“Bizarre - not in a good way”

The Genesis Pub and Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 156 Restaurants in Luxor
Cuisines: Egyptian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We came here after people raving about it. As soon as we walked in we were looking for an excuse to leave.

Obviously this place really is some people's cup of tea, but for me; if I wanted egg and chips, a pint and some awful decor I would probably not travel hundreds of miles for it.

So the decor is just weird, I didn't get it. The camel, the horse, the sheep was for me borderline cruel. When I saw the owner going at the camel with a pool cue it was time to leave.

The place is full of drunk middle aged football shirt wearing sun reading English tourists who have beer with their breakfast. Sorry if that is harsh, its just not what I go on holiday for.

I would not go back to Genesis (you can probable guess!), unless it was to liberate the poor camel!

Awful awful place.

2  Thank Philip W

Reviewed December 8, 2012

A journey into the unknown for my wife and I.! We were met by the owner, a Ukranian, who showed us around. This included a mini zoo at the back of the restaurant with peacocks, a camel, two ostriches etc! There is a small swimming pool within the restaurant too! Our meal was delicious and drinks generous. Well worth a visit if you are looking for something unusual but fun in Luxor!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This pub was recommended by our tour rep and well worth the visit. Camels,Peacocks,ostrich,horses,cats all add to its unique experinence.Upsidedown tables hanging off the ceiling the Efiel tower, a swimming pool which anyone can use.Good Beer ,Kareoke and atmosphere......The men loved it

1  Thank HMSNottingham
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Good food, and great place to see, as they have outside pool, camel, Ostrich, peacock, could do with more friendly service...

but good value food for the money

1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This place blew me away.
A friend took me there for a drink and its amazing, absolutly wicked decor, a pool,camels, horse and ostriches in the back garden oh and 2 massive great danes who wander between customers to say hello.
It was fab, the staff were great so i took my family for a meal there and the food was out of this world,probably the best steak iv ever had and it even came with a little candle inside a tomato on the plate. My dad was happy because they were also showing the football on a wide screen tv aswell.
Would definatly recomend this place to anyone especially if you have children. A definate gem in luxor and very reasonable prices.