“Excellent Value - not 5 star but still highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pavillon Winter Luxor

Pavillon Winter Luxor
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Island of Malta, Malta
“Excellent Value - not 5 star but still highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked quite late via Hotels4U.com & secured a good half board rate. We are not first timers to Luxor and were slightly nervous about the choice, although we knew this 'annex' shared the fantastic gardens of the Winter Palace. We had stayed at the Sheraton previously with its great river frontage but the cost here won us over this time.

I had made contact ahead of the arrival with Guest Relations but we were incorrectly assigned a twin room and had to stay there the first night. This is always unsettling. That said a wonderful member of the reception team assisted us with a room swap. His customer service and politeness are second to none (Mr Oraby, a big well done).

Breakfast was good on a lovely sunny terrace with a lush garden view. The staff were attentive and professional.

We were most surprised to find our half board meals were to be taken in the Winter Palace itself, the Corniche restaurant. This was a real treat, gentile and quirky which suited us to the ground. We also used the Royal Bar too. This certainly added a great dynamic to our week long stay.

The pool area is truly lovely but the pool is currently unheated (fuel shortage) and therefore very cool. Nobody will mention this when booking and the hotel website is incorrect.

Our room was a little tired but 'felt great' which after all is the most important factor. Tea and coffee making facilities are not available but you can request a kettle. We bought our supplies from the UK but there were no cups..........all these small details of course impact on experience. Tipping seems to secure ongoing toiletries.

If you stay here, do use the back gate of the site which takes you directly to a bustling non-hassle area with a good supermarket, Ragab Sons...There is the real Luxor to experience here and we felt truly safe. It's simply great fun although can be overwhelming at first.

We hope to return to this hotel as it was such a lovely week. Keep the prices competitive, please Mr. Sofitel.

Room Tip: High floors are much better, probably in the low numbers e.g. 3001-3008, 4001-4008 & 5001-5008...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank XaghraDream

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The Pavilion is the modern annexe to the stately Winter Palace Hotel. As other reviews have said the gardens are truly magnificent with a wonderful pool area (though it is no longer heated and was surprisingly 'fresh' bearing in mind outside temperatures in their 30s.). The hotel itself is a wonderful reminder of the grand hotels of the past and the public areas are both sumptuous and immaculate.
As for the Pavillion, the rooms are spacious and modern with large full bathrooms. Powerful shower, plenty of hot water and spotlessly clean. The bed was large and very comfortable. And the air conditioning works very well. The staff are ally both friendly and helpful.
So what's the "but"? Well we paid very little bearing in mind the quality of the hotel. So economies have been made. There is no free wifi in the Pavillion. It is available in the hotel lobby and sometime by the pool. The breakfast offering would shame a budget hotel in Benidorm though the coffee was excellent and generously provided And the "orange juice" was sweetened orange flavoured water. I wouldn't expect fresh squeezed juice but surely they could do better.
These niggles notwithstanding, I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Luxor. Strongly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David H
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am sorry this entry is a little late, however... we stayed over the New Year in the Pavilion section of this wonderful hotel. We, (my daughter, my wife and I ) had a joining rooms on the 4th Floor over looking the wonderful gardens. The rooms were superb, we could not have asked for more. each and every member of staff really went out of their way to ensure we had a relaxing holiday.
I will never forget the feeling of breakfast.. it was something to behold... sitting outside on the patio enjoying the fresh coffee in the warm morning sunshine, and the warm evenings sitting on our balcony after our superb room service dinner watching the sun set. Ahhhhhhhhh I can see it now. Everything was so special, my daughter swimming up and down the pool endlessly in the heat of the day 30 degrees C. and lunch by the pool side and smelling the freshly baked bread all truly memorable. Thank to you all at this beautiful hotel for allowing all us to enjoy and share your fabulous country. We shall return one day in the future to once again to wallow in the Luxury that is "The Winter Palace Hotel Luxor"

Room Tip: Pavilion Wing Floors 4 or 5 overlooking the garden!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Estelle1998
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in Winter Palace Pavilion for 2 days, and returned to the hotel a day later after a trip to Abu Simbel. After my first check out I forgot one of my mobile phones in the room. It's an old phone but my SIM card was inside and the phone was given by a friend to use it abroad. When I returned I asked at the reception to be returned to me, however they told me that nothing was found in my room. I checked my bag again although I knew it wasn't with me. The reception told me that never something like this has happened until then, however I'm positive that my phone was found by the hotel staff and not returned to the Lost and found hotel's department. This is unacceptable from a hotel such as Sofitel. I travelled around the world, I saw a lot of poor people and I understand poor life and the need for a job, this is why I don't give reviews if something doesn't go well with a hotel or a tour, however stealing I don't tolerate. This is why I write this review now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Claudiacgc
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at the winter palace for 5 days in Luxor.

Best thing about it is the location. It's very close to Luxor and Karnak temples, within walking distance to the souk and McDonalds, and a short kalesh trip away from the restaurants dotted around the east bank. They've got Thomas cook exchange nearby ( with competitive rates) and also a good tourist operator who was very helpful and reasonable when it came to the prices. There is also Egypt Air office next door, which proved useful as we where able to change our flights to accommodate Cairo into our plans.

You can also take advantage of the gardens and facilities it shares with the sofitel winter palace including the pool, sheesha bar.

Rooms are clean and tidy with lovely views from the balcony. Staff are friendly. Breakfast buffet had a nice spread.

Luxor itself was fantastic, we went to all the sights. Highlights were karnak temple and balloon trip.

Have to be patient with the Egyptian people, have suffered with low tourism and do tend to badger at every opportunity for tourist excursions, taxis etc.

In terms of food, it was generally lovely. The best restaurant was a place place called Chez Omar, we stumbled onto it after meandering through the "tourist" souk into the locals "souk". IF you ever get there, make sure you order the kofte kebab.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank figment38
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very professional and welcoming staff ! Excellent rooms!! Great breakfast. The best location in town. obviously well managed. The gardens are just wonderful. The pool area and pool staff are great. I will certainly return to this hotel. They make you feel special!!!!! Its just an amazing place to be! Massage service is fist class - but there was no multi Gym that I could find. However- Id still return to the hotel because of its friendly and professional service.

Room Tip: Well-- Id say just go there and experience. It is a great place to be for several days!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo