“In a class of its own”

Corniche Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 154 Restaurants in Luxor
Cuisines: French
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Part of the legendary Winter Palace, the ambiance of the Corniche is in a class of its own. Food is delicious and, given its setting, fairly priced. A perfect place for a special occasion. Service was rather slow, but our pudding looked like a work of art.

1  Thank Irena F

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Over the years we have eaten quite a few times at the El Corniche but have never been impressed by the food, which varies in quality from acceptable to horrible. The room is nice to sit in, and the service is usually good, but after our last experience it is a case of never again. It was 3 years since our last visit and we took the view that things change, so we decided to give it another try. My friend had asparagus and mushroom soup. It was made from powder and was horrible. (Whenever we have had soup, in both El Corniche and 1886, it has been made from powder.On one occasion in 1886 my friend had chicken soup and I had mushroom, and you could not tell the difference). I started with chicken liver pate which looked and tasted lovely. Unfortunately they did not serve toast with it and the bread on the table was so stale it was inedible. My friend had a main of rack of lamb. I had rack of veal. Both had been sliced in to cutlets and were so tough I could not even cut my veal, let alone chew it. My friends lamb was like rubber. Everything was barely lukewarm and we both had the same tasteless sauce on our meat. We sent it back. My friend then had salmon which was perfectly and lightly cooked, hot and with fresh hot veg. So they can get it right. I declined a replacement meal. It is a nice restaurant to sit in, but that is it.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Corniche Restaurant; is the main restaurant of the historical 5 stars Sofitel Winter Palace hotel, it is currently serves an open buffet for yummy breakfast and dinners and it is an elegant restaurants but you do not have to wear jacket, but I guess casual wear is not welcomed . The food variety is good and the taste is excellent. And they serve, oriental, French and international dishes

1  Thank Hatemzaki
Reviewed August 1, 2009

The Corniche is the restaurant that the residents of The Old Winter Palace use for breakfast or dinner if they are not eating in the other restaurants in the Hotel
It is a large room & the tables are not on top of each other.
This restaurant is a silver service. The food is generally á lá Carte, with a separate, smaller, menu for those on ½ board. The desserts are a work of art and taste great. After your meal you can have your coffee on the terrace.
My wife sometimes has two starters to so she does not miss out on the dessert.
It may not be to everyone tastes – service is not of the ‘slam-bam-thank you mam’ variety.

3  Thank eLaReF
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Firstly we didnt stay at this hotel but were staying at the Jolie Ville and thought it would be nice to go to the Winter Palace for dinner one night.
We stopped off at about 4pm for a coffee and were very impressed by the grand colonial style of the reception areas and the helpfulness of the staff we spoke to. We were surprised therefore to be served our coffee with the milk in a little jug that was not only chipped but hadnt been properly washed for some time - there was milk residue all under the rim and lip.
However decided it was a probably a one off and still made a dinner reservation for La Corniche restaurant for the same evening. The restaurant was very lacking in atmosphere - it's like a few tables have placed in a ball room, the paintwork was extremely tatty and the decor dismal. Disappointingly the food was also dismal, watery tasteless soup followed by two main courses that were overcooked and also tasteless as well as being overpriced. We hastened back to the Jolie Vile for dessert and coffee, very much feeling that the Winter Palace is living on its laurels .

2  Thank WatfordWelltravelled