“Thanks to Mr. Hani and staff”

Pyramisa Isis Corniche Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The Isis Corniche looks like it has seen better days, and no doubt it has- the past year has been rough for Egypt, and the tourism industry has suffered tremendous losses, but if there is one place we stayed the night over the past week of touring the country that really over-met our expectations, it was the Isis Corniche Hotel in Aswan. It was the first hotel I booked for the trip, and turned out to be the best. I called ahead of time (3 times in fact) because of the negative reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The reservation manager, Mr. Hani, helped put my mind at ease each time. I told him we are vegetarians- no problem. We needed a breakfast box for our 4am convoy to Abu Simbel- no problem. I had to cancel the first night due to an unexpected scheduling conflict- no problem. We would be arriving on the morning train from Cairo & requested an early check-in- no problem. I began to grow suspicious, because in Egypt "no problem" can just as often mean exactly the opposite. When we arrived at 9:30am we were immediately taken to a room... which was fine, except that the "Nile-view" was obstructed, and not only had my booking stated that our room would have a Nile view, but because of this I had informed my wife that I had booked a room with a Nile view. Imagine my displeasure- here it is her first time in Egypt, its up to me to make her happy (I planned the trip), and I tell her there will be a Nile view from the hotel room... well, I was frankly upset to say the least. At reception I was told that another room may be available after noon, if we could wait until then, so we waited w/o unpacking for an hour, and then decided to take a walk around the property... counting the number of empty rooms with unobstructed Nile views. I was fuming by the time I made it back to reception... why were we kept waiting when there were so many empty rooms? But my anger was soothed when upon my entry to the main lobby I was introduced, face-to-face with Mr. Hani, who by now knew me well. He informed me that he had given us the "very best" room... #118... and whether this is the case or not it doesn't matter... it had the "very best" view of the Nile of any of the rooms I had seen, therefore I will believe him. Thank you Mr. Hani for making our stay excellent, beyond our expectations.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pyramisa Isis Corniche Hotel

Reviewed January 5, 2012

OK! to start this is a very basic "hotel" chalet. Damp, cold, dirty (though must be "cleaned" daily as a basic), no more than a basic clean.
The breakfast is a joke!
Almost inedible! but you have to or you will starve! Murky coffee, when you can beg some!
Milk! Look for it! service, none! eggs yes, but its a candle that cooks it!
Ther is a nice man in the shop on complex, he's the best thing about this place!
Not recommended, but not much around Aswan is, except the Nubian Museum is worth a visit,
The ancient sites were within a taxi drive and good. Bad hassle in some souk areas, good in others, but its the climate, they need visitors, for the economy

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joy14607
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is not a hotel it is chalet's think of butlins or pontins.
The room we were first put into was next to a the toilets and the strong smell came into the room. changed rooms and was a little better, no smell, the room is very basic and cleaning is non-existant, the staff spend their time making animals out of the towels rather than clean the room.
Rated three star so we thought we could put up with it for 4 nights ended up staying 3 nights and could not wait to get back to luxor.
Best pay an extra few bob and get a Hotel. would not go there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marie W
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Isis Corniche Hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Aswan with plenty of amenities close by; there is a myriad of restaurants in the vicinity (I would recommend not eating in the hotel itself) and it is so easy to hop into a taxi or onto a felucca and visit the many attractions in the city. Of these, the Nubian Museum was the highlight and makes a delightful detour, being just 15 minutes' walk away.
I was impressed by the layout of the hotel and its rooms, which are clean, comfortable and well-priced. What was not so remarkable, however, was the painfully slow check-in and the information given by the staff varied greatly from person-to-person, particularly regarding prices and which sights to see. I do recommend booking a trip to Abu Simbel from reception, however, as this is also a good price and a well-organised trip.
The economic downturn in Egypt certainly seems to have hit Aswan hard. There was only one person working around reception on the day I arrived and I had to wait half an hour at least for someone to come and show me to my room, which I could easily have found myself. Service around the pool area was poor. Watch out for scams as an individual traveller; they seem to be more abundant here and in Luxor than anywhere else in Egypt with some touts trying to get some payback for the lack of tourists in recent months. Having said that I did meet some lovely people here and I would definitely recommend taking a felucca down the Nile at sunset.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pemos
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights after our Dahabiyya down the Nile.

Rooms were more basic than we had expected for the price point, but were nevertheless clean and comfortable enough.  The free wifi didn't extend to the room but worked fairly well in the reception area.

Location right on the Corniche is excellent for walking around Aswan. You do get a little street noise in the rooms nearest the road as Aswan can be a bit boisterous at night. They also had a really loud disco one night at the pool which went on quite late which we thought was pretty poor form.

The hotel also has a very nice pool area and cafe/bar right on the Nile.

Breakfast (included in room rate) was served at a restaurant overlooking the Nile and was also nice enough.

Hotel was able to organise a day trip to Abu Simbel at a good price although the bus was pretty cramped and crowded with every available seat including the fold down aisle seats were used.

Overall happy with the hotel but perhaps it's a bit overpriced for what you get as far as room quality is concerned!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We found this hotel to be very relaxing and comfortable. Each room is like a mini bungalow and we were close to the pool. We had lunch outside by the pool on the first day which was good, breakfast was even better. The hotel is right on the Nile with very nice views and close to the markets as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Nothing fancy but the room rate reflected that. Hotel staff were helpful and there were several places to sit and watch the Nile go by. I'd say, good value for all but the most fussy.

Room Tip: I'd suggest any room near the pool. All rooms are quiet since they are located below the noise o...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business