“To me, pales in comparison to Karnak”

Temple of Medinat Habu
Book In Advance
More Info
$57.00*
and up
Private Half Day Tour to West Bank Tombs and Temples from Luxor
Ranked #4 of 82 things to do in Luxor
More attraction details
Owner description: This ancient complex is dominated by the massive memorial temple of Ramses III, similar to the mortuary temple of Ramses II at Ramesseum.
Provo, Utah
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“To me, pales in comparison to Karnak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I came to Medinat Habu at the very end of my Luxor experience having already been to Karnak, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, and the Amenhotep temple. Our guide for the day suggested that we go to Medinat Habu instead of the Valley of the Queens because "there's nothing to see there right now." I now regret my decision, mostly because I feel like I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked to in the Valley of the Kings. After having visited Medinat Habu and feeling like it's just another temple I wish I would have taken the opportunity to see more tombs instead. That being said, Medinat Habu is incredibly well preserved and the new experience it offered was seeing by far the deepest hieroglyphic carvings out of anywhere in egypt.

• Arabic first
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Most impressive experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lots of history, particularly about Ramses II, magnificent carved columns and sculptures, lots still with original colours. Superb.

Melbourne, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Grandeur”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Spectacular in the desert. Put this on your list of must-dos in Egypt. Rising from a cliff-face, the sheer size is unbelievable. Much of Egypt makes you feel insignificant against the sheer size of the attractions. This place is no different. Enjoy, and give yourself a few hours here.

Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Big”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Karnak on the west bank. Big beautiful and empty as no one is visiting Egypt at present. I allowed the one small group to leave and then I had the place to myself for as long as I wanted.

Vancouver
592 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 706 helpful votes
“Very Good Relief Decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

The reliefs really stand out in the Temple of Medinat Habu. Our guide focused on just a few outstanding images which commemorated the deeds and activities of Ramses III. Both outside and inside, the walls are carved with images. Some of these images show military campaigns, surrender of captives to the king, the king hunting animals, the king harvesting wheat, and making offerings. Older Egyptian men are very willing, for a tip, to show you rooms with excellent colored reliefs. Why not take them up on it and save some time in wandering around trying to see some good stuff. Because I could "read" the pictorials, this was my favorite temple along with Karnak Temple. Take along a photocopy of the layout of this temple available in guidebooks to help you identify the various parts as there is no brochure with the entrance ticket. We had 1 hour here, but it was too rushed for me.