paper thin mattress. You couldn't lay on your side without your hip bone rubbing up against the wooden planks underneath. Luckily we had an extra bed so we literally stacked two mattresses for my wife's bed so she wouldn't feel the wooden planks as much. I, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky with my single mattress and woke up the next day with a sore hip.

We didn't complain to the hotel staff as we were only there for 2 nights but in hindsight we probably should of said something.

The bathroom was clean for the most part. The only issue was When we opened the bathroom sink, the pipes at the bottom would start leaking and spray water around your feet.

We also had a nice balcony which worked great as when we had to wash shirts or socks, they dried up quick in the sun. There is also a very nice rooftop but unfortunately we really didn't see any other travelers so the rooftop although nice was empty.

Hassan was nice enough to watch our bags in the front desk while we checked out at 12 and went sightseeing at Karnak Temple, (we negotiated 30EGP to drive from Luxor Railway Station to Karnak Temple, and another 30 EGP back for two). We picked up our bags around 7PM.

Overall, the hotel is a nice place, close to the Railway station and a 15 min walk away from the Luxor Temple, Mummification Museum, McDonalds, Queiq Restaurant, and the National Ferryboat. If you want to walk another 10mins, you can also reach the Luxor Museum, or stop into Saint Mary Church. Karnak Temple is not only a 40min walk, but you can easily spend a good 2 hrs walking around its grounds.

I wish the mattresses were better, and the bathroom was maintained better, but aside from that I got what I paid for.

Room tip: Ask to look at the room and test the mattress before using the room
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

Room was alright. Just don't rent their bicycles. My handlebar broke of on the way to the valley of the kings - something you really want to avoid when your bathing in your own sweat in the middle of the desert

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jasper T
Reviewed June 15, 2018

As soon as I arrived I was given a warm welcome by a member of staff, offered a cup of tea and shown a list of the local sites of Luxor and he was very friendly even sharing a few laughs and it was like that every time I met him in the lobby. Its a bare bones hotel with a shower, toilet, in-room WIFI and amazing Air-Con. No Restraraunt but the one next door is amazing, went there everynight! What I loved the most about this hotel was that a cat showed me upstairs to the rooftop balcony, it was like an Alice chasing the rabbit into Wonderland kind of moment, the night views of Luxor were amazing from the rooftop, thankyou Cat

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank FiachraT3
Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

Hassan provides the best service I have encountered anywhere in the world, from the moment I arrived at the Airport he was there to greet me. Upon arrival to the hostel he provided a welcome drink on the rooftop where he planned out an amazing trip in Luxor for myself and my partner without any of the hassle and for a great price. He also informed us of things too be aware of while in the city and with this knowledge we had an amazing trouble free stay in Luxor as will anyone who gets the chance too meet Hassan, such a helpful man and will go out of his way too provide the best experience for his guests. Highly recommended!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Simon L
Reviewed May 2, 2017 via mobile

Better late than never... I stayed at Oasis hostel in Jan 2017. The accommodation is quite simple but still clean (this is something hard to get in Egypt) and incredibly cheap. What makes this hotel so especial is his owner, Hassan, which is one of the most beautiful persons I met in my 3 months trip in Egypt. In spite of all hassle and scams you might find around Luxor, Hassan is a genuine good man that gives everything he can for his customers, and you only need to read a couple of reviews to know what I mean. He helped me a lot by recommending me many places I could visit in my short visit, shared with me his knowledge about Egypt and mythology (he loves his country and knows a lot about it) and treated me for many teas... I will never forget how my train was delayed when I was gonna leave Luxor and how he left everything he was doing to come to the train station as I didn't understand what was going on: he spoke to many people and finally he explained to me that my train will come in a couple of hours and told me I could go back to his hotel if I wanted to relax until it came.

Good customer service is something that you would barely find in Egypt, but you will find it for sure in this humble but yet great hotel which by the way is very nearby the main attractions (and the train station).

Totally recommend it.