“My letter to the general manager”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Dear Mr. Kahil, 12/13/12

Thank you very much for the nice welcoming note and upgrade to the Royal Suite (Rm 343)..I have had a wonderful 5-day adventure in Luxor, seeing ALL the major sights
and enjoying your hotel particularly breakfast, garden with fountain, trees, and birds,
and especially your team most notably Monia in guest relations and my day maid
(Baghdadia Hussien).

I have stayed at all three Grand Touring Hotels of Egypt, and yours is the only one that employs women - Good for you!

Everett Daly

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank EverettDaly

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We spent one night here before we started a Nile cruise. Such an impressive building and very romantic. We had a free upgrade which was lovely on our honeymoon. We ate in the restaurant which was very quiet but the food was nice and it was romantic for us. There was a musician playing the guitar who was fantastic. The next day we had a far too short walk around the gardens and pools and wished we could stay longer! Very poirot very glam and very special

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Clairek2
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I returned last Monday from three wonderful weeks at this hotel. I originally booked the Pavillon wing, but was very, very lucky to be upgraded to the Old Winter Palace. For my travelling companion, this was something that had been very high on her 'wish' list, but never thought would be achieved!

I have been coming to the Pavillon since 2000 and I am never disappointed with the service provided by all the staff (nothing is ever too much trouble). This is why I call the hotel and staff my second 'home' and 'family'.

There were many dignatories staying at the OWP, to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb (Lord and Lady Canarvon and many foreign Ambassadors), so this all added to the general excitement.

Sadly, for Luxor, tourism is only 30% of what it should be at this time of 'high' season, so I would say to anyone thinking of holidaying in Egypt - COME TO LUXOR (and to this hotel - it could not be more central to the temples and museums on the East Bank)! All is very calm there and the people are suffering from lack of business and would welcome everyone (though not without hassle, but it is out of desperation, not maliciousness).

Although I have only been back a few days, I am already looking forward to my next holiday in Luxor for the month of March 2013. Egypt is in my blood and I have to keep returning - for the people, monuments, tombs and history and in no small part the Old Winter Palace and Pavillon hotels!

Room Tip: If staying in the Old Winter Palace Hotel, rooms with a garden view tend to be larger and certainly...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank EgyptianQueen01
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had booked the Pavillion which is in the grounds of The Winter Palace, but were upgraded to The Winter Palace. There is something very special about this hotel in an excellent central location. It was built in 1886 and todate it still feels very grand as you walk up the stairway to the front of the hotel. The Royal Suite and Lord Carnarvon Suite were just a few doors away from our room at the front of the hotel.The staff were very helpful and courteous. There are beautiful gardens and swimming pool to the rear of the hotel (these facilities are shared with the Pavillion). There are 2 restaurants, one of which you guys have to wear collar/tie. The breakfast was brilliant, so much choice. We had afternoon tea one day and this was well worth the £15 approx., each we paid. Plenty of tea to drink, sandwichs, cakes and scones. I have stayed in Luxor many times and the only thing you wont change is the hassle you get once you step outside the hotel, although I expected worse this time and to be honest I didn't think it was any worse than previous. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, a visit to see the gardens and sit and have lunch/drink round the pool is well worth it, it is so peaceful, so different to the chaos at the front, although we had a room overlooking The Nile at the front of the hotel and you soon get used to the noise and accept it as everyday life in Luxor. A wonderful place to visit and a wonderful hotel. Take a visit - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: If you don't mind the noise a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Nile is interesting...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bambi4950
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 11 days here and loved every one of them. The staff were attentive, the facilities excellent and the location, perfect. It had the added pleasure of being an older hotel, with grand rooms and a strong sense of its history. We used as many of its facilities as we could, and we really appreciated the humour and the dedication of all of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill476
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had booked to stay at the Pavillion which is in the grounds of this hotel, and would have been perfectly happy with that as you get to use the main hotel facilities too, but were upgraded to the Winter Palace old building. What an amazing experience! This is the hotel where Agatha Christie and Noel Coward, etc. stayed, and has really retained it's colonial charm. Our Nile view was something to behold. We felt like royalty! The only thing I would say is that if you're susceptible to noise, a garden view room might be better as the constant car horns were noisy around the front. The garden is simply beautiful, a real haven in the middle of the chaos that is Luxor! We went to the bar and Victorian lounge every evening and soaked up the ambience. The room service and breakfast was also very good. The staff were attentive and very concerned as my husband had a cold when we arrived, and arranged for us to have a kettle in our room. Loved it, and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Garden view for a quieter room, nile view is lovely but noisier!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank McExpat18
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Karnak, because of its location, but decided to take afternoon tea at its sister hotel, and arranged to meet some friends who happened to be in Luxor at the same time. The foyer was imposing and the numerous staff on duty were both friendly and helpful. Before tea we took a short walk in the gardens at the rear of the hotel. The formal gardens were excellently maintained, beautifully coordinated and very peaceful, a most pleasant spot and quite unexpected as the hotel is situated in a very busy part of Luxor.
The lounge area where the afternoon tea was served was quite plush with deep lounge suites, highly polished tables and dimly lit lamps, all in all a room with plenty of atmosphere.
The maitre d’ and waiter brought over the menu for the tea and listed the varieties of tea that were available. The tea was brought in two large cast metal teapots and the food was brought out on two 3-tier trays. The top tray contained scones , pots of jam and clotted cream, the second tier contained four or five different small open sandwiches or rolls each and the bottom tier had small exquisite cakes and puddings. The food was delicately and beautifully presented and was very tasty too. The tea was replenished upon request, without question, and we were there for two hours in total.
Although at first sight the quantity did not look huge, it was certainly filling. I only had a bowl of soup for supper when we returned to our hotel, but my husband was more hungry than me and ate a more substantial meal.
The cost of the excellent afternoon tea was only fifteen pounds sterling per person, which is very good when compared to a hotel of equal quality in London.
A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends