“Great place”

Mercure Luxor Karnak
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A great hotel to stay in. Warm welcome from the staff, never too much to ask. Always helpful.
Restaurant and food with drinks very good. Never went hungry. Able to walk up the road to local market. People very friendly. Rooms were clean and changed linen regularly. Very relaxing place, didn't have to pay any extras. Tipping was needed. Weather was fantastic and thoroughly enjoyed Egypt would recommend

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juliet N
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Luxor Karnak

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have recently returned from my 9th trip to the Sofitel Karnak which was excellent as always. I came this time just to relax and as always was very well looked after by the excellent, friendly staff. Everyone, as always, was so helpful. As a single traveller I feel safer at this hotel than any other I have been to in different parts of the world, hence my reason for returning so many times. I don't have a single complaint about any aspect of the hotel although I do agree it needs some renovation to bring it up to 5 star standard. This I now know is happening as several blocks of rooms are at the moment under refurbishment. As for the staff - I would give them 10 stars.
I can't comment on the evening meals as I was booked on B & B only. The breakfast was as good as I needed it to be with plenty of choice and friendly service. My lunches in the Moorish cafe were very good and served always with a big smile.
The pool staff as always were very attentive to everyone, placing towels on sunbeds when required and keeping the whole area clean. Everyone of them impressed with their friendliness and good humour.

I wish that some tourists would respect the fact that they are in a muslim country and resist the temptation to sunbathe topless by the swimming pool. This is not only offensive to the pool staff but also to other tourists.
All in all a big thank you once again to everyone at Sofitel for another lovely holiday and I can't wait for my 10th visit.
I hope other tourists will not be afraid to come to Luxor - they need you there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Irenee66
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

As a valuable and precious repeater guest, I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor another time to spend your recent holiday and considering the hotel as your 02nd home .

We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards; and I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff.

Once again many thanks for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you, assuring that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sofitel Karnak in April, we had a lovely quiet, relaxing break in idyllic surroundings. Food choice was very good, always found something we liked. A little disappointed that we had to pay for fresh orange juice at breakfast time. Location was excellent, away from Luxor perfect for a quiet break. We only left the hotel to visit 'Valley of the kings' but I was distressed to see the obvious poverty affecting the area. I feel that if tourists weren't harassed so much by local traders they would buy more and ultimately help the local population. I would love to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client’s feedback.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very good food as ever, very friendly and helpful staff, most of which we now class as friends. Saddened by the fact that visitors are staying away from Egypt because of media coverage on recent events and this is having a dramatic knock on effect on ALL people in the tourist trade in Egypt. The weather is wonderful all year round, the sights are breathtaking, so much history to see or just relax. Please give it a try and give Egypt's economy a boost.

Room Tip: Up grade to a junior suite, well worth the money.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are greatly appreciate your comments made by your good self in the tripadvisor site and I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff to strive maitaining the highest quality of standards.

Once again many thank you, we are looking forward to welcoming you, assuring that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This as our second week of a two week holiday. The first week spent cruising the Nile was very busy with lots of early mornings and long days. This hotel was the opposite, a great place to relax in. It is situated in lovely gardens on the banks of the Nile and is kept beautifully clean by an army of staff. The hotel is spotless and the staff could not be more helpful or friendly.
The main restaurant is lovely and the the food really good with several choices including vegetarian which were suprisingly tasty (for a meat eater) and again, the staff could not be more helpful.
We did not stray far outside the Hotel as we had seen all the local sights whilst on the cruise, but one word of warning, the local tradesmen really do harass tourists almost to the point of persecution they will not take no for an answer the only way to deal with them is to not make eye contact and totally ignore them, I know it sounds rude but if you are not interested in doing a deal its the only way. Also make sure you check change given as they are prone to give a 50pts note in place of a 50EP note one worth 5p the other £5.
It is worth using the shop in the Hotel run by Samuel he may be a little more pricey than some of the markets but you will know that you are not buying rubbish or being short changed.
In conclusion, a lovely hotel in an interesting city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rod G
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Karnak after a week cruising the Nile and then 3 days in Cairo and it was an excellent chill out hotel. The gardens are lovely, right down to the Nile and special mention to the team of gardeners that were constantly maintaining them. The hotel itself is very nice but it is nowhere near a 5 star rating. The rooms are fine and clean but a bit dated and needing a refurbishment. The main restaurant (Opet) was buffet style for breakfast and dinner. The quality of food was OK but nothing special. We also tried the a la carte restaurant which was billed as steak house but found this to be a bit dissappointing. We ordered off the a la carte menu which we had to pay extra for but the food wasn't worth the extra money. We spoke to a number of people who ate from the set menu at no extra cost and they said this was OK.

The pool bar was really good for lunch.

The Sundowner bar which was an open air terrace was really nice for coffee and drinks late in the afternoon and evening.

The main bar inside the hotel was Carters bar and this wasn't such a great place to sit as smoking was allowed and there were no external terraces leading off the bar. The entertainment here (which was the only entertainment in the hotel) was a guy playing a keyboard and singing and this was pretty dire.

The hotel was quiet as were most places we visited during our holiday which was great.

We felt completely safe all the time we were in Egypt and the historical sites are world class.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David L

Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be at Sofitel Karnak with a lot of improvements as you expect.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

stayed for 1 week the last in september and it was quiet and staff was short but enough to go round.
Room was perfect clean and cleaners did a fab job everyday. Our cleaner Eneid Amed decorated our room with flowers and towel items... Very cute.

Food was excellent. Different every night which is great for an all inc as some hotels make the same everyday so this was fab being able to try different cuisines

The swimmingpool and area was cleaned everyday and the whole hotel was looked after by cleaners and gardners busying themselves all day.

The views over the Nile are amazing

All inclusive drinks are all good and I really want to go back

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank s7ac3y
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and assuring that we will keep maintaining our quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again in the nearest future at your 02nd home Sofitel Karnak-Luxor.