“Beautiful Hotel and Wonderful Staff”

Mercure Luxor Karnak
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Sofitel Karnak in March for my 40th Birthday. After an initial upset about my room, Mostafa on reception couldn't have been more helpful and we finally got the room we had paid for. This was my first visit to Egypt and I certainly wasn't disappointed! I thought the hotel was beautiful, the location great out of the hustle and bustle of Luxor, the facilities were good and the gardeners were working constantly to ensure the grounds were kept spotless. It was so amazing on the first night to walk through the hotel grounds and be able to look out over the Nile.

It was easy and cheap enough to get a taxi into Luxor and we also made use of the free shuttle bus and shuttle boat. The shuttle bus driver was extremely accommodating and would drop you off where you need in Luxor.

The food was good, meals on an evening were lovely with special thanks to chef Ahmed who makes the best tomato and garlic pasta. Lunchtime meals were good in the first week with a lovely location in the poolside restaurant but I was slightly disappointed with the lunch in the second week as the poolside restaurant was being renovated and lunches were served inside in the main restaurant. The choice at lunch in the second week was disappointing however I only had to ask and the chef made me some lovely spicy chicken breast.

The bar areas are nice especially the Sundowner ( a little chilled music would improve the atmosphere) and Mahmood (Denzel) is a credit to the hotel. Carters bar is nice but can get a little crowded and could do with some variation in the entertainment. I would also like to thank the bar and restaurant manager Imed, waiters Badry and Terry, Lifeguard Mohammed, Yaseen from the leisure complex, Hussein from Carters and Amer from the pool bar for making us so welcome and looking after us so well.

We dined in the a la carte restaurant on my birthday and I was given a beautiful birthday cake. I never felt like a second class citizen because I was all inclusive and can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leeloo1803
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

Gamal Hassan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Me (Nefertiti as named by the hotel staff!) and my boyfriend (mr.tattoo man!) stayed at the Sofitel Karnak for two weeks from the 12th June. I've always been fascinated with Egypt so my expectations was high and I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.
The Hotel: The hotel is positioned just outside of Luxor, 30 mins from the airport, so it's nice and quiet but near enough to go and see the sights. We stayed in a standard room which was perfectly satisfactory for our needs, air con and everything worked, even some English channels whiched played films every night which we enjoyed and a little balcony over looking beautifully maintained gardens.
The food was brilliant, I don't know how people can complain about the food, the Sous Chef Ahmed more than looked after me and Glenn by filling our plates up with steak, chicken, fish, lamb, beef... the waiting staff were always there to greet and attended to our every need, the staff are fantastic at reading body language - on one occassion Glenn was in need of a toothpick and without even saying anything a waiter was right there with a minted toothpick in hand! brilliant. Drinks were always refilled normally before they were even half empty.
We can't praise the staff enough, we felt like we became part of the Sofitel's family - everyone was brill, a few special mentions to Terry especially in the Karnack Restaurant outside, this man is the best waiter! He was consistant with his brilliant service with every customer, always polite and interested in making conversation with guests. He deserves a raise he was basically running the restaurant!
The lifeguards were brilliant always ensured the pool was kept clean and well maintained, put us clean towels on our sunbeds everyday and made sure everything was good with us :)
Mostafa at the pool bar was lovely, brought us drinks over to us by the pool. And im not sure of his name but i think he was the deputy manager, made me feel like a celeb always calling me princess and bowing to me, was really funny but just made it feel that bit more special.
Also a special mention to our cleaner Abeed - who made us fantastic towel art on our bed and left me fresh flowers on my bed side table :) he works really hard, as do all the staff there and for such little money and they do it with a big smile on there face. We will definatly be returning to this hotel next year and look forward to seeing everyone again :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CallyGlenn

Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client’s feedback.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently returned to the Sofitel Hotel - no other hotel will do for me. Once again, I received the same friendly welcome on my arrival and enjoyed a great stay where I had chance to unwind and recharge my batteries. I am never disappointed with the hotel itself or the kind and helpful staff who only want to make your stay as good as it possibly can. If I did have a problem, just chatting to the staff about it soon saw it being dealt with. I never let anything spoil my holiday at this fantastic hotel. I will be back in July!!

Thank you to everyone for a fabulous holiday - it was nice to see the Manager, Mr Hassan Fahny again too, who always has time to talk to the guests.

Room Tip: It depends on what people want; I had a ground floor room with a garden view which was lovely. At an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

As a valuable and precious repeater guest, I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor another time to spend your recent holiday and considering the hotel as your 02nd home .

We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Once again many thanks for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you, assuring that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was fine but that is all. It was dated and the room we had needed a spruce up. There was a lack of electrical sockets and there was also no ironing facilities, as stated there would be on the website. When speaking to the reception staff it was clear that all inclusive basis was not wholly approved of and they continually told guests that on the last day all inc stopped at midday. This was untrue as it went on until 3 pm. If you want a drink after that then you have to pay. Ridiculous really, together with keeping the room late on the last day. £15 to keep the room until 5pm, that was fine for us but others were told they couldn't keep theirs on at all. Again mixed messages. Food was nice though lunch was always served in the same restaurant with the same bland menu. Desperately wanted a fresh menu each week at the least. Night time meals were great and the chefs were really friendly. Pool staff/Lifeguards were friendly and helpful as we're the bar staff.
All in all a pleasant though disappointing stay. Would stay there again but changes need to be made to ensure an excellent stay. The location was good, out of the hustle and bustle of main Luxor.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the trip advisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be at Sofitel Karnak with a lot of improvements as you expect.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really nice with a cracking pool area. Rooms are tired but let's be honest we only sleep in there.
The main problem that lets the hotel down is food & drink. I've been to 3rd world country's were its been better. Food was rarely hot (Luke warm) most of the time. Lunch was taken next to the pool and I find it incredible in this day & age that people are allowed to smoke during lunch. When I have pizza & chips I don't a expect fag ash as a topping. All sprits were of a poor quality with no aroma in any of the brandy's. located is to notch & I would recommend the hot air balloon. It was that good I did it twice. I paid £30 through the hotel were as Thomson wanted £70. Because of the poor food & drink. I wouldn't go back to this hotel. I must say though that all the staff were really nice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank David L

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Karnak Luxor. It is always a pleasure to receive the client's feedback, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests we will be able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I would recommend the Karnak Hotel to anybody who visits Luxor. Yes the rooms are a bit worn and could do with a lick of paint, but who cares...... your in one of the wonders of the world! The hotel itself is amazing, as is the pool and location. Taking many boat rides along the Nile it's the best looking hotel on the bank without a doubt. The food is excellent and the staff can not do enough for you and I mean everybody from the cleaners to the management I wish I could name then all but too many! Thank you Karnak for the most memorable holiday ever..... we will be back!

Final note. If you need transport, go see Abdul and Mr Crocodile.... brilliant guys who again will take you to places you would not normally see on booked excursions...... Tomb of Ay is a must!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple