Stayed here for a week at the beginning of January as part of a package tour. I think the reviews here overstate a little the quality of the hotel. First the good:
1. Location is great. The madness of downtown Luxor is avoided and the views of the Nile are great (we had a Nile View Room). The hotel, generally, is also very quiet (30 percent occupancy we were told).
2. The hotel was refurbished in 2008 and is exceptionally clean and well maintained.
3. The hotel staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly. From the guy cleaning our room to the concierge staff, to the bar and restaurant staff, nothing was too much. Everything is anticipated. The concierge staff hired a taxi for us to tour (we used him thereafter repeatedly; pm me if you would like his car number) and even called him while we were travelling the first day to make sure everything was going OK.
4. The food in the hotel bar and the Asian restaurant is excellent, as was the breakfast.
The not so good:
1. Food: The price of food in the complex is not cheap but more importantly I would like see the prices quoted inclusive of the service charge and local taxes - which together add around 25 percent to the cost. I noted the Sofitel Winter Palace in downtown Luxor quoted net prices on their menus. Wine by the glass in the bar and restaurants is limited to local wines and a rather bad South African option. We took a taxi to eat and drink in the Winter Palace two evenings and found the offering to be better and no more expensive.
2. The main pool was very popular with families during our stay. Not a problem for us as we used the adult spa pool, but if I had to sit by the main pool it would not have been a very relaxing experience. Still, as I said, not a real negative, as we used the Spa pool which was excellent. I would not recommend this hotel for couples.
3. We found the Spa to be poorly run. This was the most disappointing element of the stay.
4. We had a room with a connecting door. For 6 of the 7 nights, we had complete peace. On the final night, the room next door was occupied. We could hear everything and, moreover, (their) cigarette smoke came into our room. Had it been like this for a week it would have been a very different experience. Be sure to ask for a non-connecting room.
5. The hotel rooms are very small. The bathrooms are particularly small and lack a bath.
- Walk to Karnak Temple for the light show
- Hire a taxi for trips to the other side of the river.
- It gets cold when the wind picks up and in the evening. Some days we could not sit by the pool.
- Get lots of Egyptian 5 and 10 pound bills for small tips. The Bank within the hotel (am only) is used of breaking larger notes.
- Eat at the Winter Palace at least once. They no longer have a jacket and tie acquirement for men.
- Our hotel staff also told us that we could pay to use the pool at the Winter Palace. We found this suggestion a little strange but the information may be useful for other travellers here (entry is around GBP10 per person as a day guest at the winter palace).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you desire to visit Luxor, you will find Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa the ideal base from which to explore the rich and ancient culture of the Nile Valley. Situated on the east bank, you can enjoy glorious, unobstructed views of the river Nile from our unique, water's edge location, with the largest waterfront on the Nile. Luxor is the site of ancient Thebes, and has a legendary reputation as the world’s finest open air museum, with an unparalleled range of historic monuments. The Temple of Karnak and Valley of Kings are on our doorstep. Our newly renovated resort & spa offers the ultimate in luxury, unparalleled in Luxor. Lounge in one of our five stylish bars, perhaps smoking a shisha pipe while gazing at the Nile. Sample the finest in Egyptian, Eastern and international cuisine in one of our three restaurants Rosetta, Olives and Silk road. Hilton Luxor boasts a World Class Spa covering an area of 1,150 m², including a beautiful garden, a 160 m2 Spa Infinity Pool, and 12 individual treatment rooms. Our palatial Karnak ballroom is the most contemporary and cutting-edge Nile Valley venue for corporate events and celebrations.You will find the attention to service as immaculate as the hotel’s contemporary Arabic design, At Hilton Luxor our highly trained and dedicated staff will make you feel like a Pharaoh during your Egypt holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Hilton Luxor Resort And Spa
- Luxor Hilton