Lowest prices for your stay
$30
$34
Get rewarded with One Key
Vio.com
$21
Breakfast included
All reviews rooftop restaurant west bank luxor temple family suite tiny shower booked nights egyptian breakfast sleeper train from cairo ferry dock yogurt great views of the nile little things an update water pressure banana island restaurant staff west side
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hi Everyone at Mesala!

It’s me James from England, I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to review your hotel but I’ve been sooo busy at work!!

Anyway, Ok, If you want to stay in a traditional, clean, extremely friendly hotel this one’s for you!

It’s been 27 years since I’d been on holiday and it was my first visit to Egypt (something I’ve been wanting to do for over 20 years now!)

I booked at the Mesala because I’d read lots of good reviews about the place on here and decided I’d try it for my first trip abroad alone. I was met at the airport very late at night by a taxi sent by the hotel and had a wonderful trip around the east bank discovering the organised chaos that is driving in Egypt before arriving at the hotel! The first night I was there the air conditioning had stopped working but as the temperature at night in Egypt in November is a pleasant 20’c I wasn’t too uncofortable. After mentioning it the following morning it was duly fixed by mid morning and I had no further problems with it at all.

The one thing I worried about most was eating and drinking whilst in Egypt, and I even had a spare week off work after I got back home just in case I got the dreaded Pharaoh's revenge! I had most of my meals at the hotel which has a delightfully quiet restaurant on top over looking the Nile to the east and the Theban hills to the west. Not only were the meals delicious (Thanks' CC!) but I never got the run’s, not once!!

Another good place I discovered to eat is the Blue Sky restaurant run by Mohamed, just go out of the hotel turn right down the street and it’s 100 yards on the right with a garden overlooking the nile on the left. Again food is amazing, hot, tasty and I personally recommend Mohamed's fresh Lemon juice!! Also on the same stretch of road is a small supermarket where you can buy all the bottled water, snacks and supplies you need.

Back at the hotel, all the staff from the guy’s who clean your room to the hotels managers are absolutely amazing. Genuinely friendly which as I found to be an Egyptian trade mark. Watch out for Hazel she’s the Mesala’s unofficial secretary who pop’s in to help out with the computers and booking. She can be found in the lobby most mornings and has a wealth of knowlage and can point you in the right direction should you need it.

My room was 203 and it was fantastic, it’s on the right hand side of the hotel on the second floor and has amazing views over the Nile and Luxor Temple! Bed’s are made every day and I never saw any dirt, bad smells or insects. The bathroom has a shower, sink and toilet all of which are kept spotlessly clean and made it a pleasure to return to after a hard day exploring the sites! The hotel is a great launch pad for all the west bank sites by the way which are easily reached by taxi (or hire a push bike like I did for the week, the hotel can arrange that for you)

Something I’ve not seen anyone mention when talking about the Mesala which I really did notice is the abundance of wildlife you can see from the hotel! I saw Kingfishers, HUGE dragon flies countless other birds and I even had a falcon fly past me as I ate my meal on the roof, I doubt you’d get that on the East Bank!

I did spent a little time over on the East Bank (The Dark Side as I call it) and I have to admit it’s very Vegas, with it’s five star hotels and all the glitz and glitter, I couldn’t wait to get the ferry back over the Nile to the REAL Egypt.

I could go on for hours telling you about how good my stay was in the Hotel Mesala but I think you get the idea.

If your an independent traveller or a family just looking to get away from the usual scrum of the east bank you’ll find it hard to beat the Mesala!

And yes, I’m going back this year, and this time I’m taking family!

James, Sheffield, England.

Room tip: Try and get a room over looking the Nile, I was in 203 but there are rooms above this where the views will be even better!
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I chose this hotel as it was good value and well-located on the West Bank of Luxor. The hotel is of a high standard if compared to Egyption standards in that the rooms are a good size and are very clean. However, this hotel provides fairly basic rooms so if you want some luxury then you need to stay at the Hilton in Luxor or one of the other international chain hotels. The room was noisy as I was on the top floor below the restaurant and I had a Nile view, so the first night I was there I had to get used to the noise coming from the restaurant and the bustle of the street outside. However, the noise reduced by about 11pm. I took ear plugs with me and I used them as it is possible to hear the reception phone and people walking up the stairs in the room, so if you are sensitive to noise then this hotel is not for you. My bathroom was clean but had a smell of drainage (I saw some of the other bathrooms in the place and they were not like that). On the upside I had a balcony with a Nile view and could sit there everyday and watch the comings and goings of the tourists visiting the West Bank. The other upside to this hotel is that it is easy to find (once you have crossed the Nile on the ferry boat, just turn left and walk along the river bank for about 5 minutes and the hotel is to your right). You can have breakfast on the roof terrace and watch the Nile too. There is a supermaket nearby and the ferry boat costs EGP£1 to cross one way so the hotel was very good value for money. The West Bank is also quieter than the East Bank so I had a relatively peaceful stay at this place. If you have money to spend then you may not want to stay here, but as I was on a budget and a solo traveller, this place was ideal for my purposes

Room tip: Do not stay on the third floor.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Yasminka21
ElMesalaHotel, Owner at El Mesala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. We have taken note of your comments regarding the bathroom and we are looking into any possible reasons why this would be happening.
Please accept our apologies for this
We are happy that you did enjoy your stay and we do hope that we will see you again

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in December.
The good points:

It is a small hotel
Staff are very attentive
Well situated, close to ferry & taxi boats
View over the Nile and Luxor temple
Small Swimming pool

Minus
Room was not cleaned everyday.
Only one medium size towel each for 2 days.
Dirty bath mat taken away but not replaced.
Believe the pillow cases may not have been changed on arrival.

This hotel is situated at the end of a main road. So it is somewhat noisy with car and motorbike traffic in the evening. Locals chatting outside.
Buses and coaches tend to park nearby for tourist trips to West bank sights. There is also a small group of camels nearby.
This makes for a lively/typical environment which is nice but had its draw backs should you want peace and quiet.

Roof terrace has nice views of the Nile and the breakfast and other meals are good but not the best in the area.

Nearby shops do not really qualify as supermarkets, more small groceries shops.

Date of stay: December 2012
ElMesalaHotel, Owner at El Mesala Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

We are very sorry you experienced problems with your room. I am not aware that there was a problem, but we will look into this to prevent this happening in the future.
Please accept our apologies and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I have never stayed in this hotel but this was my first time eating here. The orange was freshly squeezed and delicious. We were only here for lunch but the salad and soups we orderd were lovely and the service was great. The place is spotless which is always a plus point. Wifi connection on the rooftop is great and you really can't beat the views, I posted a pic! We will be comming back again and will recommend to others.

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank Emmaporelmundo
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Lovely hotel, very clean and bright, extremely nice friendly staff who couldnt do enough for you, the roof terrace restaurant is stunning with amazing views of the Nile. Great pool area to relax and cool down, breakfast is traditional - omelette, yoghurt, cheese and local bread everything was fresh and served by two fantastic guys who couldnt do enough for you and aways made sure you had plenty of tea and coffee, other food was excellent and very reasonably priced which went down a treat with the local beer (Stella), you are literally a stones throw away from the Nile and its many motor boats, where you can easily go across to the East bank for shopping and Luxor temple, but there is plenty to do on the West bank local cafes, supermarkets and of course the Valley of the Kings is about 30 minutes away. We stayed here for 14 nights, had a wonderful time and cant wait to go back again!

Date of stay: November 2012