All reviews pavilion wing mr nabil corniche restaurant large balconies the main hotel west bank pool restaurant la corniche pool staff an oasis the gardens and pool area royal bar turn down service garden view pool side howard carter old cataract
Selected filters
Reviewed April 6, 2019

We'd only been away 6 weeks
If you want a modern Stainless steel & glass hotel with every electronic toy going, gym etc, you won't like this hotel. You might think it needs a complete revamp, but if it gets it, prices may rise as they did in the Old Cataract after its rebuild.
On the other hand, if you want a hotel where the staff will do their utmost to serve you, if you ask, and don’t want to pay a fortune, it’s the place for you.
You won’t get a Full-English breakfast, it’s nearer a European buffet style one, with an egg-chef who will fry/scramble/omelette to order. (And do Mrs eLaReF’s fresh pancakes)
The swimming pool staff will always find you a bed in the sun or the shade, whatever your preferences and provide the large towels they have available for all (No need to bring your own, or the room towels) The pool does have opening & closing times (sunset) which should be observed.
The pool was quiet generally in the mornings, getting busy as guests returned from their West Bank travels to the sites, ending up full by 16:00 on more than a few days.
My wife always feels sorry for housekeeping because I never tidy up after myself, but when we get back to our room, they have done so.
We use the laundry (So she isn’t doing it when we get home) a lot. It is relatively reasonable (I won’t say cheap) and very good with a choice of hangars or folded, so in our last week, it’s all folded for packing.
The internet is free and can be patchy, but it’s like everywhere in Egypt – Do not expect 60Mb/s download speeds!
As we arrive from Hurghada at 09:30, we always book an early check-in to save any problems, but we saw many guests sitting around having come off the overnight train from Cairo and expecting a room when the hotel was fully booked, so none were available. Check-in time is 15:00.
We had room service quite often since, being February, it was quite cool at night for wandering out to our usual local eateries. Could only praise the meals we had, but it was often just two bowls of soup & one shared main. Staying for so long, we can’t eat breakfast, lunch & dinner that often, especially since we are on a low-carb regime to lose weight. By now the waiters and those staff members on the end of the room service phone were telling us ‘No Fries, No Bread, No Butter’. Actually, the butter’s OK, we just can’t have anything to put it on!
Already booked for our next stay.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2019

Stayed for 1 week, at the pavilion wing. Rooms lovely , spacious and comfortable, the place does look a little tired in places but adds to the charm. Food was ok. Poolside restaurant, pizza's are delicious. All staff attentive . Enjoyable stay. Would stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed March 16, 2019 via mobile

We stayed in the Winter Pavillon, which is behind the Winter Palace Hotel and part of the complex. The staff are very helpful and although our check out was at 12 noon they found a room we could use until 3pm - we were due to board our cruise boat at 7pm so the extra hours in the hotel were important.
Our room was large enough, very clean with a reasonable sized bathroom with bath and very good shower.
Breakfast is buffet style with a terrace overlooking the gardens. This can get crowded and we had to use the inside restaurant when we could not find a terrace table. A chef is on duty to cook your eggs to perfection how you want.
The pool area is everything you need. Lovely warm pool with sun-loungers, towels, shade and a restaurant overlooking everything. We had lunch here - the menu is quite extensive and they have a daily special.
Dinner can be had in the restaurants in the Winter Palace. We did not try these but they looked good, if a little pricy.
All in all we would recommend the Winter Pavillon as a comfortable and well organised hotel.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2019

No gym available in the hotel (Pavillon and Winter Palace) After I complained about it, the manager "offered" me to use Hilton's gym, (5 miles away)...for 30$ a day!!! When I told him this solution is not acceptable and that I will post a bad review, he decided to go ahead, accused me to smoke weed in my room & not allowing my friend to pay a day-use for the swimming pool, when half of the seats was free. This is a pity to face such a bad management because the hotel itself is ok: nice pool and garden, suite room ok. I'll rather stay at Hilton next year, as I did before.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed February 28, 2019

Checked in and, apparently there was something wrong with assigned room (small AIA tour group). Given 358. Large room with view of Kitchen roof....Room Very hot. No bathrobe, toiletries, Kleenex, etc. I called Housekeeping for missing items. Unpacked and assumed (never assume) room would cool off. (Heard what sounded like a fan bearing issue with AC). Room still hot (30C, 90F) after 3 hours. Asked to be changed at front desk and told fully booked, nothing available. I would be given a fan! After insistence....shown Standard/Classic Nile View room (street side...noisy). Eventually ended up downgrading to Standard or Classic Nile View room 333 because of the AC issue. Pretty room...much smaller....not even a luggage rack and traffic noises, horns sirens all night long. AIA books Luxury Garden View rooms because of noise issue. Meanwhile other members of my 10 person tour group had the Luxury Garden View rooms with balconies, nespresso makers, etc. There is a substantial size and price difference between Luxury and Classic or Standard Rooms. 100-200 USD per night. Meanwhile, Reception kept assuring me that 358 was a very nice room but would dodge my question as to whether it was, in fact, a Deluxe Garden View room. They DID confirm that 333 was NOT a Luxury room. The bellman who assisted me told me that 358 was a very bad room. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, the good and the bad. This has been a very negative experience. I will lodge a complaint with AIA and Sofitel, as well. AIA (and ultimately myself) deserve a substantial refund for the change in booking status. I attach a photo of the view from 358....a room that costs 700 USD per night. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Trip type: Traveled solo