“Behind the scenes”

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having just returned from a week in the Jolie Ville I cannot add anything to the rave reviews this hotel receives in terms of food,position,amenities etc. What I can add, as an ex environmental health officer, is an insight into the state of the kitchens which provide all the food for the guests and staff.
I arrived, unannounced, at the kitchens and was met by Mr Mahmoud Nashid, the executive sous chef, who spent an hour with me as I carried out an impromptu inspection. The hotel employs in the region of 70 chefs and has some of the cleanest kitchens I have ever inspected. In addition temperature control, personal hygiene and food storage facilities are of the highest standards.Just what I would have expected from this first ciass hotel.

4  Thank suemjill
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Suemjill from Catterick Garrison,

Thank you very much for your visit to the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island and for the time you have taken to write your kitchen visit experience in our Resort to Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to learn that you approve as a professional upon our procedures and hygiene standards of our food production. The entire team is putting a lot of efforts and controls into this matter as health and safety for our esteemed clients are an absolute priority.

Thanking you very much for having selected our Resort to be your home in Luxor,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have just been back to this hotel for a second time. Our stay was as wonderful as the last one, two years ago. The rooms are big, with enormous beds. Very very clean. The food was always varied and well presented. All of the staff were unerringly polite and cheerful. Which adds to the enjoyment of a stay there. I cannot recommend the Jolie Ville highly enough.

We didn't fancy going into Luxor, due to the aggressive selling techniques of the locals. I know they need to earn a living, but there are better ways to sell to tourists. We took a taxi out on two occasions, to see Egyptian life and birdlife. Brilliant and very cheap. On the second day in the taxi, we went to the West Bank. Again, a lovely trip. But the highlights of our week there, was going onto the River Nile with Ahmed, who is very knowledgeable about the birds of Egypt and makes great tea! He doesn't peddle his trips, which is a pity. In three trips out with him, we saw thousands of birds and whenever we wanted close up photos, he would turn off the engine and drift the boat right up to the birds. An amazing experience. If you go there, go out with him, for ten pounds an hour and tea thrown in, what more could you want? Breakfast in the sunshine, lunch in the sunshine and dinner under patio heaters if it's a bit chilly. The grounds are manicured and spotless. There is an army of gardeners keeping the place looking wonderful. Please go, it is a lovely experience.

Room Tip: If you love a long walk, get a superior room in one of the new blocks. If you don't want a long...
1  Thank ripmika
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Ripmika from Kent UK,

Thank you very much for having chosen our Resort to be your home in Luxor for your holiday this year. Thank you as well for a very nice and complementing report on Tripadvisor, I will print out a copy for Ahmed “birdmen”.

We are looking forward to welcome many birdwatchers and lovers to show them around the Kings Island bird paradise!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just outside of the famous city of Luxor, there is a place of peace on an Island in the middle of nature! The wide gardens around the bungalows, the three different pool areas and the sunset area make a stay an experience far away from the mass tourism in the tombs and temples.An excellent breakfast buffet with a wide variety of fruits and specialities from Europe and Egypt starts the day, five restaurants are spread over the Island. I especially recommend the French à la carte restaurant "La Fleur", where we enjoyed the finest cuisine we found in Upper Egypt.

Room Tip: Personally I prefer the classcial bungalows, as the the garden area is nicer than in the newyly buil...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Zurichhiker from Zuerich Switzerland,

Thank you very much for the various stays at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor in the past years and for having taken the time to write an utmost positive report on Tripadvisor.

I am happy we could once again live up to the expectations and that you have enjoyed your stay on our Nile island with your group. Thank you as well for the compliments about the breakfast buffet and the “La Fleur” a la carte French Restaurant.

Thank you very much for being such a nice ambassador for Luxor and for bringing your groups on a regular basis to Upper Egypt! We are looking very much forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island in the not so far future on!

Sunny regards from peaceful & spectacular Luxor

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We wanted a quiet location in Luxor away from the crowds in a quality hotel. This hotel fits the bill perfectly. Spacious, comfortable room. The WIFI is slow, but adequate. The food is good, local and seasonal. The meals by the pools, in the bar and in the rooms are excellent and good value. We did not find the two upper end restaurants value for money. La Fleur is supposedly the best, but it has no ambience and is just an appendage to the main restaurant. In fact people walk through La Fleur from the main restaurant to get to the toilets. Service in the dining rooms was average because the staff are not proactive. The pools are all beautiful and we swam every day. We appreciated the adults only pool which was warmer (25 degrees) and quieter. Booze is very pricey and obtainable in town at a third of the price, but this is typical of hotels everywhere. No fault of the hotel, but the driving in Egypt is diabolical. But we still had a wonderfully relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Better to overlook the Nile.
1  Thank Geoffrey D
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Geoffrey D,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island and for the time taken to write your holiday experiences to Tripadvisor.

Your comments are of great value to us and I shall especially sit with our Restaurant team to discuss the “not pro active” matter. Thank you.
WIFI is a bit slow because we still have no fiber optic cables in the region and with the new government in place I believe some additional “filters” where installed which is slowing down the data speed additionally.
Regarding the La Fleur location, I agree with you that it could be better and I have just yesterday ordered our engineering team to put some “masharabia” wall in front of the toilet entrance to shield it off and give more privacy.
Booze is pricy because of huge taxes of 350% for all imported alcohol. If you got it cheaper in town they most probably have used local products which are as well differing in quality.
About the traffic; I only can recommend “in Rome do as the Romans do!”

Thanking you again for having selected our Resort to be your home in Luxor, we are looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not so far future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed with a large group of friends. I have to say that it is so vast and big and extremely well though and designed. Friendly staff and great food. Huge dining area on the Nile with a gorgeous view and impeccable service. Highly recommended to anyone who has kids or friends or family that wants a unique get-away and spend time within the resort.

Room Tip: A great choice and a great place.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Worldwelltravelled from LA USA,

Thank you very much for your very positive travel report posted on Tripadvisor and for having chosen our Resort to be your home in Luxor during your recent visit.

We are enchanted to read that you and your group have enjoyed the stay at our Resort and hope to be able to welcome you back in Upper Egypt again very soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm currently in this hotel at the moment and can't find anything wrong with it but one thing. THE POOLS ARE TOO COLD. I've complained several times and have been told that they are heated. NO THEY ARE NOT. it's a crying shame that a hotel that is perfect in every, I mean every other way can't seem to understand my and many other comments before this one that the pools are too cold. I feel very strong about this as my family are reduced to just standing at the edge of the pool in a very sunny day. I am not the only person feeling this way as many other guests never go in.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look into this as it is the only thing stoping me from having a perfect holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LuxorAbcdeedcba
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Luxor Abcdeedcba from your current holiday place,

First of all let me thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to spend your holiday this February and for having taken the time to write to Tripadvisor.

I am utmost pleased to read that with one exception, which I will try to explain to you shortly, you and your family are enchanted with our Resort and its services over all.

Since a couple of months Egypt is facing a huge oil shortage, diesel is available only very limited and I wished this would change immediately. I have complaint to the Luxor Governor about the matter on several occasions about this but nobody seems to be responsible or can do anything You can see the problem as well when driving to town, where you can witness huge lanes of cars, trucks, buses, tractors etc waiting in front of the gasoline stations for diesel.

Because of this shortage I am forced to stop the pool heating from time to time when we reach a minimum level of diesel in our storage tanks. We also heat the water in the rooms with diesel as well I need a min. level for the emergency generators.

Believe you me; we heat the infinity & relaxing pool as much as we can. Only the new horizon pool does not yet have a heating system installed. Today morning (19th Feb at 07:30 am) the infinity pool has 22 degrees and the relaxing pool has 25, horizon pool unheated at 18 degrees.

It would be silly and unprofessional not to heat the pools during winter season which by the way is our high season when we built up the reserves for the low summer. This is why tourists are coming to our hotel, to linger in the warm sun and use the pools during cold winter months in Europe. I would as well not go to a ski resort when there is no snow!

Please do not hesitate to come and see me in my office or approach me when you see me around the hotel, I am happy to discuss the matter with you person to person. If I might ask you to remove this comment from Tripadvisor as this problem, which I fully appreciate is completely out of our hands.

Thank you once again for having chosen our hotel for your Luxor holiday, I remain with

Reviewed February 17, 2013

After two weeks of being in Alexandria then Cairo I spent 4 days in downtown Luxor for the convenience of downtown restaurants, plus the Luxor Temple and Karnak.
After that I needed a break and a bit of peace and quiet!
Pretty much a self contained resort. It has pools (2 of which are heated, and one is adults only!), bungalows of ranging quality with both Nile / non Nile view, restaurants, tennis courts, entertainment options and excursion and boat trip availability. A free shuttle bus into town and back, free wifi and a little zoo with a few domesticated animals, some camels and a couple of monkeys.
I was there on my own, so the resort was a little quiet as tourism at the moment is still suffering in Egypt, and therefore most of the guests were 60+ apart from several young families.
But if you want to get away from the noise, hassle and crowds, Jolie Ville is a great place to do it! There is lots of space to be able to just sit back, look at the Nile and take in the environment!
Ive mentioned in other reviews that I am a little tired of hotel buffets. They are generally tired, generic and limited in imagination. I came to The Jolie Ville with no expectations, but rather reservations by the fact that I was far enough away from town that it might be a hassle having to go into town to eat every night. My first meal that I had there was a poolside meal and it didnt excite and I thought to myself "here we go again". After this and having met the the Executive Chef Mr Nabil, my faith was restored! Even though not everything was perfect, it was probably the most organised, diverse, expansive and fresh buffet area that I have been to in a long time. So good work Mr Nabil and your team!
Overall my stay was very pleasant, and would happily recommend it to anyone that is heading to Luxor!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Oliver from Varese Italy,

Thank you very much for your resent stay on Kings Island and for the time taken to write your Jolie Ville holiday experience to Tripadvisor.

I am very happy you took the time to talk to our Executive Chef Mr. Mahmoud Nabil and that he was able to provide you with an upgraded culinary experience, other than you had expected.
It is our aim to have all our esteemed clients leaving our Resort with good memories and satisfied with our “product”. It is of course not always possible to know the exact expectations and therefore we are very happy when our guests talk to us as long as we can change things and provide for the better.

Thanking you again for having selected our Resort to be your home in Luxor,