“Short stop of to Island”
Review of Elephantine Island

$45.00*
Home Cooked Aswan Traditional Nubian Meal with a Local Family
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Aswan
More attraction details
Owner description: This island is the oldest inhabited part of Aswan and served as the cult center of the ram headed god Khnum in ancient times.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Short stop of to Island”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

we just stopped of here on way to Nubian Village, lovely place very quite and remote but a good stop off. see how they live sand is soft... but watch out for carmel poo..

Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Crocodiles on Elephantine island”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Please, if you visit elephantine island and wish to follow the sign 'ANIMALIA' which leads you to a 'traditional' Nubian house, to meet a man with crocodiles... please know they have been keeping a young croccodile in a 'metal barrel' which has never been outside and barely seen the sunshine. They say its for 'good luck' for tourists. i would say this is a terrible consequence of Nubians thinking that tourists want to see live crocodiles.. so they keep them in terrible conditions. Please give your feedback to your tour company... they say they are going to pout thid croc into lake Nasser in a months time... I doubt it will bea ble to survive.... I am a postgraduate ecologist specialising in herpetology so I have a pretty good understanding..... its shocking. As tourists we do have some power to prevent these things from happening. As for the baby corcs.. wel its up to you if you feel comfortable holing thee littel ones.. that have a similar future in store for them.. a metal barrel.. and no natural environment to thrive in...... very very sad.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank AdelaMei
Manchester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What elephants?”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We circled the island and the tour guide did point to some vaguely elephant like rocks, but that was about it. getting off the boat was lethal, an nine feet long plank about 10 inches wide to scuttle down! I thought the boat guy was kidding at first. If you're not good on your feet, do not take the boat ride folks!

Visited December 2012
Ann Arbor
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Away from the tourist pressure”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really enjoyed walking around the area with Nubian houses. I met a man and talked quite a while over tea at his home. I was frank and asked him if he expected money (given my experience with some others), and he said no. He did arrange a felluca ride AT MY REQUEST (no pressure) with his nephews, and I paid 25 Egyptian pounds per hour (for 3 hours), which I think is a very fair price. (You can compare to others.)

You can take a regular ferry to the island for 1 pound from the far dock on the corniche's south end (close to the large white Coptic church). Just put your 1 pound coin in the slot along with the locals. Return the same way.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank biophiliac
Wenatchee, Washington
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Rural life in the city”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I would have given this an excellent rating but for two things: the ferry and the young islanders. The ferry tried to charge us 10 LE each person one way to go to the island, claiming an official "tourist price" but lacking any kind of official ticket meaning a long argument. We had a lovely visit to the ruins next to the closed museum. We stopped for a tea at one of the houses that runs kitschy touristy traps, which was fine. Then my mother and I were enjoying a lovely stroll down narrow back lanes with verdant plantings on either side, enjoying the shade and the quiet when we were followed, yelled at, and had our rear ends pinched by a gang of youth. While this type of behavior is common for groups of teenage Egyptian boys everywhere, it is particularly frustrating on the island as it is difficult to get away from them and the adults around did not seem to be overly bothered. Instead of enjoying finishing our walk, we found the nearest boat and left the island.

Visited October 2012