“This hotel was comfortable, friendly, and well-situated in Luxor.”
Review of Emilio Hotel

Emilio Hotel
Ranked #44 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I booked in August 2010 via Teletext Holidays for a holiday for my friend and me for nine days half-board at the Emilio over Christmas. Unfortunately the heavy snow prevented my friend from travelling from North England down to Gatwick Airport so I had to travel on holiday ALONE to Luxor. It was my first trip to Egypt and I would not have chosen to travel by myself but I took a deep breath and went to Gatwick to see if indeed I would get to take off. So travelling to Luxor and staying at the Emilio turned out fine. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The first room I was given was a Nile view but unfortunately the sliding glass door on the balcony didn't lock so I had to try a couple more rooms to find one with a balcony door that locked. Hopefully they have fixed those sliding glass doors now. I ended up with one on the fifth floor, still a Nile view which was great. The room was so clean, comfortable, the air conditioning worked and the housekeeping staff cleaned every day, and amusingly they shaped the clean towels into clever designs on the bed each day - swan, boat, cowgirl using my straw hat and scarf. I can also recommend eating dinner at the hotel because the food was so fresh and tasty, so I am so glad we did half board, especially since I ended up going alone. Otherwise I would have been anxious having to go out alone for dinner each night. It was such good value and good food and I felt completely safe in the hotel. I ate everything, including salads and I didn't get ill. The swimming pool and cafe on the roof is worth a visit too. Spa treatments were available and I treated myself to a pedicure which I can recommend too. The waiters in the restaurant were friendly except one was too friendly, or smarmy, but I guess he had other ideas about a woman travelling alone but I think some middle-aged women go to Luxor for other reasons than the history! The hotel is in walking distance to the Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum, Mummification Museum and the ferry across the Nile, and oh yes, close to the bazaar for shopping. I found an internet cafe next to the Nefertiti Hotel nearby which was cheaper than internet at the hotel, but that was a small thing overall.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank melindabb

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Having read the reports on tripadvisor I book the Emilio for the view of the temple and its city centre location. On reflection the state of the hotel is not worth the view. You will be overlooking Luxor temple if you get the right room and the tourist and local markets are right on your door step. You will also overlook one of the busiest crossroads in luxor. The traffic noise is relentless.

The Hotel Itself is to say the least drab dull and very much uncared for, general up keep and cleanliness is poor and the plumbing is ill maintained, my bathroom made loud noise constantly for the full week. The so called Disco in the basement is filthy.

The food is poor don't eat dinner here there's much better to be found further afield. The breakfast is also poor.

The staff in the common areas are at best disinterested and can be almost rude at times having said that the cleaning staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank monumentchaser
Reviewed December 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel to get away from the snow in the UK. It did the job of providing sunshine. The main reason I booked the hotel was because of its fantastic central location, which was very very close to the Luxor Temple.

Food was disgusting most of the time. We chose to eat out even though we had upgraded to half board in the UK. Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis but the bath never cleaned - not sure what she was doing but the cleaner was very friendly, in fact she was the only friendly person in the hotel until it came to last day and they all suddenly became friendly and wanting tips!!

Hotel was situated right in the centre which was great, downside was the outside noise but we coped due to the central location. (Just take ear plugs with you - all you hear is beep beep beep (car horns) ).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luci-fur
Reviewed December 14, 2010

There are good and bad things to say about the Emilio.
Location - a couple of minutes from Luxor temple and the Nile ferryboat crossing and it has fantastic views from the rooftop terrace of both and the city. It is also a couple of minutes from the main tourist souk (expect lots of hassle) and also the locals market as well (which is spectacularly grim). the street it is on is very busy and the main gyratory for all cross town traffic is in front of the hotel so expect noise, beeping horns and plenty of local colour. It is ideal if you prefer to be a bit off the main tourist track and to really experience the local altmosphere.
Rooms - I think we must have had the smallest room in the hotel and the only one without a tv judging by what we saw through open doors during cleaning. Rooms at the back do not have a balcony. rooms at the front get the road noise which wasn't a problem for us but would be for many. The bathroom was in need of a good scrub and our safe box didn't work. (reported but not fixed). beds were comfy enough and cleanliness was just about acceptable. Only 1 small bath towel per person is given and no hand towels.
Facilities - no information was given about food etc so although the hotel served dinner and aparrently pizza in the afternoons this was not mentioned or advertised anywhere. There was a disco in the basement which we stuck our heads into once but it was empty. the roof terrace was very nice, good chairs and loungers. didn't see anyone in the pool but it looked clean. A nice place to watch the sun set over the Nile. The bar at the hotel is expensive as we found all bars to be in Luxor. Alcohol is much dearer here than elsewhere in Egypt and even soft drinks were pricey. wine appeared to be watered down.
Food - breakfast was as expected for a 3 star egyptian hotel. Eggs - boiled or omelletes and fried eggs cooked to order, bread and pastries, yoghurts and cheese. there were also always 4 hot egyptian choices like beans and potatoes.
Staff were pleasant and helpful enough when asked, but did not volunteer any information about anything much.
We chose the Emilio because it seemed much closer to everything than other hotels. The first day we walked for several hours (amid the gauntlet of carriage drivers, taxi drivers and general shopkeepers who would not take no for an answer) and found many other hotels along the Nile Corniche to be closer to International standard restaurants and bars. In the vicinity of the Emilio we found no where to eat which looked sanitary. We ate at Puddleducks, Snobs, Maxims, and Castello which are all close to the Nile Palace and Royal House hotels.These restaurants were all good value with fillet steak at around €5-7 per person. It is a shame we felt the need to eat in international restaurants rather than in local places but it wasn't worth the risk. We found everything apart from food was expensive for tourists as I believe they are suffering from a lack of visitors and have increased prices to compensate. You get a non stop barrage of sales pitches from all kinds of businesses, all who say the same things and sell the same (mostly main in china) goods. This became exhausting after the first couple of days. You are expected to haggle even for water in the minimarkets. We like to walk which seemed to be a strange notion to the locals. Take a lot of anti bacterial handwash and tissues with you as Luxor in general is very dirty and dusty.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I wrote a review of the Emilio in 2007 because I thought I must have stayed at a different hotel to many of the reviewers of the time who were giving it, in my opinion unwarented bad reviews. I happily returned to the Emilio a number of times in the following couple of years although I did not stay there in the last 18 months. I returned in Nov 2010 for 2 weeks.

Sadly it is not quite the Emilio I remember. Everything looked familiar and most of the staff were the same but alas something was sadly lacking. In the end I put it down to lack of motivation and self esteem. There was nothing that was out and out wrong and yet there was a lot that just wasn't right and could so easily have been put right. Little things like explaining where and when breakfast could be taken and being welcomed to the dining room on arrival. Making sure that tables in the breakfast room were always properly cleared once guests had left etc.

Comments from my first review, with my latest comments in [ ]
My stay in April 07 was delightful and I would return.
~Convenient location.[No change there and the views are even better since the recent demolition].
~Helpful ,friendly, caring staff, [General feeling that many are sadly lacking in enthusiasm and motivation]
~Clean facilities. [Standards have dropped, not drasticly but enough to be noticed by a returnee]
~Full size bath and shower. [One morning no hot water at all, other times trying to regulate the shower temp was quite an art often being either scalding hot or cold]
~ Extra towels when required. [No problem here. I was a single in a twin but always had 2 clean sets of towels and soap]
~Fridge in room. [Thank goodness they are still there and a sensible size too]
~T.V.in room.[Couldn't get it to work first try. Asked the room maid for help - solution I discovered at end of day was she'd unplugged fridge and plugged TV into that socket! I did find another socket close enough to the TV to use in the end.]
~Air con in room.[I couldn't adjust the temp so would hit the main switch on or off throughought the night whenenver I woke! In reality I should have raised this with the staff at the time.]
~Clothes airer/dryer on balcony - very useful.[Provided on request. Told it would take a few days but infact appeared in less than 30mins].
~Pool area very popular, although I didn't have time to use it. [I didn't use the pool but did sit on the roof area a few times. Views from here must be amongst the best in Luxor now]
~Reasonable selection of meals and snacks available from poolside restaurant.[Tried a few of the spaghetti dishes out and also a Pizza when I wasn't out with friends - nothing fancy but good value for money].

~Breakfast - reasonable choice and edible (which is more than I can say for the last Luxor hotel I stayed at).[Still good choice, imo, although service could have been improved by providing sufficient serving implements. Hunt the saucer, teaspooon, salt and pepper etc became the mornings initiative test for some! Very confusing (for those of us who don't wake up before our 3rd coffee) when breakfast moved to the roof without warning.]

It may have been the room I occupied but it seemed smaller than I remember from the previous twins I've stayed in. I would have found it very restricting and claustrophobic to share this room for more than a night. Only two hangers in the wardrobe when I arrived but I asked immediately for more and was given another 6 within a short space of time.

I don't recall using electric key cards on previous stays, and to begin with mine nearly drove me mad. I lost count over the first couple of days how many times I had to go back to reception for assistance. Maybe it was just me that was over tired on arrival and not paying attention but as the man in the room next door was also having problems I don't think it was me!

Staff - as already mentioned, there seemed to be an overall lack of energy and enthusiasm. Infact the only one I can't really say this of was my room maid. Certainly they were not always hand open looking for tips as some people have stated in the past, equally there were many who I have tipped in the past who just didn't deserve it this time.

I did raise the various issues I had with the manager and he has promised to look into them and invited me back to do an inspection whether I stay there again or not. I hope that the Emilio, always under the threat of demolition because of it's proximity to the Avenue of Sphinx and the new road layout, will still be there when I do manage to return.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but I would probably explore other options a bit more seriously first.
Was it value for money? Yes, although I have seen it advertised at far higher prices than I paid and I would certianly not be happy if I had paid more than I did.

I cannot submit this review without clicking the button below - Would I recommend this hotel? Although I've said yes, it would also be on the proviso that I had spelt it out exactly what the hotel is like, and it's location, as I know it would not suite all. (Many find the location too noisy and wouldn't stay because of that).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank boringFS
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I liked this hotel for the location and amenities. It is not a luxury hotel, but a comfortable one. The location couldn't be better, right in the heart of Luxor. Walking distance to the Temple of Luxor and a cabs abound to take you anywhere else. Our room looked like it was stuck in the 1970s, but it was very clean and the TV, shower, and toilet all worked. It even had a small balcony. The best part of this hotel was the rooftop pool! You can relax on comfortable loungers and get a spectacular view of the Temple and the surrounding mountains. Women can swim comfortable in a bikini (something I didn't find many budget places in egypt) and there are snack and drinks at good prices delivered poolside. The astroturf and yellow umbrellas add some nice character, too.
If you're going to Luxor for the sights (not to sit around a plush hotel) this is a great place to stay at the end of your day.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tr4velc4t
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My partner and I stayed here a few weeks ago and it was just what we needed in a mid range hotel; convenient location, helpful staff and a nice rooftop pool to cool off. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple