“Ok but not value for money”

Howard Carter House
Ranked #23 of 84 things to do in Luxor
Reviewed July 10, 2014

It will take no more than 10 minutes to explore this house which is all very well - the admission is £5 sterling per adult - but beware the shysters operating here. Taxi driver conveniently dropped us off here then sped off for a cup of tea and the staff at the house said we should have got a ticket at the ticket office down the road then offered to send someone on a bike to get them for us if we offered more money. We refused and tickets were bought back but these were for the Valley of the Queens which we begrudgingly handed over our money for (They werent redeemable for the Queens) Complained very loudly to taxi driver who pretended he didnt know anything about the ticket office then a heated discussion took place between the staff and the taxi driver who certainly pocketed the money themselves.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I visited Carters house on the 2nd May 2014 , the building is a time capsule if a little staged to when Howard Carter resided there , Worth popping in to visit whilst visiting the Valley of the Kings . But and there is a big but whilst there we visited the new replica tomb of Tutankhamun which is only a couple of yards from the house . I was somewhat disappointed ! My first impression was Wow when faced with the burial chamber it looked exactly as the real one had when we had visited it not more than half an hour before but on closer study i began to notice things were amiss . There was no wooden sarcophagus just the empty stone one and no case in the antichamber containing the body of Tutankhamun. with all the money spent you would have thought of supplying a replica wooden Sarcophagus. Then when you turned around the illusion disappeared the anti chamber and annex were nearly dimensionally correct apart from an enlargement to the entrance of the annex in the annex is a television showing the scanning process to make the replica and various photographs and a reconstructed part of the tomb painting which was destroyed when entering the tomb. Also missing was the descending staircase into the tomb the walls looked chiseled but looked new . If people are expected to visit this replica then the whole tomb has to be replicated exactly as the original . And the NO PHOTOGRAPHS rule is stupid i can understand the reason in the real tomb because of the paint work but a photocopied replica does not have these issues !!!!! more care is needed to make sure the WHOLE tomb is exactly replicated or the illusion will be lost and worthless .In my opinion you will feel cheated if you visited this replica.

3  Thank tony1877
Reviewed May 8, 2014

A wonderful place! I don't understand why so few tourists visit it ... Here you will feel the spirit of adventure and romance of the early 20th century. Advise all fans of history and of course those who watched the BBC's movie about Carter. If you have questions, please write, I now live in Luxor.

1  Thank ruegyptian
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I'm an archaeologist and my son's name is Carter so we wanted to go here. The antiques relating to howard Carter and his work on King Tut's tomb is really cool. It is a nice way to finish up an afternoon on the west bank looking at all of the temples and tombs

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We went to Howard Carter's House again during our visit and have to say I could wander around there all day long. I agree from previous comments that it does become a little boring after a while but as soon as you are finished you can sit in the garden and overlook the valley of the kings which is just beautiful. Please give this little attraction a try. It's cheap to enter and there is so much to see.

1  Thank tinabbrown