“It's the people who make this the place to stay”
Review of Hotel Sheherazade

Hotel Sheherazade
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed August 7, 2009

After ten days of doing business in Egypt, I was ready for some downtime and this is the place to unwind and relax. I took advantage of Christine’s internet June special, but owner Mohamed asked me not to publish the rate here because it was ridiculously low. I arrived to discover that I was the only guest that night, and one of only a handful the other two nights…another clue to the fantastic rate.

The Sheherazade is not for the pampered elite I found basting by the pool at Luxor’s Winter Palace, nor appealing to my fellow Americans who insist on a Marriott standard. This hotel is for the savvy traveler who wants to experience the feel of a caravanserai, of the road less traveled and of a place to brag to your friends about. Then there’s the issue of the owners, staff and guests…for it’s the people who make this the place to stay.

Mohamed & Christine and Mohamed’s brother Noobi have assembled a staff of local guys who are fun and hip and keen on making sure the guests are happy. That’s what makes this work. Saber made sure my room was spotless and that my towels were fashioned into excellent animals (my earplugs were lobster eyes), and the chef made sure the roast chicken and pomme frits filled me up, and the waiter kept my Stella cold in the fridge between sips, and Noobi negotiated my felucca sail to Banana Island, and the night watchman welcomed me home…need I go on?

That’s why I will return…for the chicken pizza with fresh basil, to share my breakfast al fresco with the hotel mouser, to be awaken by the rooster on the wall, to climb to the incomplete rooftop and gaze on Thebes and the Nile countryside.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank Jon from Dallas

Reviewed August 2, 2009

Stayed for 1 night in June. Quiet, spotlessly clean room in charming hotel. Hotel arranged pick-up and sight-seeing for 2 days for my husband and I. Very professional and would highly recommend. Breakfast was fruit, yoghurt, tea/coffee, enough when it is hot. Great place for dinner, the menu is quite limited but what the cook does he does very well and it is cheap. This is a great place to stay if you want to see the real Egypt.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WA_trekkers
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I saw this hotel a year ago and am disappointed to find nothiong has been done to the interior of the hotel in the past year. A particular disappointement is the rooftop- this could be a fabulous venue but is just left as unfinished with rubble lying around etc. There are fabulous views from this rooftop - we would have loved to have spent time up there but not in a junkyard. The gardens are charming but unfortunately local Egyptian children were running round there every night. Surely no other hotel does this.This in an hotel that advertises itself for its peace and tranquillity. The hotel is exceptionally clean, the food is good, and it was reassuring to have an English manager there. This could be an excellent hotel with just a few finishing touches.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jordana13
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We stayed three nights.

If you are looking for clean, quiet budget accommodation, this is a great choice.

The West Bank is far quieter. The hotel is a great value at about $30 U.S. dollars per night per room. The rooms were very clean, especially by Egyptian tourist standards.

Breakfast was not much, but there was some bread and fruit and yogurt. Forget "real" coffee--almost everywhere you go in Egypt it is instant Nescafe.

It's a five minute walk to the riverbank where you can hop on the public ferry for one Egyptian pound per person (about 18 cents U.S.) or take one of the private boats (trust me, you'll get many offers!). We never paid more than 5 pounds (about a U.S. dollar) for the private boat for three of us to cross.

There's an outdoor bar/restaurant but we didn't eat there. Drinks were reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gretchen D
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed at the Shehezerade Hotel recently, and was really impressed by the building. My room was clean and the bed comfortable, and the staff were extremely helpful. I’d recommend it to anyone. The menu for the restaurant was well balanced, and the food delicious. My only small criticism was that there was only one sachet of Nescafe at breakfast – and I do like more than one cup of coffee with my breakfast!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank JOJO2357
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Staying here was lovely, just lovely. I'm really glad we decided to spend a couple of days on this side of the Nile. Not so touristy, really chilled (well that's what we got out of it). Hotel Sherherazade was a little difficult to find but we asked around a helpful local brought us into the hotel.
Beautiful building and really good food at the restaurant. Absolute bliss after hectic cairo.
If I come back to Luxor, I'll spend more time on this side of the Nile.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple