“Excellent location ... fantastic stay”

Movenpick Resort Aswan
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Aswan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

A fantastic stay indeed.

My expectations weren’t that high, I didn’t expect much! And soooooooooo delighted during my stay from everything.

Arrival :
Arrived the area by 7 am. Since the hotel is located on an island within the nile, they have a free of charge 24 hours ferry service, moving you from and to the hotel.
Went off the ferry, and I was like wow … what a beautiful scenery. I took the steps to the hotel lobby, breathing this magnificent air, surrounded by those beautiful plants.

Lobby :
Wasn’t that big … but was rather cute and classy.

Checking in :
Was ok, I had to explain that I’m a resident, though my passport has a residency STAMPED for one year, yet the receptionist , who knew very little apparently, assumed that everyone gets in the country gets such stamps!!!
I first had a room overlooking the main land, which was a fine view, yet wasn’t what I had mind, thus called back the reception and asked nicely to be transferred to another room overlooking the “ Kitchener’s island “, the botanical plants island. The receptionist ( the same one with the residency issue ) was very helpful and immediately transferred me to another room.

The room:
Pictures attached showing the room. It was spacious, very clean, the bathroom was great, the bed was comfortable.

Separate area – in front of the bathroom – for the wardrobe, which was big enough.

It had a big balcony … views from the balcony attached. During the day you get to see this amazing nature. So beautiful and peaceful.

At night, the kitchener’s island has colourful lights as the picture shows, seriously amazing.

The only problem I had with the room was the air conditioning, which I was told later on that the management is working on fixing it.

The best thing was that EVERYDAY I get in the room to see a new artistic recreation done by the housekeepers ... they were really cool.

Restaurants :
Only visited during breakfast, which was amazing. A great selection that would suit everyone’s taste. The staff was very helpful, especially Mr. Ali who was the MASTER of “ oriental beans “, though he was a waiter yet he prepared me a bowl of oriental beans “ fool “ with his great touches of spices that were perfect. Also special thanks to the chefs, juniors and seniors, especially those responsible for the eggs.

Room Service:
Was great, very affordable prices, fast service.
Special thanks to Mr. Mahmoud from room service. He answers the calls, and whenever I call I ask for his opinion on what to choose, his choices from the menu were PERFECT. I tried the Club sandwich, the burgers, and the tomato soup. He was very polite and helpful.

Views of the hotel :
Spectacular from every angle. The best could be seen from the restaurant/café on the 13th floor in the main building, that has a panoramic view of Aswan as a whole.

Pool :
Was amazingly clean and huge …

In a summary :
I've had a very pleasant stay, and was really impressed by the standards of the hotel, didn't expect it to be that good.

Special thanks to Mr. Ali from, the waiter at the main restaurant, who's been exceptionally helpful and friendly.

Regarding my room cleanliness, many thanks to Ms. Fatima and Mr. Abd-Allah who ensured I got a clean room with an elegant artistic touch with their floral recreations daily ...

Finally, Mr. Rabee, the chauffer who was exceptionally honest and very friendly.

I’d go back in a second if I could … wish to visit again and again :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Muhammad A
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Beloved Guest,

Please let me thank you for having shared your impressions through Trip Advisor site during your recent stay at Moevenpick Resort Aswan .

We wish to express our sincerest admiration for the lovely comment in favor of our property.
It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay.

No matter how I explain, you must know that your words are like a huge Reward to my Team and me. Again, thank you.

We have passed on all your comments to our team and they all joining me in hoping that it will not be too long before we can welcome you back again soon for your next visit to Moevenpick Aswan or at any of our properties worldwide for long stay.

We do hope you will keep Aswan and Moevenpick Hotels & Resorts in your good memory.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

It all started to go bad when we first arrived at 1330 and it took 1 1/2 hours to get checked in ( hotel was maybe 10% full).Then the front desk lady preceded to tell us that only 2 rooms were available and none were the room we had booked. Not a good start but we got over it until they took us to a city side room ( I suppose every side of the hotel is a nile view but we paid extra to be on the quite side of the nile). After talking to the manager, we were quickly upgraded to a suite on the quite side and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our stay there. The tower is an eyesore but it also gives you some amazing views of the tombs of the nobles and the city. The infinity pool was relaxing on a hot aswan day. I dont think we would stay here again but not because of the hotel itself but because the price is compared to other hotels in the same category.
side note - Eat as much movenpick Ice cream as you can handle because you'll miss it as soon as its gone.

Room Tip: They consider all rooms to be nile view but ask for one away from the city if noise is an issue for...
2  Thank CK202120
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Valued-Guest,

Please let us thank you for having chosen Moevenpick Resort Aswan to be your hotel choice.

We are delighted to read your review on Trip Advisor based on good score and we hope you will keep Aswan and Moevenpick Hotels & Resorts in your good memory.

Therefore, allow me to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that may you witnessed as per your said comments during your check/in. As the aim of Moevenpick Hotels and Resorts is “To always offer the highest standard of service in friendly & professional way” which is indeed totally different from what you have lived at the beginning.

Your comments indeed help me to shed the light on certain aspects. Yet, I wish this situation did not leave a sour taste or negative impact on our beloved guests such you.

Thank you, again, for having brought these issues to our attention and we do hope that we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back again at our resort or at any of our properties worldwide.

General Manger

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Large rooms, good sized pool and adequate restaurant. In September the place was rather empty, so rather lacking in human company, but that is not the fault of the hotel. No need to be put off by the ferry to the island on which the hotel sits. The ferry runs 24 hours a day, and is free, although a small tip to the ferryman is usually appreciated but not obligatory.
A nice bar too for an aperitif, but a bit expensive (the barman is actually very good and his Martini just hits the spot).
Try a short felucca ride to the botanical gardens just across the river on the next island.
I recommend this place.

1  Thank pisumcorporum
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Beloved Guest,

Please let me thank you for having shared your impressions through Trip Advisor site during your recent stay in September at Moevenpick Resort Aswan .

It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay.

We have passed on your comments to our team and they all joining me in hoping that it will not be too long before we can welcome you back again soon for your next visit to Moevenpick Aswan or at any of our properties worldwide for long stay.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The place is no beauty... The tower is an eyesore visible from far away, the pool area and rooms painted in kitschy style which i guess (??) was meant to resemble the local style/art.

That being said, it is very clean, has all the comforts and a good sized pool from which you have a view on the town & the Nile.

We stayed in a standard room, 110gbp incl breakfat. it was quite a large room and wwe have a view over the hotel gardens & the Aswan botanical garden

decent breakfast with a lot of choice
It is on an island - so wherever you go you will need a boat. the hotel shuttle boat was a comfortable way of getting to the shore though.

decent place to stay if the cataract is booked out (like it was for us)

Room Tip: standard room was good ize and with a nice balcony with a view on the Aswan botanical garden
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Valued-Guest,

Please let us thank you for having chosen Moevenpick Resort Aswan to be your home away from home.

We are delighted to read your comment on Trip Advisor, and we are so happy to know that you've enjoyed the Nile view on Aswan botanical garden during your stay.

Again, we thank you for transmitting to us your valuable feedback. In the meantime, we do hope that you will keep Aswan and Moevenpick Hotels & Resorts in your good memory.

Looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to Moevenpick Resort Aswan or to any of our properties worldwide, and we remain.

With best regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were only in the Hotel for one night but what a location! - The view from the Restaurant on the13th floor is amazing especially as the Sun goes down. The room and dinner was very good. The restaurant staff were excellent and very helpful. Wish we could have stayed longer. Sitting on the Balcony watching and listening to a typical Aswan evening across the Nile from our hotel was quite magical, (The hotel is on Elephantine Island - The Island of the Pharoahs Palace).

Room Tip: Rooms on 4th floor overlooking the Hotel Gardens, Aswan and the Nile are very good.
1  Thank CCR_GR
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I don't have the words to describe the beauty of Aswan and its people, it's breathtaking.

Hotel: location is amaizing, we were in a superior room over looking the great views of the nile, in a peaceful quite lovely place.

Food in the hotel is very satisfying, you for sure will find what you need as the variety is amaizing.

Service is unmatched and the complementary deserts and drinks that I found in the room were surprising.

Boat service every 10 min and is good thing, for sure ill try to repeat the same experience again in the coming month.

Aswan is full of beauty, from its people to food and stunning views.
Honestly I'm trying to find one thing that was not a 5/5 but I can't!

Br tamer

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ttimos
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Beloved Guest,

Please let me thank you for having chosen Moevenpick Resort Aswan to be your holiday destination.

You’ve enjoyed your overall stay; we shall pass on your impression and the nice words you wrote to all our team members, it is a valuable source for us to review our performance and strive to achieve excellent standards of product and service to our loyal guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon for your next visit to Aswan and our resort or at any of our properties worldwide for long stay.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We always return to the Movenpick in Aswan :)

The hotel is lovely, Aswan itself is stunning.

Hotel: Attractive, Good location (boat into Aswan every 10 mins). Beautiful surroundings. Wildlife etc...

Pool: Cool, clean. The pool staff members are so helpful and good at what they do (best in Egypt). Pool bar menu has lots of choice and tastes fantastic.

Rooms: Large, Spacious, Welcoming, Fantastic views, Very clean, very 5*. Complementary drinks and cakes were a lovely touch.

Staff: Lovely and honest. Ali the porter always looks after us. Mary on guest relations is also an absolute gem - she will help you out with most things. It’s also cheaper to book tours through the hotel than to go with an agency such as Memphis (whose service this year was not acceptable - review to follow). Unfortunately though the most amazing hotel manager left this hotel a couple of months before we arrived...this was a shame and he made the hotel extra special. This is reflected as some silly 'rules' have now been applied by new management and they niggled me a bit. E.g, weren’t allowed to buy a bottle of wine and take it up to the room?? Something we always did on previous visits...shame. Though they do still have happy hour 9-10pm where everything is 1/2 price :)

We look forward to returning :)

Room Tip: They are all Good :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aiman Z, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Aswan, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Valued-Guest,

We are delighted to read your review on Trip Advisor based on good rates. We hope you will keep Aswan and Moevenpick Hotels & Resorts in your good memory.

We thank you again for your valuable comment, and I would like to inform you that I am the New Hotel General Manager, My name is (Aiman Zaki) in place since 2 weeks and it would be my pleasure to welcome you personally to provide you with an unforgettable and exotic experience during your next Visit..

Moreover, your said observation has been taken Very seriously. Which will be discussed with all concerned departments to identify the defects that we should prevent repeating in the future, hence, we apologize for any shortcomings, As the aim of Moevenpick Hotels and Resorts is to always offer the highest possible standards maintained with high quality of Management Offered by friendly service, as part of our “Truly dedicated and Authentic Products “Strategy.

Thank you for having brought these issues to our attention and we do hope that we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back again at our resort or at any of our properties worldwide.

General Manger