“Furtune Cookie deserves 4* However The Thai is overrated.”
Review of Hard Wok Cafe

Hard Wok Cafe
Ranked #70 of 154 Restaurants in Luxor
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Formerly The Fortune Cookie Plus King & Thai we are back with our excellent chefs in a new modern fully licensed restaurant. Close to all the major hotels tell your driver we are near The Lantern Restaurant opposite Snobs. BIG Screen sports Fully Licensed. Good Wine list plus Ice Cold Beer On Tap! If you have problems finding us come to A Taste Of India & Arabia my other restaurant for help.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Those are two separate restaurants in two different streets.They are probably owned by the same company or individual and served as one restaurant in the same location in the past.

The "A Taste of India" is also owned by the same group.

Based on the Reviews -guess where- I have tried all three.

The second one I have dined at was the Chinese Kitchen "Furtune Cookie". I tried the not-so-crispy-probably-microwaved duck. Even though it was not crispy, it was served well and with all the dressings it was not so bad. I decided to go again and give them an other try, and this time I will also ask for a "Fortune Cookie".

Be aware that the service staff-in all 3-are trained to maximize your bill, and they try to do it in a very unprofessional way, with a fake smile on their face. If you make a mistake and ask for their advice, all they'd advise is the most expensive dishes in the menu.

I tried the Thai two days later;

The stir fried beef I ordered in the "King and Thai" was literally swimming in the oil and not edible. I asked the waiter to take it back to kitchen and at least skim the oil... The senior waiter offered to change the dish and called the Thai Chef. She was kind enough to offer an other beef dish that I could not understand the name, which has arrived 5 minutes later. However as a half portion plate when I consider the size of the first dish. Cost Control concerns, I guess.

The service was not even half of the Chinese restaurant with a waiter hiding behind the bar and playing with his phone while customers are looking for someone in the room.

Feel free If you want to give it a try however keep in mind extremely oily food and be cautious about the food and beverage recommendations of the staff.

ras2, Owner at Hard Wok Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visits to my restaurants I am disappointed that you have not your your experience or food in any of them!
I can assure you this is not the experience I intend any visitor to have and by the feedback I get is not normally the case.
The staff will help anyone without knowledge of our menu's and cuisine's they will recommend our dishes based on the questions asked of them by the guests and DO NOT add anything to any orders unless requested to do so.
We do not send any of our meals out from a microwave.
As you point out I own three restaurants and I have not achieved this by serving poor quality or "tasteless" food as perhaps readers will realise from the reviews from possible more experienced diners of cuisines we offer.
I am around my restaurants most days and as you seem to have not enjoyed any of the meals I am disappointed you did not ask to see me however I will discuss your comments with the teams to make sure there is no perceived impression of the up selling that you imply.

There are newer reviews for Hard Wok Cafe

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Last time we were in here it was the Oasis. Now the King and Thai.
Good selection on menu and we all had a very good meal with portions sizes which didn't leave anyone still hungry. Pretty good value for money too.

ras2, Owner at Hard Wok Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit I am pleased you enjoyed your meals.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went round the corner from the Puddleduck, having stuck our heads in there and not wanted to join the stereotypical Luxor clientele of Saga tourists! This restaurant - the King and Thai - was empty, not unlike many other places in Luxor, but we were welcomed in to cheerful surroundings by a very pleasant waiter without any pushiness. Having recently spent a month in Far East, we were very pleased with the authenticity of the food on offer, and not surprised to be introduced to the female Thai chef on our way out. It's such a shame that (certainly at the end of January) there were so few visitors in Luxor and that most of those seem to concentrate on a few safe 'recommended' restaurants. Totally recommend this one if you feel like a change from the rest of what is on offer in town.

2  Thank Moira670
ras2, Owner at Hard Wok Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the restaurant I am pleased you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited The Fortune Cookie this week for my wife,s birthday, this was in the afternoon, the food was the best Chinese I have had in a long time, I don,t think you can beat this in Luxor or in England. The food was excellent, served by friendly and helpful staff. Previously we had a meal there in 2011 for my cousins birthday.

ras2, Owner at Hard Wok Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the restaurant I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I am also pleased that we help to make your wife's birthday special, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The fortune cookie was quite good Chinese food, however the King & Thai was outstanding, they have a Thai chef who produced top quality authentic dishes

1  Thank hab3

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visits to my restaurants I am pleased you enjoyed both your Chinese and Thai meals.