“Al Gezera”

Ranked #3 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Luxor
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Al Gezera”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The flats were in a good location, it was only a 5 minute walk to the ferry and there are some really nice restaurants on the west bank which are also very cheap, El Fayrouz was amazing. Jane very kindly let us use her washing machine as we were there for 3 weeks, we also booked a taxi to Moalla and Tod through her, which was reasonably priced. The flats are quite basic but it is also very cheap, ideal for people on a budget.The pool was lovely. Jane's cat, Smokey, was really sweet. My friend was on a dig near the Ramesseum and it was an ideal location for her as it was easy to get there and back. The wifi was a bit temperamental but it is also free which was good. There is always someone around so it feels very safe.

Room Tip: There are some nice views from the balconies on the higher levels. Take mosquito spray if you go out...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charlotte S
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I do hope to see you again next year and this time you will be hot dusty and working :)

regards Jane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just returned from 3 weeks at Flats in Luxor in Al Gezira while on a volunteer placement. The location was outstanding with incredible views over the Theban hills. The sites on the West bank are very convenient to get to with a service taxi to catch for 5p just outside the flats. The village is very close with a good choice of shops and restaurants, and the ferry across to the west bank just 10minutes away for 10p!! All the locals were very friendly and welcoming- I felt totally safe at all times- safer than I do in the UK! Jane and Little Mohamed couldn't do enough for us and were full of advice and local knowledge. The pool was heaven after a hot day digging and was nice to take a dip in the evenings too! The only problem now is how to adjust to life back at home! I will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
And you were an amazing guest, so nice to meet you before you came and thank you for helping me with my holiday. Hope to see you next year

Regards Jane
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I just returned from spending five weeks with Jane at her Al Gezera flats. This was my first time staying there, and what a comfortable, beautiful and convenient location!
Jane made sure everything was taken care of for me and Mohammed was also very helpful and always had a smile.
Safety was never a concern, and it was interesting to be there during the election.
It felt like I was staying with friends instead of being left on my own once checked into a hotel. Everyone was so friendly in the village and the ferry to the East Bank was a short walk down the street. The sites are all very close and easy to get to.
The view of the Theban Hills from the flat is absolutely breathtaking and I often sat on my balcony just watching the sunset.
It was sad to say goodbye to all my new friends and leave Luxor behind, but you can bet I will return again soon!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your review, glad you felt it was like home, it was lovely to have you here and many thanks for the maple syrup.
Ardmona Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I'm just back from a month's stay at Al Gezer and what a great place to stay. I shared with two others and there was plenty of room for us and what can I say about the pool. A wonderful respite after a day in the heat. Jane was great and a goldmine of information as well as organising any needs that we had (with help from Mohammed who was a gem). She was happy to share Her knowledge and resources for which I will be forever grateful.The location was ideal and access to the monuments as well as the village shops was easy. It was a thoroughly relaxing haven with spectacular views and friendly people. The village had the all the requirements you would need for self catering and the tomatoes and bananas were beautiful and I really recommend a salad of watermelon and buffalo cheese DIVINE!.(thanks for that Jane) If you you want to eat out there were some excellent places within walking distance or Jane's chef does a wonderful meal. For anyone traveling to Egypt it is a great place as the base for your trip as Jane will get you to anywhere you want to go. I have sold my daughter on taking her family there for a holiday. I definitely will be back.

Room Tip: If you want easy pool access take the ground floor. If you want the view choose the upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
It was so lovely to meet you and hopefully next time you will bring your family. Thanks for the review

regards Jane
Leicester
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Staying at the flats was very comfortable and the 'meet and greet' from the airport took away any concerns of 'how do we get there' etc especially arriving on a later flight. Jane was extremely helpful offering help and advice which was very useful as it was a little daunting staying on the west bank as this was a first for me. I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would not go back to staying on the east bank, the location of the flats is brillant for the sites, village, and there's a fantastic bakery just around the corner and it's only a 10 min walk to the ferry crossing. The flat was huge and the space and freedom was brillant as although there were 3 of us sharing we were never under each others feet! I couldn't get enough of the view especially in the evening when the Theban Hills are lit up. The swimming pool offers privacy and again the size is very generous and it even has a jaquzzi pool! Little Mohammed is a real sweetie, bless him, and I love his greeing when he see's you 'it's good' He is also very creative and made us smile with the towel art!! My three weeks stay was incrediable-thank you Jane for making it extra special! Pauline-Leicester, UK

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pauline C
, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your great review, I hope we see you again really soon. Glad you liked our wonderful baker.
Burgess Hill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Just returned from 3 weeks with Jane - it was like staying with a friend as her knowledge, finger on the button and friendliness knew no parallels. She was in the flat below and we enjoyed many chats both in her falat and ours. Definately NOT 5 star hotel - the glory of chilling, outings and adventure were supported by not having any time shedules to maintain, up when we chose, eating, swimming, crashing out, showers and the freedom to wander around in clothing I wouldn't have dared wear in a 5 starer. Meals to order or self-catering, Water and basic supplies ordered and ready for our arrival with bulk shopping trips on offer if we didn't fancy doingit ourselves. Little Mohamed was a star in his own right, lookingl after our needs and sorting out any problems pronto and without fuss. Jane offered trips out which would have been great but my friends and I were on a work volunteer trip. The space of the flat was amazing and the views of the Theban Hills (just over by Hatshepsut's Temple) were stunning day and night from the massive veranda and the relaxing roof top. The local village was a few minutes walk away and had met all our simple requirements, the ferry was at the other end of the village at the great price of 10p to cross the Nile :). The West Bank sites were a 5p local bus ride away with Jane having explained how to hail and then stop these minibusses wherever you wanted - no "bus stops", Sshe also was able to give us "cultural" tips which also enhanced our stay. Everyone was so friendly it was awful wandering around saying our good byes.
Thank you Jane and I'm looing forward to a return trip :)

Room Tip: Just talk to Jane in advance and when you are there, as she will organise things to suit
Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gwynefer
, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review, it was lovely to meet you at last :) Give my regards to your side kick, regards Jane
Bacup, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Me and my partner and our 2 friends stayed in one of Jane's appartments at Flats in Luxor. The appartments are in a breathtaking location on the West Bank at Al Gezera. It had fantastic views and we loved to sit on the balcony watching the sun rising. In the evening it was just as spectacular looking accross at the view of the Nile and East Bank of Luxor on one side of us and the lit up valley of the Kings on the other side. We were only there for 7 nights and packed a lot into the days. A number of the trips were recommended by Jane and she also arranged for our transport to and from where we were going. We had breakfast made for us by Jane's staff on a number of the mornings which was a great help and absolutely lovely, they also cleared everything up after we had finished. We visited the valley of the Kings, Queens and Nobles and another 2 tombs at AL-Khaukha one of which included a mummy. Two of our trips were suggested and arranged by Jane and we absolutely loved every minute of them. One was the day cruise on the Nile which included lunch and a visit to Dandara Temple and the other was a trip on a hot air balloon and we would absolutely recommend both as not to be missed. We had a lovely meal waiting for us on arrival, not only was it delicious but there was plenty of it. The appartment itself was probably one of the largest we've ever stayed in. There were 3 bedrooms all big and one en-suite, a bathroom, large kitchen and living/dining room. We also had 2 balcony's, one that looked over the pool area and the other looked to the side of the property and accross to the valley of the Kings in the distance. We spent quite a bit of time cooling off in the pool when we were relaxing in the hot afternoons. The shops were a short walk up the lane in front of the appartments and along the way we would meet very friendly and welcoming Egyptian families. We absolutely loved it here and we can't wait to return to visit more places in Luxor that Jane recommends and stay in these fabulously located appartments.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chrisbritannia
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for the lovely review, i am so glad you all enjoyed yourselves especially the ones who hadn't travelled much or at all before! I hope we see you back again soon.