“best holiday ever”

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“best holiday ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

From arriving to departing the hotel staff were very helpful, the security on the main entrance were friendly; not to mention the band that played the typical Egypt music brilliant.
Food was good in both the hotel & in the restaurants on the complex, value for money.
The man who tends the pool bar was out of this world he waited on us hand & foot (so to say) nothing was too much trouble, he even kept 2 loungers for us every day for the 2 week we stayed; didn't expect a tip at all. we gave him 20 Egyptian pounds on the day we left which is a lot of money to them.
We walked out of the complex day & night (some people advised us against this but to see the out side was an eye opener) you do get the men who annoy you by persistently saying "you want a taxi" "you want to eat" " take a trip on my boat", if you say no thank you they will get used to it & leave you alone.
We will be going back next year & we would recommend this holiday to anyone.

Room Tip: try for a bungalow or pool view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leedslass47
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
and we are waiting for the honor of welcoming your good-self next year to experience Sheraton excellent service.
your positive comments are very much encourage to our assoicates to feel proud.

Nahla Youssef (Mrs.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
london, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've just returned from Luxor, staying for two nights in the Sheraton.
We paid extra for a "Club Room". I would not recommend doing this as the room is tiny, and the benefit of club room access was not worth the premium paid as the hours for free drinks in the Club Room were very restrictive (the opening hours were not stated on the Sheraton website).
As expected the hotel was almost empty, but despite this at 2am security guards managed to wake us up on the last night by choosing to chat outside one of the only occupied rooms in the hotel.
The hotel also seems to have some unhelpful "rules". An example of this is despite paying for a club room, that included breakfast, after checking in we were informed that we had to pay an extra 100LE per person for the privilege of having breakfast in the restaurant; only breakfast in the Club room was included (again not stated on the website). Having stayed in many club rooms throughout the world this is the first time we've been asked to pay extra for a service that is free for cheaper rooms!
Apparently their policy is also not to recommend any restaurants, only their own. Again this is the first time I've stayed in a hotel that the concierge will not recommend any restaurant but its own. The food in the restaurant was also mediocre at best.

These problems were a pity as the staff were in general very pleasant, otherwise I would have rated the hotel as terrible.

After two nights we moved to the Hilton Luxor, paying a similar rate, which was superb, and offered much better value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank flightdoc
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
First, we would like to extend our sincere apology for any inconvenience you experienced during your last visit to Sheraton Luxor Resort.
Rest assures that we are thank you for your valuable observations & comments.
We are very considering for it in order to maintain our services to meet & to exceed your expectations for the coming visit.
For any further queries and/or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Nahla Youssef (Mrs.)
Swanley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the sheraton at the end of June and loved every aspect of the hotel. Egypt is a great place and although the locals are persistent they are just trying to make business to provide for their families. The hotel itself had none of this however. It was peaceful and the staff worked so hard to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We had a bungalow by the quiet pool and it was plenty big enough for the two of us, the bed was also big and very comfortable. The bath/shower was also good, plenty of hot water and so many different options in how to wash. Our pool bar attendant Muffasa was very attentive and really looked after us throughout our stay.
Due to the unrest in Egypt Thomson made us evacuate after just one week of our two week holiday, and we didn't want to go, we were enjoying ourselves so much. I guess it means we will just have to come back as soon as we can!
Thank you Sheraton!

Room Tip: The bungalows are a must
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tabatha R
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Also we are!!!
Also we wouldn't let you to leave; it was a force majeure that forced us to let you leave us.
Moustafa & all our associates are waiting for the honor of welcoming you & your room mate to re-visit Sheraton Luxor Resort to experience a hospitality stay.

New Haven, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my trip in Egypt, but Egypt is exhausting! Between the heat, the yelling, and people trying to sell you something everywhere you turn it can be overwhelming. The Sheraton Luxor was a really wonderful retreat away from all of that. The Nile view rooms are amazing, and I already miss having a cup of tea on the balcony at sunset as Islamic sung prayers were projected from the nearby mosques.

Using the technology (business center, local phones) was a bit challenging, but the staff was very helpful at getting around the various website blocks and navigating all the different prefixes you needed to make a call. Also many people in Egypt expect baksheesh (small tips) for doing things like carrying your bags (whether you want them to or not), giving you directions, allowing you into tombs, etc., but very few places in Luxor provide change when you pay them, and the ATMs only give big bills. The hotel was so helpful in breaking my big bills so I could leave tips.

The restaurants were all good (and actually the Italian restaurant there is GREAT) and very accommodating. The poolside bar had wonderful drink and snack options, and the pools were both quiet and relaxing.

I'd like to second another review that one of their taxi drivers, Mamduh, is wonderful. He taught me some Arabic to keep people from hassling me, gave me advice on navigating the various sights, and even invited me over for Ramadan dinner. Ali Abdul, whose family runs the Sheraton's tour options, is also wonderful, makes planning day trips and outings very easy, and has extremely reasonable prices. And he knows everyone in Luxor so is very helpful in a pinch with anything travel related (taxis, trains, planes, etc.) I'm a young woman traveling alone, and Ali was really concerned about me getting hassled and ripped off, so when I took trips with him he came to the ticket counters with me to make sure that I was getting the correct price, etc. Also, be sure to ask him for where to go to get authentic Egyptian food!

Finally, and I know this is small, but many hotels in Egypt had very weird electrical outlets, and I couldn't charge my phone, computer, etc. The Sheraton Luxor had standard Europe/Middle East outlets so that this was not a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
It is great pleasure for all of our associates to hear from you.

Your positive comments are very encouraging for us to keep working to deliver our entire guest their expectations and to retain them repeated their visits to Sheraton Luxor Resort specifically when in Luxor any time.

We all at Sheraton Luxor Resort are waiting for the honor of welcoming you once and more to deliver you an excellent service.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

As per Fairyface45, I am also late in reviewing, however I agree with the whole review.
Egypt is a favourite holiday destination for me, and while I have stayed at other hotels, I will definitley return to the Sheraton.
The staff here are second to none with nothing too much trouble. The position of the hotel overlooking the Nile is tremendous, and from the balcony you can see the sun setting over the Valley of the Kings. Superb! The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. And very clean.
Facilties include a gym, sauna and spa, and are great quality. The only downside, if at all, is that the hotel is not particularly geered towards young children in terms of kids clubs and other facilities. But without kids, not a problem.

Room Tip: Go for a pool view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
All our associates are very much obliged for you positive comments.

Definitely your observation regarding children care is in consideration and it is in our plan to improve our service delivery as expected for all our guests.

For any further queries, suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton last year in july, sorry for very late review, myself and my Egyptian friend stayed in 2 bungalows right by the quiet pool, it was beautiful! The rooms were very clean, and the housekeeping worked very hard to keep them nice! The location was perfect, away from the main town, and overlooking the nile. All the staff were wonderful, from reception to waiters to pool boys, gardeners etc! I will definitly be returning later in the year, please dont be put off by recent protests, last year it was very quiet, and its madness to not visit this relaxing peace of luxury history and lovely people, its away from it all!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fairyface45
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Your positive comment is very impressed.
All the departments members you mentioned was very happy to receive this comments, and it encourages them to keep working hardly to deliver better services.
Thanks god that Luxor is still away from the protests.

Nahla
Sevastopol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at Sheraton for two night but really enjoyed it. Luxor is a very inteersting place, I would reccommend travellers to stay in this city for a couple of days and explore it. Our room was spacious enough and quite clean, it was better than I expected. Breakfast was good enough, we had dinner in the Indian restaurant and the food was tasty, they also have Italian restaurant which is very good as well. The only drawback I would like to highlight is the guy from the currency exchange office, he was smoking while doing his duties, dont know if it acceptable there but definitely I dont think it is acceptable according to Sheraton standards. The rest of the staff was very friendly and smiling, especially I would like to give me copliments to the restaurant manager who assistaed us greately!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elena F
Your nice encourage comment is a power for all Sheraton Luxor Resort's associates.

We thank you for this positive comment, and regarding your comment about the currency exchange employee we convey your message to his boss, as he is belonging to a bank rents the space to provide the service, we are not getting rid of the responsibilty to advice him not to do such behavior.

We all at Sheraton Luxor Resort, are waiting for the honor of welcoming you good-self to visit our hotel to spend an enjoyable remarkable stay.

Nahla