Philippe Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Pharaon(Luxor)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2007

stayed at the philippe with my husband my brother and his wife also a friend found the hotel clean and comfortable food not to good but eatable george the morning waiter was great so was albeir at night time staff very friendly will do anything for you cant wait to go again for a month

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EnglandLayla
Reviewed February 9, 2007

being a regular traveller around the place i always, always use tripadvisor.com to check out any potential hotels, resorts ect and because its written by people like myself with completely independant views i find this site invaluable, anyway on that note i would like to give you my review of the philippe hotel luxor egypt, the first night we arrived shattered around 2.30am and were given room 216 which to call it a box was doing it a compliment it was so small you had to move the bed across the room to open the window and when you did open the window the view was horrible looking straight at a brick wall almost like a ventilation shaft we had to keep the lights on even in day time! anyway i immediately went to reception and was told after endless complaining that i would be moved first thing in the morning by 11.00am we still hadnt been moved and with patience wearing thin we decided to just sit it out at reception hoping someone would notice us and do somthing about us! eventually the receptionist came over and asked us were we ok we told her all what we were expecting ect and then after another while she got some keys to show us rooms the first one she took us to was still fairly bad but bearable then i asked was anything else available she took us to the front elavator (theres 2) and anyway the next room she showed us 504 was like a completely different hotel!! wooden floors beautiful balconies and nice bathroom and everything spotless so we immedeatly agreed on this one and after moving all our stuff in a getting settled in we were informed by reception that an extra £65 would be added to our bill which in egypt is a hell of a lot of money! i didnt argue because to be honest we were just so glad to get out of the back rooms but £65 to move from A to B we thought was a bit of a rip off, anyway having said all that we did enjoy the hotel and although the front of the hotel is much noiser the view of the river nile to your right and the city straight ahead is really lovely so overall we would be fair and say its not a bad hotel with a great location and being a budget hotel you get what you pay for breakfast is continental but if you ask for something warm like eggs or toast ect they will make it for you, but if you are booking make sure you ask for a front room nile view the difference really is like night and day, just one other thing if you hate being hassled by local traders and shop keepers dont even go near this area of luxor! we literally couldnt step out the hotel door without being accosted by someone trying to sell you stuff and trail you into their shops to buy something but if you dont mind that then yea the philippe is a fine budget hotel you get what you pay for, hope this review is of some help to you its 100% accurate (click on my hotel photos)

Stayed: February 2007
9  Thank paul&rosie
Reviewed February 7, 2007

Stayed here Nov 2006. Nice clean little Hotel in the heart of the city. Staff wonderful, first few days, we just had basic breakfast, then learned we could order cooked breakfast. Dont be afraid to ask. Swimming pool, top floor where you can order brunch, try the FRESH juices.Outside its quite noisy as this is where the horse/carriage and taxi ranks are. Convenient. local markets and banks walking distance.
Overall, a good stay.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank mina.c
Reviewed February 6, 2007

When we got there we were put in a tiny box room but we were moved to a much nicer room within half an hour.
Rooms are cleaned every day. Breakfast was included but if you can't get up in time they will bring it to your room.
Very centrally located for everything.
The waiters round the pool were very slack in bringing your change to you. Always said they didn't have any change on them so make sure you get it.
Overall, service was great although sometimes a little bit over familiar

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Mrfusspot
Reviewed January 31, 2007

I had read other reviews of The Philippe AFTER I'd booked it and was expecting the worst - but I was so pleased I stayed there. The hotel was spotless, the staff are the nicest people I've ever met and I enjoyed my stay with them so much, I'm going back for 2 weeks next year!
The only suggestions I made to the Hotel in their customer satisfaction questionaire was to offer buffet style meals with a wider selection of food for breakfast and dinner for half board customers. But the food we did get was absolutely fine and plenty of it - breakfast was a basket of small bread rolls, 2 croissants, a sticky bun, a hard boiled egg, cheese triangle, butter, jam, honey, toast, omelette/scrambled/fried eggs with optional tomato and cheese, fruit juice and as much tea or coffee or both you could drink - that's per person!
Dinner was another basket of bread rolls, butter and soup. Then a large plate of salad - all perfectly clean and edible - don't believe the hype about dodgy salads etc. at least not in this hotel! After the soup and salad is a main course which, like the soup and salad, was different every night. It usually consisted of saffron rice, french fries, vegetables, meat or fish. All well cooked, hot and tasty! To follow was desert which was anything from jelly to traditional Egyptian cake. All delicious and such big meals, I didn't bother with lunch. But if you do get peckish and are chilling out by the lovely pool on the roof, there is a menu full of tasty meals to choose from - the cheese burger and chips was my favourite! The pool is really cold - made more so by the very hot weather we had, but it was very refreshing! It ended up being a bit of a standing joke with all the guests and we'd applaud anyone who did brave it in for a swim! I managed it twice! A woman of about 70 swam everyday so it can't be that bad! As for the waiters - they were so sweet and friendly! If Akram wasn't smiling, the sun didn't shine! Ahmet invited us to his cousin's wedding, Ereem & Michael on the front desk were always up for a laugh!
Staying at the Philippe made my holiday - I upgraded to a Nile view room which was fantastic but next time I won't bother - it's the people and the warm welcome you get that matters more.
I would highly recommend this hotel - I got all this for £88 for 7 nights! I mean, I wouldn't get 2 nights B&B in England for that! Go to Luxor and enjoy your stay at Philippe!

Stayed: February 2007