We stayed at the winter palace for 5 days in Luxor.
Best thing about it is the location. It's very close to Luxor and Karnak temples, within walking distance to the souk and McDonalds, and a short kalesh trip away from the restaurants dotted around the east bank. They've got Thomas cook exchange nearby ( with competitive rates) and also a good tourist operator who was very helpful and reasonable when it came to the prices. There is also Egypt Air office next door, which proved useful as we where able to change our flights to accommodate Cairo into our plans.
You can also take advantage of the gardens and facilities it shares with the sofitel winter palace including the pool, sheesha bar.
Rooms are clean and tidy with lovely views from the balcony. Staff are friendly. Breakfast buffet had a nice spread.
Luxor itself was fantastic, we went to all the sights. Highlights were karnak temple and balloon trip.
Have to be patient with the Egyptian people, have suffered with low tourism and do tend to badger at every opportunity for tourist excursions, taxis etc.
In terms of food, it was generally lovely. The best restaurant was a place place called Chez Omar, we stumbled onto it after meandering through the "tourist" souk into the locals "souk". IF you ever get there, make sure you order the kofte kebab.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the banks of the River Nile in the midst of a tropical garden in the city centre, near the luxor Temple and other attractions such as the Karnak Temple, the Luxor museum, the International Convention Centre and the Mummification Museum. The Pavillon Winter Palace features three restaurants, two bars and a swimming pool. We apologize for any inconvenience that may occur due to the construction work taking place nearby the hotel as of June 14 th 2008 for a period of 6 months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Prestigia, ACCOR, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pavillon Winter Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Pavillon Winter Hotel Luxor
- Luxor Pavillon Winter Hotel
- New Winter Palace Luxor
- Luxor Sofitel
- Winter Palace Hotel Luxor