WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Northwich, United Kingdom
“the best in luxor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have just returned from our 16th visit to our 2nd home Winter Palace Pavillion, no matter who you are, you are always made welcome, the staff are amazing people who think nothing of going out of their way to make your holiday the best it can be. The rooms are great, again with wonderful veiws, especially over the Nile at sunset, there is never any trouble of any description, if there is a problem it gets hot!!so be aware if you intend to travel June/August. excellent value all round.

Room Tip: the garden are some of the best we have seen, if you want peace and quiet,choose a garden room
1 Thank Raymond S
Osayed, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback - especially in regards to our team. Those comments are a great motivation for the whole team. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at your second home the Pavillon Winter hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the close future.
Kind regards,
Mahmoud Fathi
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We just return from winter palace we really enjoyed our stay. I stay with my wife and kid.Great location, we got a very nice room with Nile river view. The food and service was excellent. Especially big thanks to Mr. Salah. Thank you very much for your great service. Definitely we will back again to this wonderful palace

Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Kannan S
Dear guests, thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleague. We are looking forward to welcome you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Kind regards,
Mahmoud Fathi
Front Office Manager
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed in Winter Palace Pavilion for 2 days, and returned to the hotel a day later after a trip to Abu Simbel. After my first check out I forgot one of my mobile phones in the room. It's an old phone but my SIM card was inside and the phone was given by a friend to use it abroad. When I returned I asked at the reception to be returned to me, however they told me that nothing was found in my room. I checked my bag again although I knew it wasn't with me. The reception told me that never something like this has happened until then, however I'm positive that my phone was found by the hotel staff and not returned to the Lost and found hotel's department. This is unacceptable from a hotel such as Sofitel. I travelled around the world, I saw a lot of poor people and I understand poor life and the need for a job, this is why I don't give reviews if something doesn't go well with a hotel or a tour, however stealing I don't tolerate. This is why I write this review now.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Claudiacgc
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had booked the Pavillon Winter for our 7 day stay in Luxor. On arrival we were upgraded to the Winter Palace where we were warmly welcomed by Ahmed Oraby with a glass of karakadey (traditional hibiscus juice). All staff members were always very polite, friendly and helpful. The hotel is fantastically located very near Luxor temple and the Souk. It is very clean, has very beautiful gardens and a plentiful and varied breakfast buffet . Only negative is heating system in our room did not work properly but we didn’t tell anyone so we could not expect to have it fixed. Very positive, the bathroom has a bidet. On our 40 day tour of Egypt and Greece we stayed in many 3, 4 and 5 star hotels and only three of them had a bidet in the bathroom.
We found Winter Palace very good value for money as we got an upgrade from Pavillon Winter at no extra cost.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the garden, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Old Winter Palace sadly does not live up to expectations and is in desperate need of money being spent to save it and return it to its former glory and reputation. Public rooms are elegant and spacious but furnishings need repair; food is good but not exceptional and very expensive if you choose the 1886 Restaurant also extremely slow. Bedrooms are small and bathrooms need updating [the shower only produced a dribble of water]. The gardens are still beautiful.

Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comments in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have recently returned from a relaxing stay at the Winter Palace This is our 3rd visit and we found the hotel and garden as lovely as ever and the staff as accommodating and pleasant. One problem - the pool was too cold for all but the most hardy of souls. It remained empty for most of our stay. Despite our protestations, the hotel insisted the problem was out of their control.

The hotel seemed quite busy despite the downturn in tourism in the area. Breakfast is a delight - sitting on the terrace, watching the hod-hod birds pecking the newly mown lawn in search of their early morning snack.

We find the evening meal overpriced and so chose eat at the many excellent restaurants in Downtown Luxor. We would be happy to patronise the hotel restaurants, but both the Corniche and 1886 restaurant need to improve and price the menus more competitively.

Despite these niggles, we do intend to return to this warm and welcoming hotel - it really does feel like the worries of the world are lifted off you shoulders as you enter the swing door into the magnificent lobby to be greeted with the words 'welcome home' by the most genial of Managers who represents the old- world charm of this grand hotel.

1 Thank andrew w
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the pool in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I had a most enjoyable stay at the Winter Palace Luxor. We particularly enjoyed the comfortable ambience of a bygone era in the rooms along with the casual luxury of the gardens and outdoor amenities. Randa was a most pleasant and helpful person at the reception desk.

1 Thank SpoiledForChoice
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleague.