“great location”
Review of El Mesala Hotel

El Mesala Hotel
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel is 2 steps away from the ferry dock and has great views from its terrace of both the nile and the mountains. I have read other reviews but I must disagree with some of them: the hotel was immaculate when we stayed there. The floors were constantly cleaned throughout the building.
the pool was great and we couldnt have survived Luxor without it. The staff were really helpful. I disagree with calling them "odd"- they are Egyptians, and that's the way they are everywhere in Egypt. You have to accept that they wont behave the way westerners are used to, but that is the beauty of having holidays in a place like this. Yet the hotel was clean to western standards- if there's such a thing- and they were always kind and respectful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank titotiratorta

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great location, right on the Nile, 5 minutes from the cheap local ferry (an experience not to be missed), or 30 seconds from a very cheap motor boat ride across to the East Bank. Nice little hotel, get a front room with a balcony view of the Nile. Room was clean, only complaint would be the shower curtain, which guaranteed you would get water all over the bathroom floor. Rather odd cleaning service - one day came back and found my pyjamas arranged rather strangely over the swan-sculpture towel, another day found my bra, which I had left draped over the sink, hung up in all its glory stretched across the towel rack and on full display!

Also, we found the manager rather odd. On arrival, he took us up to the restaurant for a welcome drink, and then sat and drank with us. We were rather tired after a long day, and didn't welcome his lecture about the unfairness of U.S. citizens being allowed to travel freely in Egypt, but Egyptians not being able to get visas for the U.S. I suppose I would agree with him, but not what we wanted to discuss with him at that particular moment. Also, when we checked out, which he wanted us to do the day BEFORE we left (most unusual!), we did not leave a tip at that time, preferring to tip as we actually leave a hotel. He made a big deal of writing "NO TIP" in big black letters at the top of our bill. I did tip when we left the next morning, but he was not around to see it. I found his behavior most insulting and strange. Most other people seem to have found the staff quite charming, so perhaps we were alone in our experience of the manager.

Besides all that, the pool was a godsend. After a hot sweaty morning at the Valley of the Kings, it was pure heaven to come back to the pool with a drink and a book.

The restaurant was very boring and disappointing - not much that we consider edible, and we are NOT picky eaters. Just got tired of the same old things, always with chips. We ate in the evenings at the hotel next door, - much more exciting choice of food.

Room Tip: get one at the front with a view of the nile
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsay H
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days with our 3 children. I am so glad we stayed at this hotel, We had a very warm welcome. Our rooms were lovely, spacious and clean. the pool is perfect to relax in after sight seeing. The staff were so friendly it felt like a home from home and as others have said nothing is too much trouble. Being a small family run hotel we got to know the owners well and learn more about the country from them. The views from the roof top restaurant are the best in the West Bank. You have luxor temple directly opposite, across the Nile and the valley of the Queens behind which is lit up at night. I would highly recommend emailing the hotel to arrange a taxi to meet you at the airport. This will life easier when you arrive. Would love to return to Luxor and would definitely stay at the Hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank saluk316
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stay here. It costs a fraction of the price of the big foreign-owned hotels and worked perfectly. I stayed in a river-front room with a great view and big balcony. It's a quick ferry ride across to Luxor and I loved leaving Luxor behind to return to the hotel. (Luxor is more a big, gray city than a town.) My room was perfectly clean. Only negative is that the Wifi isn't great but it works (there were Wifi inconsistencies in every hotel in Egypt outside of Cairo). Opt for a river-front room. I saw a partial view room which had only a bit of a view from a corner of the balcony. I'll be back.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ralexander
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We mostly enjoyed our stay at this hotel - loved the location on the West Bank of the Nile. Perhaps because the hotel and pool are relatively small we found it to be very friendly and our son seemed to find lots of playmates.
We had a really large room but I agree with the previous reviewer who said that the rooms could do with a clean. Our carpet was really grubby and so was the one on the back staircase. I would suggest that they don't bother with rugs in the bedrooms at all as they appear to be tricky to clean.
Breakfast was basic but fine. We didn't eat in the restaurant as they didn't seem to have any vegetarian main courses.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bod75
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had booked this hotel by e-mail based on other Trip Advisor recommendations. I had pre-arranged a taxi pickup at the Luxor train station, but when I got there I was greeted by a man with no sign or identification. My pickup service involved me walking (with two bags) the 500 meters to the river, then taking a boat across to the west bank, then walking to the hotel. The refrigerator in my room had left over fruit in it, which smelled horribly. In the bathroom, the shower spray handle mount was broken, meaning I had to take one-handed showers. The shower curtain was useless, which resulted in a very slippery bathroom floor. On the plus side, there was very good hot water and pressure. Room decor is basic and beds are of average comfort. Hotel is located close to town and the public ferry dock and street noise is minimal. Front desk is often unattended. The pool and lounge area is very nice, and makes a great break from the heat of taking in the sights in Luxor. There was a smell of bug spray mixed with incense in the lobby. Skip the upstairs restaurant: service is slow, both at breakfast and dinner. I waited an hour for a barely warm kebab with rice. Prices are in line with other places. They have a live band at night, which is fairly loud. Overall, good location and pool, but offset by poor service and room quality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Upon arrival at this hotel which is located on the west bank, we were greeted warmly with a welcome drink of freshly squeezed juice made to order. It is wonderfully located right in front of the Nile river very close to the ferry to take you to the East bank ( though for 5 LE we were able to take a speed boat. The ferry is 1 LE per person. The staff, manager and owner were beyond warm, welcoming and helpful, which is what really made our stay here a wonderful one.

We arrived in the morning and they very nicely let us check in early at no extra cost. We stayed 3 nights in the family room which was very large and spacious. 2 large bedrooms, a kitchen ( in need of some minor repairs), living/dining room and bathroom. The only issue we had ( as did our friends we were travelling with), was the rooms were not exactly the cleanest. The walls and floors were in dire need of a really good cleaning, as were the rugs in the halls. However our beds and sheets were clean. Price for the rooms here was extremely reasonable.

There is a small spotlessly clean pool and they provide clean towels free for use at the pool which was a nice touch.

We ate supper here 2 nights and the food was very tasty. Breakfast was included and pretty basic with a fried egg, yogurt, fruit, cheese but was sufficient for us.

I would recommend this place to others, provided you aren't expecting squeeky clean floors and walls. The staff was probably some of the best we encountered on our trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family