“Great stay at Mara House Luxor” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mara House

Mara House
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Houston
“Great stay at Mara House Luxor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

From the pick up at the airport (charged separately) to the wonderful tour guide and tours to the well-appointed rooms, our stay at Mara House was great!

We arrived early on a Thursday morning and the guide was already at the house ready for the West Bank tour. We requested something light to eat as we had not had breakfast and it was served with warmth and hospitality. We spent the first day on an abbreviated West Bank tour in the comfort of an air conditioned van.

For dinner that night, a taxi pick up was arranged and we ate at an Indian restaurant recommended by Mara. Run by an expat Brit, A Taste of India was delightful and the food was excellent. The cold beer also went down a treat. :)

Friday we took Mara's suggestion and left the house with packed lunches and seven or eight other guests in a large air conditioned bus, from a tour of Abydos and Dendera. Our same knowledgable and friendly guide, Mohammed, accompanied us on this trip as well.

On Friday evening, we ate at the Mara House restaurant and enjoyed an Egyptian feast. We left, happy, on Saturday morning.

I can highly recommend Mara House both for its accommodation and arranging of tours. In fact, I already have.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mara_House, Owner at Mara House, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I am so glad you had a good time with your family at Mara House and want to thank you sincerely for taking the time to recommend us - and indeed for the guests you have already sent to us.

Mohamed also appreciates that you enjoyed his tours and "A Taste of India" is my personal favourite when I want to have a night out, happy that you like it :-)

It's great that it all fell into place for you and that you got to see Luxor before moving on - I hope you will be very happy in your new home and will look forward to seeing you if you get the chance to return.

Many thanks again for taking the time to recommend us.
Mara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Mara House was a wonderful retreat in Luxor. It is small and located in a neighborhood away from the main section of town. I vacationed here for two days with my wife and two children (then 3 and 5). Mara is an Irish expatriot who runs this lovely hotel. SHe is almost always available and takes great care of her guests. The accomodations are wonderful and quaint, with a/c in the bedrooms which is a must. The fridge is stocked and the food (especially breakfast) is fantastic. Mara will set you up with everything you need for sightseeing and getting to and from the airport. Of note is the fact that we felt completely safe and welcome in the neighborhood. My children played with the local kids on the street, and the walk to and from town was well lit and safe.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave_Pittsburgh
Mara_House, Owner at Mara House, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Great to hear from you here and sincere thanks for taking the time to give us the "thumbs up" - July is hot and we are very appreciative of those who venture to stay with us in the summer!

Unfortunately our lighting in Luxor is not the best these days - we are subject to power cuts as the government attempt to tackle a power shortage, which is a bit weird because now the time for air-con is finished so demand should be reducing! However, it gives us an excuse to go more romantic, especially in the restaurant, by candlelight :-)

We have also just had two days of thunderstorms, very unusual but most welcome as now all the dust is gone from all the rooftops and treetops :-)

I hope the kids remember their holiday as they grow older and maybe (God-willing) they can holiday here when my Grand-daughter takes over (she's 12 now and loves Mara House)!

Again thank you for choosing Mara House and especially for remember to write us up.

Best regards to all the family,
Taurinya, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Trip Advisor's reviews of Mara House looked promising, and I found Mara's website helpful in the early stages of planning this trip. Mara herself was most helpful in the planning stages for the trip, and though she was away when we arrived, she kept in touch by email & continued to offer helpful advice. The highlights of our actual stay in Mara House were: firstly, the impeccable service provided by the staff, particularly Sahry and Amr, who were attentive to every need, and constantly offering help and advice; secondly, the beautiful, spotlessly clean and artistic decor which greatly enhanced the experience of staying there; thirdly, the excellent Salahadeen Feast offered by the restaurant.
Mara offers a good range of trips and activities, but we had booked these through another company so I am unable to comment on this aspect of her service. I would thoroughly recommend the guest house, and can vouch that the staff all take great pride in providing an excellent service.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms whose windows are situated in the air conditioning shaft, which is rather noisy...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Jackie,

Being Irish - good food is very dear to my heart, seems Irish women always want to feed people, and I am delighted you enjoyed the Feast. Thank you for acknowledging Amr and Sahry, they have very good hearts and love helping our visitors get the best from their holiday.

The credit for the decor goes to my son, Stephen and his partner, Sara - they transformed Mara House during the year they were there, I would love to have them back but they are now comfortably settled back in Ireland - thanks to the Egyptian Revolution!

Sincere thanks for taking the time to write the review - they are vital to our continued success here as all my guests come through the internet and personal referrals. I hope your memories of Egypt will give you pleasure for many years to come.

Best wishes and thank you again,
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed the nights of October the 16th and 17th 2012 at Mara House. This hotel is a great place to stay. My room was spacious, nicely furnished and most important to me super clean and neat. The hotel staff was polite, professional and always attentive to my needs. I arrived by plane and her taxi driver was waiting for me at the airport, i used this same driver for trips around town and he was friendly and his fares were economical. I booked with Mara tours of the Karnak and the Luxor temples one day and a complete tour of the West Bank the next day (highly recommended as this is an expansive area that would be a bit challenging to do independently on a time limited trip). Mara also arranged for me several excellent tours in Cairo, where i had spent four days prior to visiting Luxor. I was totally satisfied with them, my guide was a great friendly young man, Mohammed, that gave me not only an insight into the historical sites we visited but also was great teaching me about contemporary Egyptian culture.
Anyone considering a trip to Luxor (or Cairo) should visit Maria's website as this is a great source of information.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hi Michael,

I so appreciate your taking the time to write us up here This is the single most important thing that our guests can do for us but sadly so many forget they have even been on holiday once they are home for a few days! It was a pleasure to correspond with you and help you organise your time in Egypt and I regret not meeting you in person. The revolution has left me with trying to take care of two businessess many miles apart and at the moment I seem to be needed in Cairo more than Luxor. As you have said - Amr and Sahry are doing a great job in my place :-)

Delighted your memories of Egypt are good ones and if you get to this side of the world again I hope we meet up.

Sincere thanks for choosing Mara House and our tours in Cairo also :-)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We arrived at Mara House early in the morning after an exhausting night train journey from Cairo to Luxor; I myself had contracted what I thought was food poisoning only 7 hours before. Upon arriving, Mara's staff were more than accommodating by providing us with both tea and medication to sooth the detrimental effects of what I would later learn to be 'Pharaoh's Revenge' (a nasty bacterial bug that mimics the stomach flu). After hearing that I was ill, Mara immediately called to both inform me of the course of action I had to take to rid myself of this bacteria (using Antimol) and to confirm the day trips we had conversed about ahead of time via email. Everyone was incredibly helpful.

I have never been so 'spoiled' as I was during the 4 days we spent at Mara House. Our room and the house more than exceeded my expectations. It was obvious that considerable thought had gone into creating a traditional Egyptian atmosphere that felt both welcoming and homey, especially after long day trips. Sahry and Amr, the two male staff members running the place, were the most gracious of hosts. They both are completely devoted to making your time spent at Mara House relaxing and enjoyable. Their cooking was unreal; be sure to indulge in the Egyptian feast.

The West Bank, Karnak/Luxor Temple, Abydos and Dendera, and Aswan Tours were incredible and extremely well organized, providing us with an excellent Egyptologist as a guide to the history associated with each. Well worth the money.

I would recommend Mara House to anyone visiting Luxor. If you're looking for a place to help create memorable experiences that will last a lifetime, then Mara House is where you'll want to stay.

Thank you so very much Mara!

Aleisha & Kathleen

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Aleisha & Kathleen,

I am so grateful to you for choosing Mara House for your stay in Luxor and for taking time out to recommend Mara House here on TripAdvisor - which is the source of most of our bookings. Everyone promises to write but so many forget once they get home so a million thanks to you for such a glowing one.

The Antinal is a God-send and though I write about and leave on the reception table for guests you would be surprised how many people take stuff they bring from home which is not nearly as effective and quick-acting, so I am unashamedly plugging Antinal again here!

I showed your review to Amr and Sahry and they glowed after reading it :-) A little appreciation goes a long way and Mara House has become their life - I think they feel ownership of it now since I have had to be away a lot and that is fantastic.

Your appreciation for our Feast is wonderful - it's cooked with good feeling and intentions so I am sure that adds to the flavour :-)

Mohamed, our guide was also delighted at your comments on the tours.

Thank you so much again for taking time out to recommend us - I hope all our guests are as happy with us as you were.

Best wishes and thanks to you both,
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My weekend in Luxor staying at Mara House was an excellent R&R weekend away from the hussle and bussle in Cairo (where I live and work). Mara and Amr organised a fabulous sightseeing day on the West Bank starting with a dawn hot air balloon ride - I would get up at 0345 every day if each day could start with breathtaking views from a balloon basket high in the sky.

Amr was our host for the weekend, he made us feel most welcome. The house and our room was clean, spacious, comfortable, well stocked fridge with water, soft drinks, wine and beer and I loved the decor. We had a fabulous weekend in Luxor and Mara, Amr and Mohamed played a big part in that!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank H N
Mara_House, Owner at Mara House, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to recommend us here - I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. It's great to have happy guests around the house :-)

The guys send their best wishes to you and appreciate your mentioning their efforts.

Since you are not so far away we hope to have you with us again - and your friends :-)

Many thanks again and best wishes for your time in Cairo.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

After an eventful and tiring (but amazing ) few days in Cairo we arrived early in the morning after the night train from Cairo to Luxor. Thankfully Mara had arranged for her driver to meet us so we were whisked straight to the hotel and a quick check in to our wonderful room for a much needed lie in.
Throughout the trip the attention and care given to us and ensuring that we had a great experience in Luxor was fantastic and really genuine (even with all the extra needs we brought with us..lost passport, found passport, transport passport from Cairo, passport cancelled...). But it all worked out well in the end and Mara helped us get to our next destination in Dahab. The tours were great, and since it wasn't busy at the time my friend and i had a private tour at no extra cost. A great chance to ask and learn anything we wanted to know about Egyptian history. The advice give on this and what to see was also spot on.
What more can i say, wonderful Egyptian breakfasts, cold beer in the fridge at market prices and beautiful rooms. Thanks for a wonderful stay and we'll definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Erica P
Mara_House, Owner at Mara House, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hmmmm Erica, I think you are a bit like me....drama, excitement and synchronicity just seems to follow some of us mortals around. It was lovely to have you with us and there's nothing like a bit of excitement to spice things up - actually everyday in Egypt is like that, you never know what challenge faces you when you get up in the morning. We are very like the ducks - you now sailing peacefully on the surface of the pond while paddling mad beneath the water!

I'm partial to a cold beer around 5 in the evening myself and Stella is one of the pleasures of life available here, and hopefully this will continue :-) So far so good.

Really glad you have happy memories of Egypt and especially Mara House. Thank you so much for going to the bother of writing a review. Hearing from visitors after they have left is really important and affirmative for us all at Mara House and is what keeps us smiling :-)

Again, real and sincere appreciation for your kindness.