“Worth seeing iif you have time”

Derbyshire
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Worth seeing iif you have time”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This temple just half an hour from Luxor is well worth seeing. The only temple that's been found which is dedicated to the ancient egyptian god of war, excavations first started in 1963 and took about 20 years. The actual standing parts are limited but you can get a really clear view of th eoverall lay out and there are extensive other remains laid out on the site. The reliefs are really high quality and not very damaged by previous people - no more recent damage as it was buried. Well worth a visit if you have tiem and so peaceful, we were the only ones there.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank aardvarktraveller

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Temple of Thoth”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was in Luxor for the week of may 20 -27 2010 ran out of things to do so my hired driver took me out here. When we got there my driver got in a fight with the tourist police at the front gate, said he would explain later. The temple is very small and situated in the middle of this small town. It's claim to fame was that it was the temple for having healthy babys and royalty would barge up a canal many miles from the Nile (canal long since dried up). There is an elaborate stone dock with the giant stone tie downs that just look so out of place deep in the desert. As we were leaving I asked him why the police were yelling at him? He informs me that westerners are to have a military escort out to this sight and he should have known this. Apparently ten French tourists had been murdered near by several years prior.