WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Something Different!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Maison de Pythagore

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luxor
La Maison de Pythagore
Ranked #28 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Doha, Qatar
“Something Different!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

La Maison de Pythagore
What a wonderful place to stay! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our two nights at La Maison de Pythagore and wished it could have been much longer. We had a very tight schedule and needed to pack in as many of the sights in Luxor as possible, it meant for tiring days, yet this hotel provided a wonderful venue to relax and unwind.
There will be some who might be put off the hotel because of its location, it is difficult to find, in the lanes of a village that has become absorbed by the growth of the city, but it is worthwhile. Arranging a pick up from the airport or train station is probably essential on arrival, otherwise you might not find it.
Do not be disappointed by the bland exterior either, it is once the front door is opened that the La Maison de Pythagore reveals its true character; you are a world away from the Hilton or the Sheraton, this is so much more satisfying. It is an old family house that has been converted to what one could describe as a boutique hotel, although I tend to think boutique hotels are overpriced, and La Maison is not, it is good value for money. There is a wonderful garden, with climbing plants and flowers, where we ate breakfast and our dinners. The food was to a good standard and plentiful. In colder weather one could eat inside in the dining area, which could also be used as a lounge. The bedroom we occupied was large, clean, had a comfortable bed and a good size bathroom area. The hotel is decorated with items that fit perfectly and the overall impression is very satisfying.
Marcel, who handles the day to day running of the place, is extremely helpful, informative and is happy to engage in discussions on practically any subject. We were impressed by the way the hotel was run by him, his wife (who we hardly saw) and a guy who came to tend the garden; they were all very pleasant. Muhammad, who manages the wider operation, which includes arranging tours and suchlike, in addition to overseeing the hotel, did a great job, as did Thomas, the owner and my first contact, who is based in Europe.
We had arranged for a guide, car and driver for our time there and the guide, Khaled Al Howary proved to be exceptional, steering us around many of the major sights and adjusting our schedule late on when our flight into Luxor was late. La Maison de Pythagore handled all our arrangements in Luxor and, although we could probably have found them cheaper, we were very happy with the price and the hassle free service provided.
I would recommend La Maison de Pythagore to anyone wanting something a bit more interesting than a big bland hotel. I would not recommend it for anyone who is infirm or in a wheelchair as street access might prove difficult. I would strongly recommend the services of Khaled as a guide; he is a very knowledgeable, interesting and pleasant gentleman.
If we return to Luxor, which I hope we will, La Maison de Pythagore would be our first choice.

Room Tip: There are two rooms abutting the courtyard downstairs; we didn't stay in them but if you want to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
copenhagen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights. Here are some plusses and minusses:

Plusses:

The b and b. Is very nicely decorated and there is a very beautiful garden.
It is very clean
It is situated in a residential area where you see the life of the 'ordinary man'

Minusses:

There was no hot water in the shower and day 2 hour toilet did not work
The person greeting us at arrival (Mohammed) was very keen ón appearing like a person not just wanting to earn money - but hé sold us an expensive tour with guide - for a lightshow (where guide was not needed) and the Luxor museum - where hé did not dó anything. At the tempel of Luxor hé spoke - but his English was so bad that we wish we would not have booked it.
Breakfast is dry bread and 2 small slices os cheese. Not at all enough for an 'adult man' :-)

All in all.... Go there for the cute rooms, hood and the nice garden. Expect to pay European b and b price for service that does not correspond with the price. (and bring some snacks so you wont be hungry after breakfast) :-)

Greetings from Denmark:-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kriversen
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Located in a quiet village sector in Luxor this escape is unique and memorable.
The walk through the village takes you through real Egypt and its people, you then arrive at the hotel and you are welcomed into its relaxed and peaceful environment.
Anne is a wealth of knowledge that you should use in planning your tours. The tours she arranged for us in Luxor were great.
We enjoyed Anne's company as she shared her Egyptian experiences with us.
We would definately return and recommend it to travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GRtravelling
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

My stay at The Maison De Pythagore was fabulous. My hosts, Anne and Thomas, were unbelievably kind, warm and witty. I loved being in a real Egyptian setting, a village outside of Luxor, as opposed to a hotel filled with tourists. I was invited into several neighbors' homes and felt very safe being on my own in the various villages in that area. Anne's traditional house is very beautiful and comfortable.The delicious meals were savored in her wonderful garden. A professional cook for many years in Belgium, Anne's expertise combined with the very fresh ingredients produced impressive results. The details of all my sightseeing (the magnificent tombs and Temple of Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel) were very carefully arranged by Thomas. I was fortunate to have the superb guide, Farraje, accompanied by the lovely Abdou as our driver. My other guide, Mohammed, was delightful and supportive in our road trip to Aswan and Abu Simbel. I chose to have my guided visits in French and spoke with the family in that language. (Other visitors may wish to have English speaking guides. Thomas speaks English very well and so does Anne.) Already, I have booked my return visit and eagerly await the chance to be amongst my new friends, as well as to see more superb temples and art and be immersed in the French language. Anne and Thomas made it possible for me to travel to a Muslim country as a single woman; I will always be grateful to them for their tremendous assistance and hospitality.

Room Tip: The neighboring roosters and the sound of the prayers Mosques in the early morning (typical of any...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo