“Blissful relaxation on the Nile”

Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
NY
“Blissful relaxation on the Nile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

Everything about the Luxor Hilton Resort is top notch. The staff are friendly and go out of their way to see to your every need. We chose to stay here 4 nights after our Nile cruise to unwind and we did!!! The hotel is about 15 minutes outside of the center of town, but this posed no problem because there is a free shuttle on the hour that drops you off right at Luxor Temple. We wanted to see the Luxor Museum and the driver dropped us off right there. We also visited the Mummification Museum and took a caleche into the market. The pool at the hotel is crystal clear and inviting. The breakfast buffet includes so many choices, and fresh omelets, waffles, etc. can be made to order. This is the place to stay to get very spoiled!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emmak8
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments on trip advisor site.

We were very happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the resort facilities met your expectations.

Hope you have the opportunity to back gain to our sunny resort, Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa.

Osman Khairat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

This was my favorite hotel of my trip to Egypt and Jordan. I could have stayed here for a week without any problem. The public areas are gorgeous, including the lobby, pool, and restaurants. There are a few small shops off the lobby, including a bank and an ATM machine (I don’t think that ATM took American cards on the PLUS/NYCE/STAR system, though). There are several restaurant options; we enjoyed the four that we tried. We booked an upgraded room, and I would highly recommend that to everyone. We were on the second floor of the building adjacent to the Nile. I think there were only 27 rooms in that building, nine per floor on each of three floors. The main part of the hotel was farther from the Nile and pool, and more stories high. The big bonus to the upgraded rooms are the large balconies/terraces; the standard rooms in the main building have a little triangular sliver of a balcony, not even large enough to fit a chair, while we had a spacious terrace with two teak chairs with comfy cushions and a small table. The room was really comfortable, although not overly large. It certainly wasn’t the largest room we had during our trip; on the contrary, it may have been one of the smallest, but it was the one I liked best and felt completely comfortable in. The hotel seemed deserted, although I saw many people at the pool during the day; I’m not sure where they disappeared to at night. We only spent one night here, sadly. There is a little grocery store just outside the gates, but alcoholic beverages were harder to come by. There was a restaurant right outside the gates, and they sold us some beers by the can to take back to our room (we like to save a little money when we can). I don’t recall the restaurant name, and they didn’t take credit cards, so I don’t have a receipt, but it was almost directly across from the hotel driveway; the restaurant also functioned as a one-terminal internet cafe and library. We ate lunch at the poolside restaurant on the first day, followed by dinner on the outdoor Sunset Terrace, combining foods from Silk Road and Olives. In the morning, we had breakfast at Rosetta, which was included with our room rate, and very complete and plentiful. Internet access was free, but only because my spouse is a Hilton Hhonors Gold member. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way. There was a metal detector to enter the lobby, and the gatekeeper at the street entrance was extremely thorough. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

2 Thank fluffnfold
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent stay at our resort on trip advisor site.

It is to our utmost pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the service you received during your stay.

We really are looking forward to seeing and welcoming you back again to your second home, Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

This hotel is fabulous. Truly world class and a complete surprise given where it is located. First and foremost, the staff is superb. Every single person with whom we came into contact was attentive and tried to ensure we had everything we needed. The room was clean and well appointed and, importantly to us, very quiet. The grounds were immaculate and the pool was sparkling. The spa services were excellent.
The only negative was arranging tours. Tours are sold by the Thomas Cook office located on the property. I’d recommend avoiding it. Their tours are overpriced and the tour guides mediocre. But, you can’t beat the Hilton Luxor – a world class resort in all other respects.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davekv
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2010
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa and for taking the time to share us your experience via trip advisor site
about your recent stay.

We were very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff efforts have ended up to your enjoyment.

I would like to inform you that your comment concerning Thomas Cook has been forwarded to the company manager to take the necessary actions in order to avoid such in convenience in the future.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you come back in the near future to your second home, Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa.

melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton for 2 nights at the end of a Nile cruise, so that I could go on a balloon ride. It was expensive (in terms of my budget - I am travelling for a year so can't splurge like I do on shorter trips) - I booked 6 months in advance and got a rate of US $231 a night including breakfast and taxes.

I arrived early after the cruise ended, and they checked me straight in: I had a view over the nile and a small balcony - it was completely wonderful. The bed was lush, the furbishings in the room were wonderful, the bathroom was gorgeous ( a lovely stand alone shower) although no bidet (which I have grown used to). As well as breakfast (which was wonderful, varied and good quality items), there was a complementary afternoon tea delivered to my room - it was a wonderful surprise, a cool sampler tray with tiny sandwiches and cakes. On Saturday I had to leave for the airport at 6am and they provided me with a picnic box for breakfast (huge: baked goods, fruits and salad items, yoghurt, juice, water, boiled eggs etc) instead of the breakfast buffet. Two bottles of water were delivered to my room daily.

The hotel provided me with a converter plug when asked. I had room service dinner twice and it was HUGE - way more than I could eat (one night I had the mezze starter, the second night the penne) - there was a separate vegetarian dining section on the menu (kudos). the brownie with walnut icecream was incredible.

the pool at the hotel is lovely and the pool staff are incredibly attentive: they bring cool flannels, they come around and collect your sunglasses to clean them, if you get up to move the umbrella they are there to take over before you have moved from your seat etc.

the valets delivered and picked up my luggage with incredible promptness.

internet - I paid $25 for a 24 hour pass so I could finish uploading all my photos and download some of my TV shows - it was medium fast; it took a while but I got everything done.

in other words, you get what you pay for and the Hilton delivers real luxury for what would be really affordable prices in the West. I wished so much I could have stayed for longer - I flew from Luxor to Sharm, and moving to the Sheraton was a horrible shock after the Hilton.

Luxor itself - superb! do not miss the Museum - the objects inside are GORGEOUS - after spending 10 days clambering through ruins and goggling at the statues etc left inside the temples, it was a revelation to see so much beauty in one place. It is small and manageable in two hours: and much more informative than the Cairo museum.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank emah
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
I would like to thank you for your comments on trip advisor site.

We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay in our resort and you were happy with the service you received during your stay with us.

All Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa team members were delighted to know that their efforts ended up to your enjoyment.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you come back for another holiday.

Ranst, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with my husband for 7 nights in feb 2010. We have done a lot of travelling and were very sceptical about Egypt at first but in the end we found it to be one of the greatest holidays ever!! If you are not travelling with a touroperator you should get your touristvisa upon arrival at the left side at the bank (15USDpp).Before you exit after customs there is a taxfree shop were you can buy upon arrival (open 24hrs) We were picked up by the hotel shuttle bus (20USD) - make sure nobody else tries to take your luggage!The ride to hotel is approx 15min.Very friendly welcome by frontdeskmgr at 3am.We choose a deluxe room (nr.20 - 250USD per nite incl breakfast) which is located in a seperate building and has only 3 floors.The rooms are very modern and clean.Flatscreen with many channels, dvd player, very comy beds, small fridge (2 free bottles water a day), slippers and bathrobe.Bathroom only has walk in shower, no bath and is pretty small but nice and comfortable.The most plus is the fantastic balcony with front Nile view to watch the sunset every night ... unbeatable and a must !!! Breakfast buffet is excellent (in or outside).Pool is relaxing (not really for kids - they can 'fall' easily into Nile when you don't watch them but I feel it is also a more adult audience) and no problem with sunbeds (of course tipping is basic : 10EL is ok / 20EL and you get big smile).We ate at Silk Road,Olives and roomservice - all okay (Egyptian food and spices were just not our kind) - you don't need to worrie about getting sick at all. It's about 200EL pp for 2 course meal without alcohol.There is also a 'safe' and nice restaurant just across the street (Gerda's Garden) with very friendly people (half price Hilton).Next to this there are 2 grocerie stores (softdrink 3EL water 1EL).There is a bank to get bills changed and a ATM machine on the premises which is very convenient. We booked a private tour to Valley of Kings (350 EL pp) with ThomasCook desk in hotel but were not very pleased with guide (Mariam) : sometimes wrong info, goes quickly over everything and then waits at cafetaria - we saw other guides stick with their group more often (cannot advise other organisation but read about Memphistours). She advised to tip the driver and when I asked Mariam what would be acceptable she said 50EL - so we did and we tipped her 100EL. Later we overheard that average wage is between 200EL and 500EL and found ourselves to be trapped again ... When you visit Karnak (65 EL pp) you can get a private guide at the ticketbooth (40EL pp for an hour) which is fine. You can walk but just ask the shuttle driver to stop on the way to the center since he passes anyway. Make sure you NEVER catch a horse ride since they mistreat their animals badly !! Taxi is also very cheap, after hassle of course (20EL from hotel to Luxor Temple)
In the end we really enjoyed the history of the city in combination with the nice weather and the very luxury Hilton which is indeed a place to come home to. Staff is very friendly and try to make your stay comfortable in every way. What Egypt concerns ... it's a different way of life and you need to get by with the hassle all the time, make sure you are prepared but Luxor (and the Hilton) is really really a great destination if you want to combine sun, history and luxury. We would go back tomorrow if we could and no doubt we would choose to stay at the Hilton again.
PS 1 with the deluxe room you get free access to the spa area which looked very nice but we never used is, maybe next time !
PS 2- forgot almost the only minor thing : internet is very expensive (50EL for 30minutes) and sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow / do recommend to find other location

1 Thank Nadine068
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2010
Thank you for your choosing to stay at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa and for your comments on trip advisor site.

We were delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comment about the Nile area, we are in process to fix a fence for the docking as the safety of our guests is our top priority. For the time being, the security guy is available 24 hours as well as there is a sign on the Nile docking which alerts the guest.

As for the tips for the staff, this is optional and you don’t have to pay. Serving you is one of our duties to make your stay an enjoyable and memorable.

Regarding your comment about the internet has been taken into consideration and forwarded to the department involved.

I have noted your comments about Thomas cook service. I would like to inform you that this is an independently company, however, your valued comments have been convoyed to them to take the necessary actions.

Thank you again for your feedback about your stay at our property and looking forward to welcoming you soon again as you mentioned at your second home.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

If you're looking at any other hotel in Luxor, stop.

I have done the hard work for you so you don't need to think about booking anywhere else. My hard work included lounging by the pool, sitting in the spa rooms, eating fantastic food and smoking the sheesha at the Nile Side bar which I have done all for your benefit. In 5 days i succeeded in coming back to London totally relaxed and wanting to explore more of this fantastic country.

I can tell you that this hotel (a) is fantastic in terms of service, amenities and food; (b) is very well staffed by all areas (although all staff deserve a huge thanks from us - special mention must go to Musab in the Diwan Nile Bar who is an absolute gentlemen); (c) has a great buffet breakfast and brilliant asian restaurant (the curries are top notch and for desert, the Carrot Stew with Vanilla Icecream would not be out of place in top London establishments); (d) amazing pools to sit by and relax; and most importantly (d) has a wonderful atmosphere.

The spa pool is fantastic, and so is the service there. We also very much liked the main pool which is as good as any 5 star resort I have stayed in in SE Asia. WHAT A VIEW.

The gym equipment is top shelf with a fantastic view over the VOTK and the Nile. Loved working out there.

I wouldn't hesitate giving this hotel top marks every time.

One handy tip though - the tour company operating within the hotel (Thomas Cook) we found to be quite expensive. The tour company is not affiliated with the hotel but have a tour desk in the shops there. Much better to speak to concierge who will hire you your own car (150 EGP for 4-5 hours) who will take you to the sites directly. More time for lounging by the pool in the afternoons!!!

Loved it, would head back in a heart beat.

3 Thank Milkinator
GM_HiltonLuxor, General Manager at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
I would like to thank you for your comments on trip advisor site.

It is a pleasure to see that you were happy with the service you received during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share us your experience.

It is always good to receive a positive feed back; your thank you notes have been conveyed to our team members who were delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We really are looking forward to seeing and welcoming you back again to your second home.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

Unbeatable location - right on The River Nile. The sunsets were magic! We had fantastic rooms with a view over the Sunset Lounge, pool area & across the Nile. Colourful sunrises & views of the hot air balloons over the West Bank & superb sunsets to look at. Our requested interconnecting rooms were ready & available upon check-in, breakfast & all meals were not a problem to cater to any requests for the children, fruit was readily available throughout the hotel but could also be taken from the breakfast buffet for the day. The swimming areas were laid back & glamorous. Extra towels were given before being requested & the wet ones were replaced quickly enough.
The staff were discreet but always friendly & smiles on faces.
The Spa was superb & tucked away with it's own private entrance & pool - the kids seemed a world away. The rooms were a decent size (though the bathroom was small) & extra toileteries or towels were no problem. They even followed up after our departure.
A FANTASTIC hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank 4ofusDubai
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa and for your kind comments on trip advisor site.

It was pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcoming you soon again at your second home, Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa.