“High quality/price ratio” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Luxor
The Hague, The Netherlands
“High quality/price ratio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the hotel El Fayrouz during our trip in Egypt and we were very happy with our choice. Probably we'll stay there again, the next time we go to Luxor's West bank.

It is a nice hotel with nicely decorated, spacious and (most important!) clean bedrooms, at a very moderate price. I don't think you can't find cheaper in this category. The location is also great since once you step down the ferry you don't need to take a taxi to reach it. It is not a luxury hotel: if you need a TV or WiFi or a fridge or a minibar in the bedroom, then it is not for you (go rather to Luxor's East bank). There is no lift. If you need a hairdryer, bring your own. There is no shower curtain in the bathroom thus indeed it's difficult not to spill water all over the place: bring slippers. The towels are all of different colours, but they are clean and that's what matters to us. There is internet access and WiFi in the lobby if you can't live without them. It's not free but the price is negligible.

We almost always ate at the hotel's restaurant and it's another very positive point of this hotel: very good (if you like Mediterranean/Egyptian cuisine, like we do) and cheap. The breakfast was a good surprise too as we had read somewhere that some hotels would offer only bread and jam - here we also had omelets, pancakes, etc.

The staff and the hotel manager were always extremely friendly and helpful. They even took the trouble to replace the two single beds in our room by one large bed ! We also hired the hotel's taxi for several days because the service and the price were very good (compared to the deals that friends of ours managed to negotiate with other taxis at the harbor).

There is a mosque nearby thus indeed some people might not like the noise but for us that was not an issue (except when the muezzin was singing out of tune ;-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Waalwijk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We absolutely recommend the El Fayrouz hotel to those who like to have a pure, basic but very friendly hotel on the west bank of Luxor Nile area. We enjoyed staying at the hotel for a week. Employees are informal but know exactly your characteristics, they know your room number and registrate informally but exactly your food and beverage. Rooms are good especially taking into consideration the low prices. The Garden behind the hotel reflects the great atmosphere, open fire places contribute to and the varied menu options complete the facts and figures of this nice hotel. Employees are not asking for, but deserve your (tip) appreciation!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good (with our friends we had four different rooms) but a room with balcony at...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Really great service, nice nice people who work there for sure - sweet, can't do enough. Food in the beautiful backyard (really - you could chill there all night or morning) is good if a bit pricey. pretty towers and sunny rooftops with lovely views. Rooms: we crashed pretty hard from jet lag, so I can't tell you all the details, but they must have been pretty good if we crashed that hard. Perhaps not 100% clean, but I don't care.
It's on the other side of the river from Luxor proper, which I really liked, because it's more of a village (and I thought Luxor itself was a dump), but you do have to take a boat (fun!) and deal with the worst touts in the world on both sides (think: spitting at you). It is down a little alley which might be intimidating at night on first glance, but is actually populated with very nice families.
I recommend it for sure. The people who run it want you to have a great experience there - I think it's easier to get fleeced in luxor than anywhere else in Egypt, and you will feel very comfy here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I loved the garden restaurant here. The food is excellent. If you stay on the West Bank of Luxor, this is the place to eat as the other restaurants/hotels do not serve food this good. The place is hard to find though. It is next to the Shehrezade Hotel and this hotel has a road sign at the alley way where it is located but Fayrouz is not sign posted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Telluride, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every moment of it. The owner greeted me so kindly, the garden restaurant lives up to its reputaion, the room was nice, clean & welcoming.

I enjoyed having chats with Sayed in the evenings, the staff all spoke highly of the owners and you could tell that they took great pride in their jobs and where they work and it shows.

Overall I think this was the best place I stayed at in Egypt, the West Bank is the way to go ,

Cheers

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here after a recommendation from a friend and was so glad I did.
The price is cheap beyond belief and the rooms are clean and very well maintained. Air conditioner and fan in the room got me through the heat of June. There is no TV but it was not needed and I am so glad it wasnt there. Spent the evenings in the beautiful garden restaurant reading and watching the cats fight.
The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is down a dodgy looking laneway but it is very safe and the locals are friendly. Just watch out for all the men begging you to take a felucca or taxi as you walk to the ferry. The ferry to the East Bank is very easy to use. Only 1LE and just pay this with confidence that you know how much it costs and you wont have any problems. The hotel can arrange cars for day trips to all the local sites for a very good cost and the drivers are very friendly. They also arranged a hotel pickup which was reasonably priced as well. The hotel is on the West Bank which is much quiter and nicer than the East but you do have less restaurants and facilities however the ferry runs 24 hours (so I was told) so no problems to go over for the evening.
Only disappointment with this hotel was that I was not feeling well before I arrived so I was not able to eat more of the amzaing food in the garden restaurant. Had some for the last two days before I left and it was so good. Breakfast was huge and more than I could eat but they could improve the coffee by getting rid of the Nescafe sachets.
I will definitely be back to this gem and will recommend it to anyone who is going to Luxor and anyone else who will listen.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here in March 2012. Overall, the price of the room was good (I shopped around before leaving the US) and the room was clean. No shower curtains, so the bathroom floor would be soaked. I had two extra towels that I used to mop up the mess.

I was on the top floor and the water pressure was low. I also couldn't get a warm shower. The water would surge between steaming hot and freezing cold. I had to time the surges right to take a shower.

There was plenty of noise to wake you up, especially the roosters in the area. A refrigerator in the room would have been nice. The restaurant area attracts a number of British ex pats. One evening they had a party that kept me up well past midnight.

The Internet connection is horrible at best and you have to sit in the computer room in order to get a connection.

The breakfast is OK, but the bread was going stale. It definitely was not fresh. Other meals taken in the restaurant were OK. The menu was rather western, and not very Egyptian. The service for the meals is very, very, very slow. I sat for about 10 minutes one morning waiting for breakfast to be served.

The garden area could use some maintenance work as it is over grown and there is some trash lying about. The worst thing is the smell of cat urine. I sat down at one of the tables and had to move the smell was so overpowering. It is also rather disgusting to eat while breathing in the smell.

The pillows and coverings on the benches have not been washed in a few years. They are pretty filthy. They are coated with dust and have an ammonia smell, which means the resident cat has used them as a litter box.

There also seemed to be a lot of tension amongst the staff and management. They seemed to be wound rather tight, as there wasn't much fun being had by any of them. None of them wanted to chat, even for a few moments.

Would I stay here again? I would only stay here again if I had no other options. But there are plenty of options on the west bank, so that means I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo