“Reage Vibes”

Bob Marley House Hostel
Ranked #4 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Luxor
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights and had a nice and relaxing experience. There is mostly very friendly and funny staff. The decoration and ambiance is a great reggae experience - whit all what there is typical. But the not so nice part started whit the tour i book there: It was not like promised: Whit way more people and the guides didn't cam in to the attractions: They stay outside and didn't explain the stuff on site. So: Guest House is good but for additional things better go some where else.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Tungmar

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Things have changed a lot in this hotel since I first wrote my TripAdvisor review of the Sherief Hotel.

The previous hotel Manager, "Happy", has been sacked and the new manager has a penchant for having all of his friends over to eye-up the tourist ladies (the previous manager got himself an American wife in this way and now lives in the USA) and these Egyptian guys occupy the whole of the lounge almost all the time from around 5pm, which makes it virtually a no-go area for hotel guests to use, which is a real shame as it is a lovely lounge, as well as their dominating the computer where they hang out on "chat" which made it pretty much impossible for me to check my email. "First come, first served" is what I was told - but these young Egyptian guys are not even staying in the hotel - they are simply friends of the manager.

The bathroom plumbing has been totally neglected in this hotel. I tried all four bathrooms and they were all dirty and I saw cockroaches scurrying around in two of them.

The staff have a terrible habit of calling to each other from the ground floor reception up to the fifth floor terrace, early in the morning. Not exactly how I want to be woken up at 7am, even if they are arranging breakfasts for guests.

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past, but I will never stay at the Sherief Hotel again. It was a truly miserable and unpleasant experience.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lotuspods
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed here for a couple nights. In fairness, the rooms are okay, and the bathrooms functional, but the staff are aggressive and dishonest. I stayed in a dorm, and had 3 angry men surround me telling me I hadn't paid for my stay (I had) and demanded more money. In ignored this.

Several touts hang out in the reception will try take you out or around town as "friends," they're actually ripping you off. One guy bought a guest a bottle of vodka he didn't ask for and demanded he pay an inflated price for it because he "got it for him." Pretend to be friendly but really just see you as a meal ticket. Left the next morning and didn't tell them where I was going to avoid more hassle. Tours are over-priced.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank jameskimelliott
Reviewed May 13, 2012

the price is cheap but that's all. the room is dirty, the water in the bathroom didtn go away, the terace is dirty and completely unemployed
the people are nice except the man at the reception is really annoying.he pretends to be nice and friendly but he just want to sell you all kinds of tours, dont let you alone.He followed us to the restaurant just 30 min after we arrived. I don t recomand this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hristo C
Reviewed April 10, 2012

From the first moment we fell in love with the place and we are definitely coming back! I traveled with my mom and 10-year-old brother so I recommend this place to every kind of people. A supernice nubian guy called Happy is a real honest, amazing host who makes you feel safe, cared for and he will get you the best prices and give you tips to avoid all the unwanted hassle from the unnecessary guides to the too expensive tours. (I live in Cairo and also worked in a hostel in Hungary, so I'm quite picky, but I would recommend this place with all my heart! :))

If you don't want the fake "tourist catalogue"-experience and you want something real and fun, you will find this chilled, colorful, cosy and clean place the perfect spot to discover Luxor from. But the real value is in the staff, they are just kind, giving, lovely people with the essence of the egyptian hospitality that makes any traveler want to stay and never leave. I'm definitely coming back, even alone, as being a female alone I wouldn't have wanted to come before, but knowing this place I'm already planning my own next Luxor-trip.

The rooms are basic, but comfy and clean, the rooftop terrace is to die for, with colors everywhere and an amazing view, you can enjoy the relaxing nubian tea with fellow travelers or Happy (the owner) who will tell you amazing stories of life in upper-egypt.
He invited us for lunch today and took 3 us with his motorbike (superfun!), bargained the cheapest price for our balloon-trip, and even wanted to give me money back cause he thought we paid too much for the room!

If you choose Bob Marley Hostel, you will leave with lovely memories of Luxor!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Sofia B
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I visited Luxor for 2 days and since it was a last minute plan I end up staying in Bob Marley House. Location is good as its next to train station.
My room was in a bad state, though bed sheets were clean blanket were really dirty. (it was winters). Bathroom was not clean, and the hallway feels that its not cleaned since ages.
Owner tried real hard to sell me overpriced tours, AVOID them. Just walk across the street, near the nile river and you would get better deals.
Though I never leave anything valuable in the hostel room, I feel that my bag was opened and checked but nothing was missing so no complains here. If you stay here, lock your bags.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank mtrRahul
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is a nice clean hostel. With very friendly people. I had the best time at this Bob Marley House Hostel. I recommend this place for anyone who is visiting or stay in Luxor.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business