“On the bank of the Nile River with lovely views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor

Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Luxor
Victoria, BC Canada
“On the bank of the Nile River with lovely views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed for 1 night in November off our cruise ship. We had an overnight in the port of Safaga, and decided to stay in a hotel in Luxor rather than on the ship.The drive one way is 3 hours from Safaga to Luxor. We had both a buffet breakfast and lunch at the hotel with a great selection of items. We did not go away hungry! We had a view of the Nile from our room and could see the hot air balloons in the morning from our balcony. Both Bedroom and bathroom were a nice size. If you wanted the use of a coffee maker for your room or wifi, there was an additional cost. We thought the location was central with many other hotels in the area. We took a sunset boat ride from the hotel which was beautiful. The pool area looked very nice and tables had been set up below for a dinner function later that evening.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snoopy647
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear snoopy647,

Thank you for nice review , we are happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel as well as the food and the service , we hope we can host you again soon at our hotel .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

On the advice of the travel agent it was recommended that I "upgrade" to the 5 Star Sonesta St. George where he would request a Nile View room for me. I thought okay I will treat myself to something special over Christmas (6 days) so I upgraded. Well the hotel was not a 5 Star as far as I was concerned. The room had two single beds which made it very very difficult for me to get any sleep. The Wi-Fi was an additional £30 only because they had a special otherwise it is £10/day and if I wanted a kettle in my room it was an additional $35 U.S. The view was of a car park and residential homes which wasn't at all nice. As for the customer service at the front desk I found them to be somewhat short and dismissive. Perhaps it was a language issue but it put me off so tried not to interact with them if possible. The fitness area isn't much but one could argue you are on holiday. I don't know but perhaps I was in a budget room but my experience was nothing like so many others on Tripadvisor. There wasn't much I enjoyed about my stay and I would feel comfortable recommending the Sonesta St. George to anyone thinking of coming to Luxor. On the advice of the travel agent it was recommended that I "upgrade" to the 5 Star Sonesta St. George where he would request a Nile View room for me. I thought okay I will treat myself to something special over Christmas (6 days) so I upgraded. Well the hotel was not a 5 Star as far as I was concerned. The room had two single beds which made it very very difficult for me to get any sleep. The Wi-Fi £33 was an additional £30 only because they had a special otherwise it is £10/day and if I wanted a kettle in my room it was an additional $35 U.S. The view was of a car park and residential homes which wasn't at all nice. As for the customer service at the front desk I found them to be somewhat short and dismissive. Perhaps it was a language issue but it put me off so tried not to interact with them if possible. The fitness area isn't much but one could argue you are on holiday. I don't know but perhaps I was in a budget room but my experience was nothing like so many others on Tripadvisor. There wasn't much I enjoyed about my stay and I would feel comfortable recommending the Sonesta St. George to anyone thinking of coming to Luxor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Roevin43
Dear Roevin43,

Let me wish you first Merry Christmas and happy New Year . As per review you mentioned that you could not sleep because of the single bed , i just wanted to know if you requested to change the room and they did not change it for you? Also for the kettle , the hotel offers free kettle only in Royal Club rooms and it is charged around 5 $ for normal rooms so i guess the 35 $ is for your whole stay . I apologize for any inconvenience you may have faced during your stay .
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Only spent one night at this hotel but I loved it and would happily stay longer. Beautiful view over the west bank and sat on the balcony watching the balloons go up at dawn.
Very high tech. ablutions, and took a while to work out how to get a shower without disco lights and use the loo. Sure I would have nailed it with more time.
Only possible very minor fault, the pool was too warm yes, I did say too warm. Not as refreshing as it might have been. I love Luxor and this hotel is a great base from which to explore.

2 Thank Maz47-11
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The location is great, very central. We tried to go for a walk, but so many hawkers were pressing us to buy something, we actually turned back and instead shopped in the hotel for gifts. There is a terrific little shop on the ground level that sells handmade blown glass items, especially lovely and delicate little perfume bottles. The store also has various perfumes in bulk to sample and buy in various quantities, and all this at very reasonable prices. The room was most interesting, appointed in what one assumes is a more local style. Beds were very comfortable but the bathroom stole the show with its automated shower/bathtub and toilet. There is an entire page of instructions on how to use the toilet. There are balconies also; we faced the street and that was interesting just for the sights and sounds. The pool is nice in the spacious back of the hotel with the Nile right there. The food is good but not too memorable. All in all, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Nile at a higher floor, but even the street view is fun.
1 Thank BartMBart
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Enjoyed a return visit to the sonesta st George. My friend and i visit Luxor every year to volunteer at the sunshine Orphanage and this was an ideal base. Hotel has a lovely pool area, with only feluccas moored up beside it unlike some hotels who had cruise ships. Service around the pool and breakfast buffet was excellent. the room service also excellent, clean towels twice a day, beds turned down. We had a side nile view, so best of both worlds, nile view to watch the sun rise and set, and a view of the street to watch the world.
All staff friendly and helpful. We will return to this hotel again next year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I work in travel and even considered not going back to egypt with all the current unrest. I am so glad we went back and especially to the Sonesta.
The reception staff were so helpful, the restaurant staff so friendly and the pool staff were really attentive.
It was only our second visit to the hotel but we were made to fell like long lost friends.
The room was excellent, breakfast was plentiful, fresh and a huge selection from Japanese, European to British, American and of course Egyptian.
The main hero's of the hotel are the cleaning staff, nothing is to much trouble, constant towels, fresh sheets and turn down service.
Wonderful stay, good central location, good kalesh drivers outside (Adam).
We will be back next year regardless of the politics in Egypt. Luxor seems very safe we went to Dendara, Abydos and went treking on our own over the valley of the queens to the nobles and on to the kings ( long walk but well worth it)
Well done the Staff at the Sonesta you do a fantastic job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and I cannot praise the staff and facilities enough. The room staff changed the towels twice a day and the room was always spotless and the view across the Nile from our balcony was fantastic. The breakfast staff were always attentive and friendly and we enjoyed our daily breakfast by the pool. The pool staff were always on hand to help with anything we needed, wonderful service! We had a problem with the room phone and I made 3 calls to book my horse riding but could not get connected. The reception staff looked into it and did not charge me for the calls. I love this hotel, everything is professional and luxurious, but the staff are always friendly and helpful. Just perfect - I'll be back!

Room Tip: Get a Nile view - it's worth it